Martin Approval Thread part 2

Hire or Fire

• Total voters
I'm not advocating firing Martin - we've made the bed we lay in. What would generate a shread of optimism is if he brings in some new staff. This one is terrible. Fouls and turnovers are a symptom of fundamentals, and this team is lacking those on the sec level.

I just don't know if that would realistically do any good. Fouls and turnovers are two things that weren't nearly as big of a problem last year. Either that is trending into a problem, or it's a fluke right now. Given that we saw virtually the same team playing so much better last year, I'm inclined to believe that this is a fluke. I just don't think it would do any good to replace the others because if we're this bad next season, they're all going to be gone anyway.

Keep martin. Since a lot of you are saying fire him,
who would be our next coach then?

We really do live in a " what have you done for me lately" world. Anyone remember last year? How the team really grew and improved? Anyone remember Maymon? Anyone think the last couple of games might have been different if Golden were healthy and available?

Turnovers are a direct result of not having a true PG. McRae is a 3 and even Golden is not a true PG, and IMO still does not make great decisions. To me, it's not fundamentals but recruiting. This won't get fixed unless Martin finds himself a true PG. Guard play is so important.

I know it's so frustrating how we are playing, but to even consider firing the man, is just overreaction and frankly, dumb. We would be a laughingstock after firing a coach after 2 years with the situation in which he was hired. Plus, our AD is not in a situation to pay another buyout. I really am losing faith in fans because people just throw logic out the window. I am as competitive as the next guy, but our coach isn't going anywhere right now.

I'm not ready to give up on him but I. Have to admit my confidence in Cuonzo and his staff is waning. He's such a good guy and his back story is so good you really want the guy to get it done. I think Cuonzo is old school and unfortunately kids today like the hot sauce type of coach. Next year he has to make the big dance or I'm afraid he'll be shown the door. Probably won't matter anyway as the AD will roll the dice again and hope for an answered prayer.

He gets until after next season

This.

If we can't win then, it will be time to cut him. Good timing for a judgement day IMO, not too early, not too late.

I really hope Zo can succeed here, but I will have to hop off the float if he can't produce next season. At this point, I would be shocked if we miss the tourney. As for Martin's job status, recruiting will also be a factor on his judgement day. A lot can happen with the '14 class between now and next March.

We really do live in a " what have you done for me lately" world. Anyone remember last year? How the team really grew and improved? Anyone remember Maymon? Anyone think the last couple of games might have been different if Golden were healthy and available?

Last year? We went to the NIT and lost 2 out of the last 3 to finish the year. With the cherry on top being a home loss to MTSU. You shouldn't use last year as a measuring stick of success.

Reactions: 1 person
Last year? We went to the NIT and lost 2 out of the last 3 to finish the year. With the cherry on top being a home loss to MTSU. You shouldn't use last year as a measuring stick of success.

Do you remember the run and how they were, arguably, snubbed of an NCAA berth? Of course you don't.

Do you remember the run and how they were, arguably, snubbed of an NCAA berth? Of course you don't.

We weren't "snubbed" last year. We didn't win the games early in the year or when it counted most late in the year.

We weren't "snubbed" last year. We didn't win the games early in the year or when it counted most late in the year.

And they were "arguably" snubbed because in years past, the selection committee has taken in account new players (or players returning from an injury) and how the team performed down the stretch. That is something that obviously wasn't considered as strongly as it has before.

And they were "arguably" snubbed because in years past, the selection committee has taken in account new players (or players returning from an injury) and how the team performed down the stretch. That is something that obviously wasn't considered as strongly as it has before.

Whoever thinks we were snubbed last yr is making a really weak argument.

Reactions: 2 people
Whoever thinks we were snubbed last yr is making a really weak argument.

It's the same argument regarding when a player misses ten games and go .500, but then he comes back and they win .750. Whether you like it or not, that is how the committee has selected in the past, but they didn't last year.

It's the same argument regarding when a player misses ten games and go .500, but then he comes back and they win .750. Whether you like it or not, that is how the committee has selected in the past, but they didn't last year.

18-14...... Don't care what kind of run you go on......you are not making the tournament with limited big wins and some pretty bad losses......add in that we played in a very weak conference.

Reactions: 1 person
18-14...... Don't care what kind of run you go on......you are not making the tournament with limited big wins and some pretty bad losses......add in that we played in a very weak conference.

Yet again, I said "arguably". I'm not disputing that argument. Just said arguably they were snubbed. Sheesh, the reading comprehension of this board is mind boggling.

Yet again, I said "arguably". I'm not disputing that argument. Just said arguably they were snubbed. Sheesh, the reading comprehension of this board is mind boggling.

Arguable means that their is a good argument on either side of the issue......no one thought we were getting into the ncaa tournament after we lost to ole miss.

Wait, you're trying to tell people they don't have reading comprehension because you said we were snubbed? And I don't care if try to qualify it with arguably or not. We were NOT snubbed.

Wait, you're trying to tell people they don't have reading comprehension because you said we were snubbed? And I don't care if try to qualify it with arguably or not. We were NOT snubbed.

No no. Don't try that. You don't think we were snubbed. Sorry to say it but that doesn't make it true. That's embarrassing. Seriously.

I don't believe we were snubbed either. But I, like most normal people, am actually willing to see the other side. It is arguable because he is making an argument for it. The man makes a decent case.

Knew this board was too quiet without IE 95 around. Wish that layoff had lasted a little longer....

Wait, you're trying to tell people they don't have reading comprehension because you said we were snubbed?

You know that isn't what he's saying. People like volbeast simply overlook the word 'arguable' and crucify him for acting like it's even up for debate (and it definitely is). And you're actually intelligent, unlike most posters. That's why this question is kind of embarrassing.

No no. Don't try that. You don't think we were snubbed. Sorry to say it but that doesn't make it true. That's embarrassing. Seriously.

I don't believe we were snubbed either. But I, like most normal people, am actually willing to see the other side. It is arguable because he is making an argument for it. The man makes a decent case.

Overall, I don't think they were snubbed either. However, based on going 10-3 down the stretch in the regular season, when historically the selection committee looks very highly on that, it could be said that they should have been in. I wasn't kicking chairs over when they didn't make it, but I questioned why they weren't based on the fact that previous years they would've been in.

It's like being arguable the earth is flat. Good point.

If UT beats Ole Miss in the SEC tourney it was definitely arguable that UT was going to get an at-large bid. They needed one more win. If you argue otherwise, you are clueless.

VN Store

Back