Marriage

If ever been married, have you had a marriage that ended in divorce?

• Total voters
Married to my ex-wife for almost 4 years, and we were together 5.5 years total. Now, I am married to an amazing woman, and have been with her going on 2 years the end of August. We just got married the first of April, but this marriage is night and day from the previous one. Plus, it doesn't hurt that she loves the Vols like I do.
Glad to hear things have worked out for you.

Reactions: 1 person
31 years this September. She told me she would kill me before leaving me. I guess I got that going for me...

Reactions: 4 people
31 years this September. She told me she would kill me before leaving me. I guess I got that going for me...

Congrats! Glad to see someone exceed the 3 decade mark.

My wife and I will celebrate our 30th next year. We were also high school sweethearts before getting married so we know each other pretty well.

There's some good advice in this thread. Once you've made the commitment, your marriage is largely dependent on what you and your spouse choose to make of it. Everyone has some bad habits, but it's always amazed me how some people can be more forgiving of friends or even complete strangers than they are their own spouse. I would also add... the success of a marriage is also increased by really getting to know your future spouse before making the commitment (and I don't mean "know" in the biblical sense).

Once you've made the commitment, your marriage is largely dependent on what you and your spouse choose to make of it. Everyone has some bad habits, but it's always amazed me how some people can be more forgiving of friends or even complete strangers than they are their own spouse.

You are exactly right. My grandparents are 82 and been married 65 years.

Parents were married 30 years before my dad passed away. Grandparents are celebrating 58 Monday.

Not divorced

My parents-38 yrs+ not divorced
My dad's parents not divorced(neither is living)
My mom's parents- not divorced, but my grandfather died before I was born and my grandmother later remarried and is still married to who I know as my grandfather.

Been married for almost 4 years. My wife is by far my best friend. Both of our sets of parents are divorced. Not to mention mine my step-father and step-mother have previous divorces. And my sister has a divorce. I feel like I have learned a lot of what not to do. Lived together prior to getting engaged to make sure that we knew each other extremely well. Also, made the decision not to succumb to family pressure to have kids early in the relationship just so family members can have grand kids. We still do not have kids and have come to the mutual decision that we will have them when the time is right and we both want to have a child.

However, the greatest thing we do is talk to my step-grandparents who are celebrating their 76th wedding anniversary in the next month. Some damn good advice has come from them.

Been married for almost 4 years. My wife is by far my best friend. Both of our sets of parents are divorced. Not to mention mine my step-father and step-mother have previous divorces. And my sister has a divorce. I feel like I have learned a lot of what not to do. Lived together prior to getting engaged to make sure that we knew each other extremely well. Also, made the decision not to succumb to family pressure to have kids early in the relationship just so family members can have grand kids. We still do not have kids and have come to the mutual decision that we will have them when the time is right and we both want to have a child.

However, the greatest thing we do is talk to my step-grandparents who are celebrating their 76th wedding anniversary in the next month. Some damn good advice has come from them.

Very smart thing to do. Some people don't make that right decision and the children end up paying for it as well as the parents.

Very smart thing to do. Some people don't make that right decision and the children end up paying for it as well as the parents.

With both of us coming from divorced families, we understand the importance of a whole family. Hell I'm 30 and whenever I go home, I still run into the issues of having 2 sets of parents.

Neighbors across the street are on the way to a divorce with a 9 month year old girl. Can't believe they had a child in the first place. I feel horrible for the child.

With both of us coming from divorced families, we understand the importance of a whole family. Hell I'm 30 and whenever I go home, I still run into the issues of having 2 sets of parents.

Neighbors across the street are on the way to a divorce with a 9 month year old girl. Can't believe they had a child in the first place. I feel horrible for the child.

I have a friend that is just starting the divorce process and he has two kids under the age of 6. I feel awful for the kids. The one good thing about it is it seems my friend and his soon to be ex are being very amicable about things.

Been married just a year and a half here. Like an above poster, we're waiting a little while before we have kids. Both sets of our parents have been married 30+ years.

I have a friend that is just starting the divorce process and he has two kids under the age of 6. I feel awful for the kids. The one good thing about it is it seems my friend and his soon to be ex are being very amicable about things.

Hopefully they can stay civil for the kids sake. I have a friend and he and his wife have grown apart and neither really cares to fix it but they are staying together for the kids. He said they will reassess the situation when the kids are grown. They're youngest is two and for now they live in the same house but live separate lives. I think this is a terrible idea by the way.

Never been married. Still in college. Parents been together for 30 years. Both sets of grandparents are going 55+ years.

Hopefully they can stay civil for the kids sake. I have a friend and he and his wife have grown apart and neither really cares to fix it but they are staying together for the kids. He said they will reassess the situation when the kids are grown. They're youngest is two and for now they live in the same house but live separate lives. I think this is a terrible idea by the way.

I am hoping they can stay civil because the way they are acting now it might actually work out. I am sure they will have their bumps in the road, but the way things are going now it might be ok.

I think staying together for the kids stake is a terrible idea. It just makes you reset each other that much more. Also, I think the kids would pick up on something like that when they got to a certain age.

I have heard the number is above 50%.

Never been married. Although I come from a long line of successful marriages (as does my current girlfriend).

How do I answer the poll? I married, got divorced and remarried my ex. No kidding.

I wonder what the breakdown is by demographics.

Like do people who get married very young have higher divorce rates? Also is there a difference between different socio-economic classes?

VN Store

Back