Making a Murderer (w/ Spoilers)

I don't know that he didn't do it, but they didn't prove he did. Our legal system is supposed to be based on the premise of "innocent until proven guilty" but the way he was treated was essentially "guilty until proven innocent". That's not right.

What makes you think he did it?

As desperate as the county cops were to put him away, I don't believe they'd stoop to murder. So it had to be someone in the Avery clan. Steve is as likely as anyone else in the family to have killed her, if not more so.

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of them putting her in her own vehicle served, as is alleged.

Remember these guys had IQ's of 70..so the average person will have a difficult time trying to wrap their minds around these peoples actions. In the show they say several times that both of these guys have little to no coping skills and cognitive reasoning because of their low intelligence.

As desperate as the county cops were to put him away, I don't believe they'd stoop to murder. So it had to be someone in the Avery clan. Steve is as likely as anyone else in the family to have killed her, if not more so.

Avery was about to get millions and im sure the rest of the family figured he would take care of them.People talk about the Avery family iq but i dont think the cops iq was much higher.The sheriff saying on tv why would we frame him when we could just kill him lol and the detective with the framed sketch that he all but traced from Stevens first mug shot.

I have watched the first two episodes. I am very intrigued by this whole matter. I have to say that the police work in the rape case was pretty terrible. It seems to me the police had it out for SA for some reason.

I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes.

Avery was about to get millions and im sure the rest of the family figured he would take care of them.People talk about the Avery family iq but i dont think the cops iq was much higher.The sheriff saying on tv why would we frame him when we could just kill him lol and the detective with the framed sketch that he all but traced from Stevens first mug shot.

I still don't understand the dispatch call Colburn made about the plates "99 Toyota, right?"

Like I said, even if one acknowledges the producers' bias, I highly doubt that there was truly enough evidence to convict Avery beyond a reasonable doubt. But if you were to ask me "who is most likely to have killed Teresa Halbach?", my answer would be "Steve Avery".

The sheriff didn't like Avery and he thought he was guilty of the rape incident even with DNA evidence saying it was the other guy. I'm thinking the sheriff's office wanted to make sure that Avery didn't get away with this, so they planted additional evidence.

Avery could have done this, but as others have mentioned, there is reasonable doubt. The phone calls from his girlfriend from prison supposedly during the time-frame of the murder showed a normal relaxed state of mind for Avery.

Remember these guys had IQ's of 70..so the average person will have a difficult time trying to wrap their minds around these peoples actions. In the show they say several times that both of these guys have little to no coping skills and cognitive reasoning because of their low intelligence.

but yet they were clever enough to get rid of all dna evidence of her in the house and garage.

wasn't the settlement for $400k?

but yet they were clever enough to get rid of all dna evidence of her in the house and garage.

I think it said he was set to get 450k about the time they arrested him. The guy that was head of the Avery Task force figured up 25k per year for every year he was in jail.

I believe 18 million was what they was suing the county for and during the depositions is when they started catching cops in lies.Then a couple weeks later they l charged him with murder and once in jail he took the 400k settlement.

The lawsuit was for up to 36 million dollars. I do remember that. The 450k was from some program the state of WS had going for wrongful imprisonment.

You can teach a monkey to clean..I wouldn't call anything they did "clever". I mean the *67 phone calls probably pushed Avery's melon to the brink of meltdown.

And what is funny a bout the 400K is that he could have received at least 450K according to Wisconsin state law after being found innocent. They pay like $25,000 a year of false imprisonment..

I'm halfway through right now; have not read any comments but had to stick my head in to say this documentary is insane!!

My wife and I have just started watching this. I think Netflix as a whole is great but did most of you guys watch this taking everything with a grain of salt? Do you think you are really going to get the true picture of what happened in this case?

My wife and I have just started watching this. I think Netflix as a whole is great but did most of you guys watch this taking everything with a grain of salt? Do you think you are really going to get the true picture of what happened in this case?

After I watched it I read a lot of articles online regarding the other side of the story. Still hasn't been proven to me that he did it

The most astounding thing, for me, isn't the story of Steve Avery, but rather the visible and concrete confirmation of many folk's worst fears: coordinated government corruption and lengths and depths they are willing to employ to remove threats and avoid exposure of their illegal and unconstitutional actions.

Sure, everyone has heard of or at least suspected a certain level of corruption by our elected officials, but rarely has it been exposed like this.

If a small WI county agency with minimal resources is capable of this, what does that say about our State and Federal leadership? How often do events like this happen? Is the Steve Avery story the tip of the iceberg??

The film also shines an embarrassing light on the media; whose idea of reporting the Steve Avery case amounted to announcing what government officials spoon fed them. What does that say about the viability of what's on the nightly news?

At best, we get half truths - at worst, we get complete fabrications and bold faced lies.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm on episode six and really the only thing that sticks out to me is how rough the Avery family looks in the courtroom. Its like Island of Dr.Moreau in there.

And the defense is still funny. Frame job! Avery is too smart to do that! Avery is too stupid to do that!

This ranks up there with Truthers and Birthers. I'll call them Aviaries...

Last edited:
The most astounding thing, for me, isn't the story of Steve Avery, but rather the visible and concrete confirmation of many folk's worst fears: coordinated government corruption and lengths and depths they are willing to employ to remove threats and avoid exposure of their illegal and unconstitutional actions.

Sure, everyone has heard of or at least suspected a certain level of corruption by our elected officials, but rarely has it been exposed like this.

If a small WI county agency with minimal resources is capable of this, what does that say about our State and Federal leadership? How often do events like this happen? Is the Steve Avery story the tip of the iceberg??

The film also shines an embarrassing light on the media; whose idea of reporting the Steve Avery case amounted to announcing what government officials spoon fed them. What does that say about the viability of what's on the nightly news?

At best, we get half truths - at worst, we get complete fabrications and bold faced lies.
You see corruption? I see small time rural incompetence which was/is absolutely rampant. That makes it easy for the defense to try and claim frame job.

You see corruption? I see small time rural incompetence which was/is absolutely rampant. That makes it easy for the defense to try and claim frame job.

I'll say it like this. Is there a possibility that SA did it? Yes, but most of the evidence the DA had on SA seemed to be complete fabrication. Was there other evidence that wasn't showed on the documentary? There could be but what is it..?? The thing that makes me say it's fabricated is, the monitowok county police department found most of the evidence. And, it was found by two of the cops that should have never been allowed to be on the Avery's property. Most of the evidence was found weeks after the Avery's were kicked off their own place for eight days. Eight days, nothing. The only thing found was the rav 4 and I think it was said, there was 4 or 5 ways to get onto the property.

It would take quite a few pages to write down everything that was wrong with this case.......

I'm not a fan of Clay Travis and don't really like giving him pub, but I do like this article from his lawyer perspective.

He doesn't convince me that Avery is guilty, but I do think it's more probable than not that he is.

On Making a Murderer | FOX Sports

VN Store

Back