Mark Richt has lost control of the Cincinnati Bengals

Marvin Lewis should have been fired years ago.
They have always been a team of Thugs and Idiots.
The fact that Pacman Jones is even on the Team is exhibit number 1. The ownership needs to have a blood letting.

To be fair, Steelers acted awful towards us and had plenty of dirty moments. They're nothing but a bunch of classless pricks. Dirtiest team in the NFL.

All of this started when Burfict hurt Leveon Bell and celebrated afterwards. A steeler tweeted him pissed bc of the way Burfict celebrated and the next time they played the Bengals started a fight at midfield before the game. I, personally love it when two teams hate each other like the Steelers and Bengals do. Go Steelers!!!

Nobody is saying the some Bengals fans and players didn't act horribly. However, acting like the Steelers are blameless angels tonight is ridiculous. The hit on Bernard that somehow didn't even draw a flag was one of the dirtiest hits I've seen this year. The defender lowered his head and drove straight up from under Bernard's facemask. It's actually amazing he didn't knock half his teeth out.

It wasn't dirty....... Maybe should have been flagged but it was a normal hard football play.

There's no place in football for leading with the helmet up into the opponent's helmet should be considered clean. Of course the Steelers fan sees nothing wrong with it. The Steelers were just as guilty last night, they just got the benefits of acting like a bunch of thugs.

Last edited:
It wasn't dirty....... Maybe should have been flagged but it was a normal hard football play.

That's an interesting take, considering that I don't recall a single other instance of something like that going unpenalized this year. If it "maybe should have been flagged" then it wasn't a normal play. He went in fully intending to seriously injure the ball carrier, and Bernard was lucky to walk away with a relatively minor injury.

It's pretty much Shazier should have been flagged though.

Per ESPN:

As we all try to process exactly what happened, let's answer some questions involving the major events from that point on:

Why wasn't Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier penalized for a hit that appeared to knock out Bengals running back Giovani Bernard?

In short, Shazier should have been.

With 1:43 remaining in the third quarter, Bernard made a two-yard catch and took enough steps to become a runner -- thus stripping his protection as a defenseless receiver. Shazier, however, then lowered his head and hit Bernard's helmet. Shazier could have done so legally under certain circumstances, but he made at least one and possibly two mistakes on this play that should have been penalized.

The first was a violation of NFL Rule 12, Section 2, Article 6(i), which defines unnecessary roughness as "using any part of a player's helmet or facemask to butt, spear or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily." Given the force of Shazier's hit, it would be hard to argue against that definition.

Second, it's debatable whether Shazier could have been penalized for initiating contact with the crown of his helmet outside of the tackle box, a violation of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8. The rule defines the tackle box as "an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line." Per the unofficial game statistics, Bernard was two yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

That's an interesting take, considering that I don't recall a single other instance of something like that going unpenalized this year. If it "maybe should have been flagged" then it wasn't a normal play. He went in fully intending to seriously injure the ball carrier, and Bernard was lucky to walk away with a relatively minor injury.

Then you've not seen the hit Burfict put on Maxx Williams of the Ravens in week 17. Wasn't flagged....cheap shot.

There's no place in football for leading with the helmet up into the opponent's helmet should be considered clean. Of course the Steelers fan sees nothing wrong with it. The Steelers were just as guilty last night, they just got the benefits of acting like a bunch of thugs.

It's grown man going full speed..../ I don't necessarily feel that what Burfict did was dirty either.... Guys are going full speed body angles change constantly.... Was it a penalty? Yes but dirty I'm not positive.

It's pretty much Shazier should have been flagged though.

Per ESPN:

And Pitt should have had the touchdown on that play.... The refs missed two calls on the same play.... It's a high speed sport with guys running unbelievably fast.... You have to be able to play through it.

It's grown man going full speed..../ I don't necessarily feel that what Burfict did was dirty either.... Guys are going full speed body angles change constantly.... Was it a penalty? Yes but dirty I'm not positive.

They weren't going full speed. And he speared with the crown of his helmet into Bernard's face mask. Live in denial if ya want to.

They weren't going full speed. And he speared with the crown of his helmet into Bernard's face mask. Live in denial if ya want to.

Bernard caught the ball standing up turned and went lower.... Shazier was running full speed to hit him and had already lowered his head to hit him.... He hit him in the upper shoulder and glanced into his face mask.... Could he have been flagged? Yes.... Not sure on the rules bc it confuses me..... Was it dirty? No, this is football

Bernard caught the ball standing up turned and went lower.... Shazier was running full speed to hit him and had already lowered his head to hit him.... He hit him in the upper shoulder and glanced into his face mask.... Could he have been flagged? Yes.... Not sure on the rules bc it confuses me..... Was it dirty? No, this is football

Aren't football players taught from a young age to keep your head up when tackling? Sounds to me, by lowering his head, he's not only turning himself into a torpedo with the point of impact being the crown of his own helmet, but also going against everything he was ever taught.

Glanced? Man, you are in denial

Glanced? Man, you are in denial

He nailed him.... It hit his shoulder pad and went up into the face mask...... It's football, quit being a baby....I really don't think Burficts was dirty either if he hadn't been acting like a punk all the time.

And Pitt should have had the touchdown on that play.... The refs missed two calls on the same play.... It's a high speed sport with guys running unbelievably fast.... You have to be able to play through it.

Actually, with either correct interpretation of those rules /penalty, there wouldn't have been a fumble either.

He actually noted that a below that section, in what's really a pretty neutral article.

In either event, Bernard lost a fumble on the play. A call for either of these penalties would have returned the ball to the Bengals.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that this part "cost them the game" or that "they should have won had it been called. I'm not here to argue that a missed call cost a game or anything like that.

My thought here was more that if the NFL is so gung ho on "player safety" especially regarding head injury, these things have to be called - especially the ones that were already outlined as unnecessary roughness well before the concussion protocol started. (Not just for player safety, but to keep things from flaring up later in games like we saw.) Even Merrill Hoge, a former Steeler, went on a rant during ESPN's post game show about how things like that, which are under the subsections of Rule 12: player conduct, had to be called in situations like that.

Last edited:
Actually, with either correct interpretation of those rules /penalty, there wouldn't have been a fumble either.

He actually noted that a below that section, in what's really a pretty neutral article.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that this part "cost them the game" or that "they should have won had it been called. I'm not here to argue that a missed call cost a game or anything like that.

My thought here was more that if the NFL is so gung ho on "player safety" especially regarding head injury, these things have to be called - especially the ones that were already outlined as unnecessary roughness well before the concussion protocol started. Even Merrill Hoge, a former Steeler, went on a rant during ESPN's post game show about how things like that, which are under the subsections of Rule 12: player conduct, had[/] to be called in situations like that.

He will probably be fined for what happened.... The refs are not watching these actions in SLO-MO like the rest of us are.... One season the steelers received three letters from the NFL saying they were sorry for missed calls that directly cost them a shot at the playoffs.... it happens and is part of the game.... I was saying they also got the fumble call incorrect after the hit.

He nailed him.... It hit his shoulder pad and went up into the face mask...... It's football, quit being a baby....I really don't think Burficts was dirty either if he hadn't been acting like a punk all the time.

LOL, talk about being in denial. Here's the video, just to put to rest any confusion. The crown of his helmet smashes directly into Bernard's facemask before making contact with part of his body.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Amt_kYqE4UQ[/youtube]

LOL, talk about being in denial. Here's the video, just to put to rest any confusion. The crown of his helmet smashes directly into Bernard's facemask before making contact with part of his body.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Amt_kYqE4UQ[/youtube]
Ok it did it his face mask first.... Still not dirty..... It's football.

Ok it did it his face mask first.... Still not dirty..... It's football.

Going into a tackle with your head down like that is ABSOLUTELY not a part of football, at least for anyone who has even a shred of concern for their own safety or that of others. Nobody who was taught by competent coaches learned to tackle that way.

IMO, trying to intentionally wreck a guy's face like that might even have been frowned upon in the tougher, more hard hitting eras.

in the past, it would have just been a hit that the other team intended to revenge

nowadays, it's that plus a 15-yarder

VN Store

Back