LV softball recruiting...wow!

at 24, I was two years past my USAF enlistment and was back home in Tn working on the farm and drinking like a fish... Been down a lot of roads since then but still recall it as the time of my life! :)

12465044.jpeg
star freshman pitcher Caylan Arnold

Reactions: 1 person
Can someone post some info about these 2018 recruits?

the 2018 class will not play at Tennessee until the spring of 2019 but in that class is another stud pitcher so we will have 4 pitchers to throw at teams that spring....Shipman's sister is also in that class....and Gregg's replacement at SS is with them too

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-sports/2016/11/10/pitcher-gabby-sprang-heads-tennessee-softball-class/93597002/

Only four players coming in next season. I expect Ayala will play a lot probably in Geers position. We have to improve at catcher and first base next year need some production from those positions got very little this season. Ashley has a good shot at taking the first base job unless some of the present roster players make a lot of improvement.

Thanks ..I knew it was Gabby ,smartphone spell check got me 😊.
I can't recall any previous left handed pitchers after Monica..

I don't remember if we recruited her to pitch or play a position but Danielle Pieroni was a lefty who pitched a little for UT. She was an absolute beast at Goodpasture. They won state 3 or 4 years in a row while she was there. Dominating high school pitcher. Didn't pan out for UT. Don't think she ended up staying all 4 years.

I don't remember if we recruited her to pitch or play a position but Danielle Pieroni was a lefty who pitched a little for UT. She was an absolute beast at Goodpasture. They won state 3 or 4 years in a row while she was there. Dominating high school pitcher. Didn't pan out for UT. Don't think she ended up staying all 4 years.

I heard Ralph that they had not heavily recruited any left hand pitchers since Monica. This was stated when Gabby committed the best I remember.:loco:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-sports/2016/11/10/pitcher-gabby-sprang-heads-tennessee-softball-class/93597002/

Only four players coming in next season. I expect Ayala will play a lot probably in Geers position. We have to improve at catcher and first base next year need some production from those positions got very little this season. Ashley has a good shot at taking the first base job unless some of the present roster players make a lot of improvement.

Knowing Ashley she will start being a catcher/1st baseman she will probably catch next spring and then move to first when Ally comes in the spring of 2019...the spot for Geer in the outfield will be a battle that I cannot wait to see don't forget about Batts

I would add that we need improved production at 3rd base.

As I said in another post in another thread Seggren played 5 varsity sports in high school...this is her first year to just play softball...she will be okay probably hitting well over 300 next year

As I said in another post in another thread Seggren played 5 varsity sports in high school...this is her first year to just play softball...she will be okay probably hitting well over 300 next year

I think that with the defense Seggern plays she is there for the long run. Maybe playing many different sports has something to do with her lack of offense but I myself doubt it. She made her name in summer ball. I think since she has a full year plus fall and winter workout she will come around. Even if push comes to shove she could be DHed for. JMHO as always!!:)

Seggern hit a slump much like Geer late in the season. At one time she was around .320 so she lost about 50 points. I think it was all about the length of the season suspect she will be much improved next season. If she can hit around .300 that will be fine considering her defensive ability.
I think when you have first basemen and catches hitting around .220 that is a problem both those position should be hitting higher and with a lot more power.

Knowing Ashley she will start being a catcher/1st baseman she will probably catch next spring and then move to first when Ally comes in the spring of 2019...the spot for Geer in the outfield will be a battle that I cannot wait to see don't forget about Batts

Would be great if she could come in and take the catchers job. I really haven't given up on Lockman but think she has to produce as a junior or go to the bench. Batts is a great little player think she will definitely be in the battle for more playing time.

Seggern hit a slump much like Geer late in the season. At one time she was around .320 so she lost about 50 points. I think it was all about the length of the season suspect she will be much improved next season. If she can hit around .300 that will be fine considering her defensive ability.
I think when you have first basemen and catches hitting around .220 that is a problem both those position should be hitting higher and with a lot more power.

If those 3 positions can hit .300 or up with a little more power I would take it in a heartbeat.:) the last 4 or 5 games Seggern was turning on the ball and getting decent swings. She looks to have changed her position in the batters box a little bit.

I liked Weimer at catcher. She is intense and seems to communicate well.

I'm afraid runners would have a field day on her. From her limited action she doesn't look like she has an SEC arm

She may need to work on that. She pops up quick and seemed to dare that runner to steal. I like her attitude on the field.

The way she throws makes for a terrible arm. She is a right handed and throw off the left foot. She raises her right foot in the arm puts weight on the left foot. This certainly would make for a weaker throw. If they correct this then we would need another look at her arm strength.

The way she throws makes for a terrible arm. She is a right handed and throw off the left foot. She raises her right foot in the arm puts weight on the left foot. This certainly would make for a weaker throw. If they correct this then we would need another look at her arm strength.

Well the Weeklys have until February to coach her up. If they teach Lockman to hit that would work too.

Vols4life, thanks for the info. I searched but couldn't find details on them, only that it is a class of 9 currently ranked #1.

I know it's water under the bridge, but with our current catcher offensive weakness can y'all imagine if Annie Aldrete hadn't had her unfortunate situation, had stayed, and remained the player she was? She would've been a senior this year. We would've had at least one more world series appearance and who knows what else. She hasn't been the same player since. Very sad for her and us.

Vols4life, thanks for the info. I searched but couldn't find details on them, only that it is a class of 9 currently ranked #1.

I know it's water under the bridge, but with our current catcher offensive weakness can y'all imagine if Annie Aldrete hadn't had her unfortunate situation, had stayed, and remained the player she was? She would've been a senior this year. We would've had at least one more world series appearance and who knows what else. She hasn't been the same player since. Very sad for her and us.

If Annie had stayed and continued her same path and Koenig had been able to hit the outcome quite well would have been better. Annie is in a different situation but we have not had a big strong power hitter since Spigner left. She could not play defense well enough and lost her spot to Raven but she could hit. Koenig, Terrango were misses as far as power hitters. Terrango was susposed to be a pitcher as well but that did not pan out either. It seems like many of the Pac12 schools have more power hitters than slappers. They have pretty solid pitching as well. JMHO as always!:thud:

Aldrete's decision to leave was ... strange. Maybe it was good move for her emotionally, but changing schools as an an upperclassman is unusual and hard, and she's hasn't been the same player since transferring to the Univ. of California. She had a poor year last year and was worse this year--going into the NCAA she had 3 home runs was batting about 220. California did play pretty well in its regional before losing--but Aldrete went from having an All America type freshman year here to barely being a serviceable hitter as a senior. It's too bad for her and too bad for us--as her departure hurt as a team, no doubt.

The 2018 class, here, should be stout. A very strong bunch. They are all blue-chip prospects. Logan Caymol is tall--6' if not 6'1--and a hard thrower. Maddison Pacini, a California kid, is definitely one of the stars of this class--started playing up in top-level SoCal travel ball when she was 15/16. Ally Shipman, also from California and Maddison's sister, is a big-time catching prospect. Haskins is also said to be a fantastic player and athlete.

Add to the list Mikayla Allee--the shortstop on the top high school team in the country, Norco, of southern California. Excellent player. I believe we've got another southern California shortstop coming in that year as well--Kaitlin Parsons, who plays for Los Alamitos, the alma mater of both Holcomb and Geer. Speedy slapper who can play multiple positions.

Haskins, Alexys 2B/OF 2018 Tennessee Birmingham Thunderbolts
Caymol, Logan P 2018 Tennessee Georgia Impact-Lewis
Pacini, Madison C/OF 2018 Tennessee So Cal Athletics
Shipman, Ally C 2018 Tennessee So Cal Choppers-Shipman/Ziese

Aldrete's decision to leave was ... strange. Maybe it was good move for her emotionally, but changing schools as an an upperclassman is unusual and hard, and she's hasn't been the same player since transferring to the Univ. of California. She had a poor year last year and was worse this year--going into the NCAA she had 3 home runs was batting about 220. California did play pretty well in its regional before losing--but Aldrete went from having an All America type freshman year here to barely being a serviceable hitter as a senior. It's too bad for her and too bad for us--as her departure hurt as a team, no doubt.

The 2018 class, here, should be stout. A very strong bunch. They are all blue-chip prospects. Logan Caymol is tall--6' if not 6'1--and a hard thrower. Maddison Pacini, a California kid, is definitely one of the stars of this class--started playing up in top-level SoCal travel ball when she was 15/16. Ally Shipman, also from California and Maddison's sister, is a big-time catching prospect. Haskins is also said to be a fantastic player and athlete.

Add to the list Mikayla Allee--the shortstop on the top high school team in the country, Norco, of southern California. Excellent player. I believe we've got another southern California shortstop coming in that year as well--Kaitlin Parsons, who plays for Los Alamitos, the alma mater of both Holcomb and Geer. Speedy slapper who can play multiple positions.

Haskins, Alexys 2B/OF 2018 Tennessee Birmingham Thunderbolts
Caymol, Logan P 2018 Tennessee Georgia Impact-Lewis
Pacini, Madison C/OF 2018 Tennessee So Cal Athletics
Shipman, Ally C 2018 Tennessee So Cal Choppers-Shipman/Ziese

I know I sound like negative Nelly. Have you seen Caymol pitch? I have not seen her in person. She pitches for Buford in GA. That's where Bria Bush won 4 state titles, was pitcher of the year her last 3 years, then signed with UT and it didn't work out. She transferred to North Georgia, which is a division 2 school. She was their #3 pitcher this year with underwhelming numbers.

Now Caymol is winning championships at Buford-but the Bush saga makes me leery of high praise for another pitcher from the same school. It makes you wonder if they aren't a softball factory that can win with any above average pitcher.

Anyhow. There is a highlight video from WDUN-TV of Buford's state championship game this past season. Caymol pitches. She doesn't look overpowering to me - and gives up a home run around the 3:15 mark. She does end up winning the game and the championship. Here is a link for those interested: (Her team is wearing the green jerseys)

http://accesswdun.com/article/2016/...ord-east-jackson-move-into-championship-round

Last edited:
I know I sound like negative Nelly. Have you seen Caymol pitch? I have not seen her in person. She pitches for Buford in GA. That's where Bria Bush won 4 state titles, was pitcher of the year her last 3 years, then signed with UT and it didn't work out. She transferred to North Georgia, which is a division 2 school. She was their #3 pitcher this year with underwhelming numbers.

Now Caymol is winning championships at Buford-but the Bush saga makes me leery of high praise for another pitcher from the same school. It makes you wonder if they aren't a softball factory that can win with any above average pitcher.

Anyhow. There is a highlight video from WDUN-TV of Buford's state championship game this past season. Caymol pitches. She doesn't look overpowering to me - and gives up a home run around the 3:15 mark. She does end up winning the game and the championship. Here is a link for those interested: (Her team is wearing the green jerseys)

http://accesswdun.com/article/2016/...ord-east-jackson-move-into-championship-round

When evaluating/recruiting players, D1 softball coaches will typically never see a high school game or pay attention to a single high school stat.

Recruiting in baseball and softball is 100% about travel ball. High school teams/stats/games aren't a factor.

When evaluating/recruiting players, D1 softball coaches will typically never see a high school game or pay attention to a single high school stat.

Recruiting in baseball and softball is 100% about travel ball. High school teams/stats/games aren't a factor.

I completely understand that. Elite travel ball is much more competitive than high school ball. It's more competitive than some levels of college ball. You often see mind boggling high school stats that don't translate to college at all.So being dominant in high school does not mean you will be great (or even good enough to play) in college.

On the other hand, you WOULD expect a player to be dominant against high school players if they are going to be elite college players.

Would you agree it's fair to say if you don't dominate high school players you aren't likely to dominate college players?

AND even elite travel players don't always pan out. I assume every player we take (for the purposes of being an everyday player, not a pinch runner) was an elite travel player? And they don't all pan out.

And then you have a tweener. That crafty pitcher who is VERY good, and you surround her with college talent at every position on her travel team. And she wins - maybe a lot - but gets to the SEC and just doesn't pan out. Like the baseball player that's really too good for AAA but never quite cuts it in the majors.

My daughter played high school and/or travel ball against several pitchers in middle Tennessee that went on to play in the SEC. Megan Rhodes and Danielle Pieroni (both to UT) Jennifer Wright (Alabama) and Sara Hickerson (Miss St). Rhodes and Pieroni were both dominant in high school. Rhodes was a good SEC pitcher-Pieroni didn't really pan out. Wright was dominant and won titles in high school and was pretty good as I remember at Alabama. Hickerson was not really dominant in high school and she didn't pan out best I remember at MS ST.

I'll finish before my fingers cramp from typing so much. I'm not saying Caymol won't be the next coming of Abbott. I pray she is. I'm just saying - especially with pitchers - I gotta see it to believe it.:)

VN Store

Back