LV softball recruiting...wow!

If she had a scholarship offer from the Weeklys, she's got to be a pretty good player. I have to believe that this is in part due to our getting commitments from the shortstops who are playing for the CIT championship in California-

I think the scholarship money may have something to do with it. She verballed as an 8th grader and had some injury issues the last couple of years. She transferred from Ezell to Oakland here in Murfreesboro (she lives here but was going to Ezell to play ball). She was the District player of the year but I'm almost sure it was because of the one game where she hit the 3 consecutive HR's. She fits the mold the Weekly's were looking for, lefty slappers with some power. Good but not great hitter.

I think the bottom line was, she was only offered books $$, and got a better offer from Kennesaw. But i'm mostly speculating here, since I have not spoken with her family. She is a good kid though.

Is Logan Caymol on the team next season?
How about Maddison Pacini?

Thanks guys....

No surprise about Branhill....She is dominant and they are still playing.

Alright...here's my $0.02 on softball recruiting. I've posted a long reply in another softball thread, and here's a summary of my thoughts right now:

Remember when Lane Kiffin offered a 13 year old earlier this month and several sports media outlets went bat crap crazy? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709782-tee-martins-13-year-old-son-kaden-gets-scholarship-offer-from-lane-kiffin-fau Well, in softball this is the norm. You get 13, 14 and 15 year olds to commit to you before they commit elsewhere. Now, in softball it's a little different, as

1) scholarships are not all 100%. Each team has an allotment (12.5 I think). If you want to carry 13 players, you can offer 12 a full ride, and the 13th a half. Or you can offer 27 players all a half. Or whatever combo you want. Point is, it's not like football or basketball where an offer is 100%. So that is fungable. Each coach does what they want at each school.

2) Once a player "commits" they are off the table for other coaches to recruit. Unwritten rule. There might be some back channeling, maybe schools are asking around about how much money you got (see #1 above). Maybe you committed to a school for 50%, but they can give you 80%...that will make its way to the recruits family, but it's rare. For the most part if you commit as a 13 or 14 year old, other schools will back off.

3) They are 13, 14 and 15 year olds! Who knows what they will develop into between 8th grade and freshman year of college. I've used Ally Shipman as an example before, and will again now. It seems like we've heard about her coming to UT since she was first able to walk. She's still 2 years out! Think about that for those that have heard about her coming here for a long time now. Still 2 years out! The issue for coaches is not just getting the players committed, but making sure that when they commit as 8th, 9th or 10th graders, but making sure they keep working hard to improve every single day. That is the biggest thing, as the coaches are not with the kids so they rely on the travel ball coaches to make sure the kids are getting better. Sure, these are verbal offers and can be pulled, but if you do that there will be a backlash in the softball community. All the travel ball clubs, coaches, parents, etc will hear about how you offered someone a verbal and took it back. End of story.

All this to say, softball recruiting is probably the most speculative recruiting of all the sports out there. I've been at showcases and have talked with college coaches who see a 14u player they've heard about or has contacted them with interest, they want to get to know her, but really want to see her parents. Why the parents? They want to see how big mom and dad are, as in their mind they can project what the player will become physically.

There will be 8th grade girls this summer that commit to SEC schools, UT will probably get a commit or two from an 8th or 9th grader this summer. But you won't see it on ESPN. You won't hear about it on the radio. But it is happening every day. Right now as I type this there are 5 girls that just finished, or are finishing, their freshman year in high school that are UT commits. How many football commits do we have at that age? Basketball? Softball recruiting is a completely different world.

Reactions: 2 people
Alright...here's my $0.02 on softball recruiting. I've posted a long reply in another softball thread, and here's a summary of my thoughts right now:

Remember when Lane Kiffin offered a 13 year old earlier this month and several sports media outlets went bat crap crazy? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709782-tee-martins-13-year-old-son-kaden-gets-scholarship-offer-from-lane-kiffin-fau Well, in softball this is the norm. You get 13, 14 and 15 year olds to commit to you before they commit elsewhere. Now, in softball it's a little different, as

1) scholarships are not all 100%. Each team has an allotment (12.5 I think). If you want to carry 13 players, you can offer 12 a full ride, and the 13th a half. Or you can offer 27 players all a half. Or whatever combo you want. Point is, it's not like football or basketball where an offer is 100%. So that is fungable. Each coach does what they want at each school.

2) Once a player "commits" they are off the table for other coaches to recruit. Unwritten rule. There might be some back channeling, maybe schools are asking around about how much money you got (see #1 above). Maybe you committed to a school for 50%, but they can give you 80%...that will make its way to the recruits family, but it's rare. For the most part if you commit as a 13 or 14 year old, other schools will back off.

3) They are 13, 14 and 15 year olds! Who knows what they will develop into between 8th grade and freshman year of college. I've used Ally Shipman as an example before, and will again now. It seems like we've heard about her coming to UT since she was first able to walk. She's still 2 years out! Think about that for those that have heard about her coming here for a long time now. Still 2 years out! The issue for coaches is not just getting the players committed, but making sure that when they commit as 8th, 9th or 10th graders, but making sure they keep working hard to improve every single day. That is the biggest thing, as the coaches are not with the kids so they rely on the travel ball coaches to make sure the kids are getting better. Sure, these are verbal offers and can be pulled, but if you do that there will be a backlash in the softball community. All the travel ball clubs, coaches, parents, etc will hear about how you offered someone a verbal and took it back. End of story.

All this to say, softball recruiting is probably the most speculative recruiting of all the sports out there. I've been at showcases and have talked with college coaches who see a 14u player they've heard about or has contacted them with interest, they want to get to know her, but really want to see her parents. Why the parents? They want to see how big mom and dad are, as in their mind they can project what the player will become physically.

There will be 8th grade girls this summer that commit to SEC schools, UT will probably get a commit or two from an 8th or 9th grader this summer. But you won't see it on ESPN. You won't hear about it on the radio. But it is happening every day. Right now as I type this there are 5 girls that just finished, or are finishing, their freshman year in high school that are UT commits. How many football commits d have at that age? Basketball? Softball recruiting is a completely different world.

Cant disagree with this at all. I am not sure using Ally as an example is the right one because Madison was playing for us and she knew right away from what I understand she wanted to play for us. In their case I understand that the whole family will relocate to Kville at that time. Most of the time financials do not allow for this to happen. I will that kids who participate in the upper echelon of softball have parents who are better off than most other sport programs. At least the ones I know are.JMHO as always!:)

Cant disagree with this at all. I am not sure using Ally as an example is the right one because Madison was playing for us and she knew right away from what I understand she wanted to play for us. In their case I understand that the whole family will relocate to Kville at that time. Most of the time financials do not allow for this to happen. I will that kids who participate in the upper echelon of softball have parents who are better off than most other sport programs. At least the ones I know are.JMHO as always!:)

Using Ally was more of a comment about how young these girls are recruited. I think she was 7th or 8th grade at the time. It's just a crapshoot as do you really know how someone is going to play in college based off middle school performance? I mean I know that studs are studs. But what if the stud is a stud because they matured physically faster than others? Or maybe when they turn 16 or 17 they like art more than softball? Just never know and I don't think the average fan realizes how young these girls are when they are recruited.

EDIT - The biggest challenge I've heard from college coaches, as I've said before, is when they verbal someone in 8th, 9th, 10th grade is to make sure they keep working hard and don't get complacent.

Using Ally was more of a comment about how young these girls are recruited. I think she was 7th or 8th grade at the time. It's just a crapshoot as do you really know how someone is going to play in college based off middle school performance? I mean I know that studs are studs. But what if the stud is a stud because they matured physically faster than others? Or maybe when they turn 16 or 17 they like art more than softball? Just never know and I don't think the average fan realizes how young these girls are when they are recruited.

EDIT - The biggest challenge I've heard from college coaches, as I've said before, is when they verbal someone in 8th, 9th, 10th grade is to make sure they keep working hard and don't get complacent.

I know of a stud young lady that committed in the 8th grade and even went to campus to begin school. She changed her mind and indicated college softball was really a dream of her fathers. She found a young man while a high school senior and attended another university close to home and is happy. Father still pissed but it is what it is!!:thud:

Agree.

They keep track of them at showcases and at UT camps. Just because they are committed doesn't mean they stop recruiting them. Last summer they had 6-7 verbals at the camp. A couple of those were head scratchers, but the others were impressive.

2017 Pitchers Committed

#3 ranked Gabby Sprang 6'1" LHP Minnesota

2018 Pitchers Committed

#14 ranked Ashley Rogers 5'10" RHP Tennessee
#19 ranked Logan Caymol 6'2" RHP Tennessee

2019 Pitchers Committed

#14 ranked Callie Turner 5'9" LHP Florida
#40 ranked Anna Kate Hazelwood 6'0 RHP Tennessee
#43 ranked Amanda Curran 6'0" RHP Texas
#56 ranked Kiki Malloy 6'0" RHP Washington (father is Lawyer Malloy, He, his wife and 3 other daughters have or are attending the University of Washington)

Middle school and high school performance won't even get a College Coaches attention. It's all about travel ball. That's why recruiting services doesn't list Schools but do list travel ball teams

Whatever happened to .... Kaitlyn Martin ?? Not listed on UT Martin roster -- I was wondering how she turned out but maybe quit the sport ?

2017 Pitchers Committed

2018 Pitchers Committed

2019 Pitchers Committed

#56 ranked Kiki Malloy 6'0" RHP Washington (father is Lawyer Malloy, He, his wife and 3 other daughters have or are attending the University of Washington)

Gabby Sprang Rosemount is 2-2 this season...most recent game...http://www.mnsoftballhub.com/game/show/17092916?subseason=377746&referrer=3172822

Middle school and high school performance won't even get a College Coaches attention. It's all about travel ball. That's why recruiting services doesn't list Schools but do list travel ball teams

I was referring to the player's age at the time.

2017 Pitchers Committed

2018 Pitchers Committed

2019 Pitchers Committed

What site do you use to keep up with recruiting? Goldfastpitch doesn't do a good job keeping up anymore.I understand FloSoftball is pretty expensive but they don't say anywhere on their site how much a membership costs. I guess you have to start the sign up process and fill in all your info to find out. That would keep me from using them just on principal

What site do you use to keep up with recruiting? Goldfastpitch doesn't do a good job keeping up anymore.I understand FloSoftball is pretty expensive but they don't say anywhere on their site how much a membership costs. I guess you have to start the sign up process and fill in all your info to find out. That would keep me from using them just on principal

site has a list of collegiate commits through 2019, I think. It is pretty good but definitely not completely up to date. It does not list the two SoCal shortstops we've landed, for example, unless they've been added in the last couple of days, and there are at least a couple of other future Vols that apparently are missing, too.

There will be 8th grade girls this summer that commit to SEC schools, UT will probably get a commit or two from an 8th or 9th grader this summer. But you won't see it on ESPN. You won't hear about it on the radio. But it is happening every day. Right now as I type this there are 5 girls that just finished, or are finishing, their freshman year in high school that are UT commits. How many football commits do we have at that age? Basketball? Softball recruiting is a completely different world.

This is so good and spot on it should be pinned to the top of the board.

flosoftball and Goldfastpitch and internet research on players

Name POS Club Team Nat'l Rnk 2017
Gabby Sprang P Georgia Impact-Jeffreys 3
Amanda Ayala C/UT Jersey Intensity 37
Ashley Morgan C/UT Georgia Impact-Lewis 70
Brooke Langston 2B/OF Jersey Intensity 91

Name POS Club Team Nat'l Rnk 2018
Ally Shipman C So Cal Choppers-Fausett 3
Ashley Rodgers P/1B Tennessee Fury Premier-Parrott 14
Logan Caymol P East Cobb Bullets-Biele 19
Gracie Osborn C/MIF East Cobb Bullets-Biele 45
Madison Pacini C/OF So Cal Choppers-Fausett 50
Kalli Crawley C Tennessee Fury Premier-Parrott 77
Mikayla Alee SS So Cal Athletics-Richardson 171
Alexys Haskins 2B/OF Birmingham Thunderbolts
Kaitlin Parsons IF Firecrackers-Rico

Name POS Club Team Nat'l Rnk 2019
Callie Turner P Gold Coast Hurricanes 14
Nyomi Jones OF Firecrackers-Brashear/Thornburg 19
Madison Webber 1B/OF Birmingham Thunderbolts 30
Anna Kate Hazlewood P/1B Huntsville Sparks 40
Caitlyn McCrary 3B Birmingham Thunderbolts 42
Amanda Curran P/2B Texas Peppers 43
Kiki Malloy OF/P Washington Majestics 56
Jaelyn Operana OF/P Firecrackers-Brashears 62
Josie Willingham SS Tennessee Fury-Platinum 86

Name POS Club Team Nat'l Rnk 2020
Ryleigh White P/3B Beverly Bandits-Harms/Harkness 30
Emily Cazares OF OC Batbusters-Campbell 62
Autumn Belviy 3B/SS Ohio Outlaws 114
Caliyah Thompson IF Corona Angels
Rylie West C/OF Corona Angels

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I guess smaller is relative. 5'11" is smaller than 6'3". You may mean smaller than the average woman. I just looked it up since you asked this question-the average height of a woman in the US is 5'4".

I'm not a pitching coach but I would guess taller and stronger built generally help with sheer speed. It would probably be tough to come up with many pitchers who were smaller than the average woman who were dominant pitchers.

The hardest thrower ever is 6'3", Monica Abbott. I read recently where she was clocked at 77 in the pro leagues to set the record for fastest pitch by a woman. Back in the day you would hear the hardest thrower ever was Debbie Doom of UCLA in the early 1980's. She was taller than Abbott, about 6'5". People claimed she could throw 75. But you don't have to be an Amazon to throw hard. Lisa Fernandez wasn't very tall - maybe 5'6"? She is the best I've ever seen. She could throw 70+ and could make the ball dance like a puppet. When the US National team was having trouble beating Japan for awhile their pitcher named Ueno was a beast of a flame thrower. She could throw 72+. I don't think she was close to 6' - maybe 5'8"? with an average build.

When you say can a smaller pitcher "compete" with a taller pitcher, absolutely. The first unfortunate example that comes to mind is Taryn Mowatt. How tall was she Volnation? 5'5"? I don't think she ever topped 63 on the gun in the World Series, and the pitch that killed us was the one coming in at about 50. Abbott was hitting 69,70 and 71 a lot. All that matters is - can you get people out. And she shut us out the last 17 innings.

And before you guys get on me - I'm not blaming Abbott. She shut them out for 9 innings in game 2. Our offense stunk up the joint.

Thanks for the reply, interesting stuff. I really want to try and hit against some of these pitchers! UT should have a fundraiser where you get to take the plate and try to hit some of the crazy stuff they sling at you!

VN Store

Back