Martin Approval Thread part 2

Hire or Fire

• Total voters
We really do live in a " what have you done for me lately" world. Anyone remember last year? How the team really grew and improved? Anyone remember Maymon? Anyone think the last couple of games might have been different if Golden were healthy and available?

We were losing games like that when Golden was healthy.

I say make the tourney next year or get out. It's a business.

Reactions: 1 person
You know that isn't what he's saying. People like volbeast simply overlook the word 'arguable' and crucify him for acting like it's even up for debate (and it definitely is). And you're actually intelligent, unlike most posters. That's why this question is kind of embarrassing.

IE stated that last yr should not be used as an example of success.......the other guy tried using the arguably excuse to make last yr sound better. 99.9% knew that Tennessee was not going to the tourney before the selection results were announced. Using the term arguably, means it could have went either way and that's just not accurate.

Martin did an awesome job an Mo. State, but so far this team is really disappointing, even without Maymon they shouldn't be this bad

Martin did so well at Mo State that he did not make AA tourney, just saying.

As with Dooley, year 3 will be Martin's litmus test.
No excuses.
Even then, he could be here til the end of his contract and sub par recruiting will be his eventual demise.

IE stated that last yr should not be used as an example of success.......the other guy tried using the arguably excuse to make last yr sound better. 99.9% knew that Tennessee was not going to the tourney before the selection results were announced. Using the term arguably, means it could have went either way and that's just not accurate.

Had UT made the tournament, would that have been the most ridiculous bubble decision by the committee in NCAA history?

If yes, then we can stop here. We simply disagree.
But if no, then that would make you wrong.

Just because none of us thought we were getting in didn't necessarily mean we weren't getting in; in my opinion, there have been bigger surprises before. That's just my opinion though.

Had UT made the tournament, would that have been the most ridiculous bubble decision by the committee in NCAA history?

If yes, then we can stop here. We simply disagree.
But if no, then that would make you wrong.

Just because none of us thought we were getting in didn't necessarily mean we weren't getting in; in my opinion, there have been bigger surprises before. That's just my opinion though.

Exactly. No one expected Pearl's first team to be a #2 seed based on what they did down the stretch, but the committee put a lot of weight on SOS. In 2007-08, everyone thought Tennessee was going to be a #1 seed, but they weren't, largely due to not making it to the conference tournament championship. No one knows what the selection committee will put a lot of emphasis on.

Didn't we lose to MTSU in the 2nd round of the NIT last year? Yet you think we were NCAA tourney material? Really?

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't we lose to MTSU in the 2nd round of the NIT last year? Yet you think we were NCAA tourney material? Really?

Florida made the Elite Eight last year. We SWEPT them. Yet you don't think we were NCAA tourney material? Really?

That argument can go both ways.

To be clear, I don't think we should have made it either. But using one game as the basis for your argument is kind of strange. Just saying.

Funny thing is, I do really believe that we have top 25-30 talent. I may be extremely hard on this team most of the time, but I really do think this team as a whole has underachieved. If we had Maymon, and Trae Golden played/plays the way hes capable of playing, there would be no doubt wed be in the top 25

Im very proud of Jordan MCrae. He has really stepped up his game. I just wish hed be more vocal. He has to be our leader since Golden cant be when he is healthy.

you all must be the same posters that wanted to give Dooley another year, and posted fire him after every game. Good luck Conzo backers.

Florida made the Elite Eight last year. We SWEPT them. Yet you don't think we were NCAA tourney material? Really?

That argument can go both ways.

To be clear, I don't think we should have made it either. But using one game as the basis for your argument is kind of strange. Just saying.

One game wasn't my basis. The MTSU game was just their last poor performance of the year by that team. They missed the NCAA tourney based on their season results which were mediocre at best, even with two upsets against FL. Why didn't they play to that level against poorer teams in the SEC? Look at who they lost to in the SEC! Too inconsistent and very poor shooters. They reached the pinnacle they deserved.

Last edited:
One game wasn't my basis. The MTSU game was just their last poor performance of the year by that team. They missed the NCAA tourney based on their season results which were mediocre at best, even with two upsets against FL. Why didn't they play to that level against poorer teams in the SEC? Look at who they lost to in the SEC! Too inconsistent and very poor shooters. They reached the pinnacle they deserved.

I completely agree. 120%. Good post.

I just thought you were saying "Well, we lost to MTSU so of course we shouldn't have made it." But I see what you meant now.

MTSU wasn't a bad team last year. Should UT win that game most of the time? Sure, but anytime you have an underdog program with a chance to knock off big brother then they have more to prove than UT does. MTSU is pretty good this year too. They've already beaten Ole Miss and Vandy.

MTSU wasn't a bad team last year. Should UT win that game most of the time? Sure, but anytime you have an underdog program with a chance to knock off big brother then they have more to prove than UT does. MTSU is pretty good this year too. They've already beaten Ole Miss and Vandy.

Tennessee was up by 10 with eight minutes to go.

Golden went limp.

Tennessee lost.

Tennessee was up by 10 with eight minutes to go.

Golden went limp.

Tennessee lost.

And whether we like it or not, we usually go as Golden goes. He may not be the best player, but he is the last player we can afford to lose because of our ball handling ability. Or lack thereof.

We lose yesterday without him. Just like we did at Ark and at home against UGA. I wish the game against UGA would've been on the road. We now have to try and steal one from them on the road.

Hes right. If Golden plays soft and is not aggressive, then we are in trouble. Just like Keith Appling for my MSU Spartans...they go as he goes.

Agreed totally. Simply on principle, a mid-major will always have way more to play for in the NIT than a high-major. Not trying to make excuses, as they beat us fair and square, but we barely missed the Dance, so it mattered more to them. That's a fact.

MTSU might get an at large bid this year. They are really really good.

VN Store

Back