Mandatory Savings?

I still wonder when retirement became a right. Once I accumulate enough to stop working I'll do it but until then I'll just keep going into the office.

The idea we need to use more govt to protect people from their own idiocy is an amazing concept. I'm more than happy to take care of myself if the govt will allow it

You dont have to retire. You can work til the day you die if you choose to. If you do decide to retire and feel guilty about taking government money you don't have to. You can always write the US Treasury a check for all the social security checks you receive. You dont have to use Medicare. You are more than welcome to take care of yourself.

Reactions: 1 person
You dont have to retire. You can work til the day you die if you choose to. If you do decide to retire and feel guilty about taking government money you don't have to. You can always write the US Treasury a check for all the social security checks you receive. You dont have to use Medicare. You are more than welcome to take care of yourself.
So your suggestion is to fund my retirement and the retirement of others who feel is their right to stop working at a certain age? That sounds about right and the people cashing those checks today won't be around to see it all fall apart for their kids and grandkids. But hey, at least you got yours

What I want is to keep my money and use it to fund my own life. I am more confident in my abilities than anyone in the govt

Off topic but breaking news: pj you took that avi of Cuonzo down too so. It is being reported he has been hired by Cal. UT presser at 2:30 today

Yes. Force people to take money out of the economy. It's a brilliant idea.

The only thing this does is create a cash cow for the government. Those that don't save now will be required to save instead of spending that money and keeping it in the economy. The government "borrows" from it because the SS system is broke. Those that do save now have to put money in a mandated account. The government borrows from it because the SS system is broke. Either way the government gets it. The dems don't care one bit about the economy.

I think a flat tax would be great, however, I don't really ever think in my lifetime we will see a change.

I think a flat tax would be great, however, I don't really ever think in my lifetime we will see a change.

It would be great to have a flat tax. No credits or anything like that just abolish the irs in its current state. If you work, regardless of income, you pay the same. States can have a tax & a sales tax but do away with "property" taxes on everything under the sun.

You don't say. Not everyone defines an office in the same way either

I notice you couldn't point me to when retirement became a right.

In all fairness to Velo, I think the point was the world needs ditch diggers too, and there is nothing wrong with that. But you can't dig ditches for as long as you sit in an office all day.

Unless I'm mistaking, you have been in favor of trade school for HS students in lieu of college right? What if you can't physically do a trade forever and income is such that saving for a 40 year retirement isn't feasible?

That may be a bad way to explain my point...and I'm not saying retirement is a right, because it isn't. I don't want to fund anybody else's retirement either. But I am willing to acknowledge there may be cases here where something will have to eventually give.

In all fairness to Velo, I think the point was the world needs ditch diggers too, and there is nothing wrong with that. But you can't dig ditches for as long as you sit in an office all day.

Unless I'm mistaking, you have been in favor of trade school for HS students in lieu of college right? What if you can't physically do a trade forever and income is such that saving for a 40 year retirement isn't feasible?

That may be a bad way to explain my point...and I'm not saying retirement is a right, because it isn't. I don't want to fund anybody else's retirement either. But I am willing to acknowledge there may be cases here where something will have to eventually give.

I understand but there are limits to every job. If someone is digging the same ditches with the same shovel for 20-40yrs then IMO they either didn't care to do better or mentally couldn't. I have no issue with taking care of the latter but the retirement of the former is not my concern. My dad dug ditches one summer to buy my mom's engagement ring and one of his other jobs was cleaning smokestacks. He did it because that's what he had to do but realized it wasn't a life goal. He was able to semi-retire before 60 and cited those jobs as a reason. Said it would have been earlier if he understood investing sooner.

if I sit in an office staring at a computer all day I could get carpal tunnel or eye problems. Should I be able to retire and have it funded for others simply because I can't change careers?

I am all for learning a trade but there should be a path of advancement in mind too. Can't be an apprentice all your life and expect to get the golden parachute on your way out.

I understand but there are limits to every job. If someone is digging the same ditches with the same shovel for 20-40yrs then IMO they either didn't care to do better or mentally couldn't. I have no issue with taking care of the latter but the retirement of the former is not my concern. My dad dug ditches one summer to buy my mom's engagement ring and one of his other jobs was cleaning smokestacks. He did it because that's what he had to do but realized it wasn't a life goal. He was able to semi-retire before 60 and cited those jobs as a reason. Said it would have been earlier if he understood investing sooner.

if I sit in an office staring at a computer all day I could get carpal tunnel or eye problems. Should I be able to retire and have it funded for others simply because I can't change careers?

I am all for learning a trade but there should be a path of advancement in mind too. Can't be an apprentice all your life and expect to get the golden parachute on your way out.

Well said PJ................a first for you :)

VN Store

Back