Manning on coaching rumors

My sister-in-law's best friend was flying to Charlotte and had to go to the bathroom so went up to the first class restrooms. When she was walking through she saw Gruden and Manning who were flying in First Class in an intense conversation while looking at TN plays on their IPads with notepads titled 'list of potential assistant coaches' and '2018 Recruits'. On they way back from the bathroom they had put up their stuff and were pretending to sleep. I think it is happening. ANNOUNCEMENT MUST BE COMING SOON.

And so many clowns acting like it will never happen.

Jump higher Vols.

Go back to the interview that launched this conversation: Peyton Manning talks about future, possibility of being QB coach at Tennessee - DanPatrick.com. Therein, Peyton categorically eliminated consideration of a head coaching position and didn’t even reference the offensive coordinator’s role. Dan Patrick specifically asked, “Well, what if Tennessee calls and says we need a quarterback coach? I mean you can’t turn down your alma mater.” Peyton offered the following response, “Quarterbacks coach I would do at Tennessee. Head coach absolutely not. For whatever reason people in Tennessee like me right now. You become head coach and cut it in half. Why are you throwing on fourth-and-1? Why did you punt there when you should have gone for it? It’s like being in politics. Quarterback coach you can stay under the radar. You get your quarterbacks throwing a lot of completions, you probably could stay in good favor. Maybe if they call, that’d be something."

If you take the context and tone of that interview into consideration, however, there definitely was a lot of joking, so it's difficult to know just how seriously one should have taken Peyton's remarks. (Listen, for example, to the segment where Peyton enumerates all of the NFL quarterbacks that he would defeat in a 40-yard dash.) Of this we can be absolutely certain, however. Peyton truly loves the University of Tennessee and its football program. He also stated in that interview, "I enjoy teaching football and that's kind of what I feel I do at our football camp. I enjoy talking about football and teaching things I've learned as a quarterback through the years." That is probably the context within which he will continue to periodically contribute to Tennessee’s football program.

Then Butch needs to make the dang call already lol

I agree but I personally think down the road after a few years he would re-think coaching at UT. Maybe not anywhere else but UT yes.

I cant imagine it happening, and the talk around it is based on a bunch of nothing. If he did, I could see it playing out like a Larry Bird kind of scenario. I dont think he could handle todays athletes and their attitude.

Reactions: 1 person
after a long and distinguished career in ownership and management of an NFL club, maybe then-- and only maybe, he might return to his roots at Tennessee as the athletic director if the need arose. That's at least twenty years down the road. But forget about him ever coaching at Tennesse. Think Bill Battle

after a long and distinguished career in ownership and management of an nfl club, maybe then-- and only maybe, he might return to his roots at tennessee as the athletic director if the need arose. That's at least twenty years down the road. But forget about him ever coaching at tennesse. Think bill battle

100% imho.

after a long and distinguished career in ownership and management of an NFL club, maybe then-- and only maybe, he might return to his roots at Tennessee as the athletic director if the need arose. That's at least twenty years down the road. But forget about him ever coaching at Tennesse. Think Bill Battle

Bill Battle? Wtf?

Bill Battle? Wtf?

I think he's saying that Bill Battle, who played at Alabama, eventually went back many years later to become their AD....the position he currently holds. Hope he'll correct me if I'm misinterpreting it, but I think that's his example/point with respect to what he believes Peyton may eventually do.

I think he's saying that Bill Battle, who played at Alabama, eventually went back many years later to become their AD....the position he currently holds. Hope he'll correct me if I'm misinterpreting it, but I think that's his example/point with respect to what he believes Peyton may eventually do.

Should've given some more context IMO especially since Battle was our HBC from 70-76 prior to being fired and replaced with Majors.

Edit: not to mention that Battle was never wanted by Bama as a coach.

Last edited:
Should've given some more context IMO especially since Battle was our HBC from 70-76 prior to being fired and replaced with Majors.

Just guessing what he meant. Was confused as well when I first read it as to what he meant by the Bill Battle comment.

Not necessarily true. Bama trained him as an assistant, then we shipped him to Knoxville.
(see Vince Dooley's little boy)

I think he decided it was more fulfilling to be a multi-millionaire businessman than getting replaced cause Johnny came marching home.

Thanks for the history lesson - you're obviously the only one here that knows anything about Battle and the collegiate licensing business he started.

Exactly. Majors, Fulmer, Chavis and Sanders have been crucified by some of the fans when they did nothing but bleed orange. The way Sanders was treated here during the last half of his final season as OC was especially despicable. He may not have been the best, but it was embarrassing the way some fans came down on him.

Couldn't agree more Norris lake vol Sanders didn't exactly set the world on fire the last last of when he was here but he is still a VFL and should,of been treated as such . and bye the way I live about ten minutes from Norris lake on the clinch side . in speedwell tennessee .

do you think we might have been quick to dump Sanders? He is doing fine now coaching up a Heisman winner quarterback and coordinating the offense on a National Championship team. He's put more in the trophy case recently that we have.

I agree but I personally think down the road after a few years he would re-think coaching at UT. Maybe not anywhere else but UT yes.

Why do you think that? Supplementary income to get him through retirement? Boredom? Free tickets to all the Vols games? He loves traveling around the country in airplanes and making public appearances so much that he has to stay involved in the game in some capacity, no matter how small?

Raise your hand it you didn't know that Bill Battle is a multi millionaire after forming his own company basically gaining exclusive rights to college sports apparel for universities across the nation before Alabama hired him as an AD when Mal Moore retired. He played for Bear Bryant, so he's a natural fit at Bama.

Context.........how much you need?

Last edited:
do you think we might have been quick to dump Sanders? He is doing fine now coaching up a Heisman winner quarterback and coordinating the offense on a National Championship team. He's put more in the trophy case recently that we have.

Lord no, he was terrible. Doesn't excuse the way he was treated, but no he was awful, and I rarely speak negatively about someone who puts their heart and soul into their job, but Sanders just wasn't getting it done, and our QBs showed no improvements from the moment he took over.

VN Store

Back