LV 2019 Recruiting Thread

Have to make a correction. Brown is not projected as a stretch 4. They expect her to play the 3. That is a main reason that she eliminated Baylor, Tenn and Lousville. All those teams wanted her to play with her back to the basket, where as at Oregon they had enough depth at the post positions to put her at the wing where she wants to play. With Brown at the wing the could field a front court of 6'9", 6'7" and 6'6" if they chose to. That's a men's team front court.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Have to make a correction. Brown is not projected as a stretch 4. They expect her to play the 3. That is a main reason that she eliminated Baylor, Tenn and Lousville. All those teams wanted her to play with her back to the basket, where as at Oregon they had enough depth at the post positions to put her at the wing where she wants to play. With Brown at the wing the could field a front court of 6'9", 6'7" and 6'6" if they chose to. That's a men's team front court.
Sounds like a team to run on to me

I saw in WNBA how easily Diamond blocked Aja's Wilson.. Check on WNBA clips..so tall is great if they're great players or else small guards will stop them all day.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Yes that certainly is the way to beat a taller team. run them off the floor. Yet to do that you have to get defensive boards off misses and steals off turn overs.. They struggled against athletic players they could not match up with in the half court game like Louisville. They had one who could match up with Durr. Yet they did not struggle that much against fast break teams. They played a very fast UCLA team, and although they got beaten badly their first game, they adjusted and won the second game.

As too half court defense, one can mitigate quicker players with height if the taller players are not to slow and make good use of positioning and footwork. A taller player can play off farther a shorter player. The thing is that except for the 6'8" senior, all their tall players are not slow and are relatively mobile. Even with their relatively slower players the Oregon Beavers have led the league in defense for some time now. I also think their showing against Louisville was somewhat influenced by them finally running out of gas due to their travel schedule which involved returning home for finals instead of staying east. Basketball outcomes are certainly also influenced by both match ups and timing.

Anyway it certainly will be interesting to see what happens with that sort of line up experiment? I for one am interested in how it will work out.

The Boneyard posted a South Carolina article stating Zia Cooke may announce this week, possibly today.

Yes that certainly is the way to beat a taller team. run them off the floor. Yet to do that you have to get defensive boards off misses and steals off turn overs.. They struggled against athletic players they could not match up with in the half court game like Louisville. They had one who could match up with Durr. Yet they did not struggle that much against fast break teams. They played a very fast UCLA team, and although they got beaten badly their first game, they adjusted and won the second game.

As too half court defense, one can mitigate quicker players with height if the taller players are not to slow and make good use of positioning and footwork. A taller player can play off farther a shorter player. The thing is that except for the 6'8" senior, all their tall players are not slow and are relatively mobile. Even with their relatively slower players the Oregon Beavers have led the league in defense for some time now. I also think their showing against Louisville was somewhat influenced by them finally running out of gas due to their travel schedule which involved returning home for finals instead of staying east. Basketball outcomes are certainly also influenced by both match ups and timing.

Anyway it certainly will be interesting to see what happens with that sort of line up experiment? I for one am interested in how it will work out.

From what I got from CHW's presser, they have been working on their understanding of the use of athleticism to beat taller flat-footed rebounders. e.g..If you're airbound, you can reach over a flatfooted person from behind and snag/and/pull in the rebound from the top without getting an over the back, if you work on it. (There are drills for this).

The crux of the biscuit is to "utilize what you've got,, to beat whoever you are playing, no matter what the makeup of the team is (tall, fast, shooters, etc)." Rock paper scissors:

height beats speed (On the bringdown, if the passes are kept high and the receiver catches and pivots with the ball kept high, they can easily pass over a smaller teams and right into the post)
speed beats proficiency ( Speed is used to both attack the bringdown and to intimidate any chance of running a set offense)
proficiency beats height (Great shooters make defenses dictate the subbing for floor players over taller players)

Reactions: Willtalk
Some think she and Jackson may go to SC.[/QUOTE

If so good luck to them 😁 glad we are in on some top talent again for the 2020 class as a whole there are like 10 recruits for that class. A class of 3- 4 would allow for another follow up class of fit perfectly with what we already have. You would think we would be more selective in the 2020 class.

Two bigs and a great guard will be a very good recruiting year when one considers all the youth on our roster.
Next year we will have 3 juniors and 4 sophomores.... with a ALOT of athleticism! The freshman next year won’t have to be thrown into the fire like the past two classes! I have a feeling Jordan will find her way on the court because of her athleticism and her passing ability and defensive skills are seemingly very good.

Looks like the big two (Jones and Boston) are visiting South Carolina this weekend! And together again next weekend at Uconn! Do they both go together??? 🤔

If they go to SC .... does that help us with Cooke or does that send Jackson to Rutgers or Miss. St. ? What if they go to UConn together or split with ND? SC still has Beal (guard) that could affect Cookes decision!
Does UConn strike out? Does SC strike out?
This is going to get interesting!!!!! 😁

I know this won’t help us, but I’d rather see them at SC or ND than UConn. The thought of these two at Uconn would be a little annoying.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Some think she and Jackson may go to SC.

SC has a lot of guards especially at pg. Taysha Harris (All SEC) and Bianca Jackson (Freshman of the year ) Plus Henderson is a top recruit from 2018 class... And we still don’t know about Haley Jones the #1 guard just had a visit to SC.... Just Saying! 🤔

Last edited:
I know this won’t help us, but I’d rather see them at SC or ND than UConn. The thought of these two at Uconn would be a little annoying.

NO... Let’s meet them in the final game and not two or three times a year ? Let them go to Norte Dame and Stanford. Let’s let UConn and SC strike out!!! 😁

Besides Dawn needs to win with everyone else’s transfers. Or so it seems ? 😈

SC has a lot of guards especially at pg. Taysha Harris (All SEC) and Bianca Jackson (Freshman of the year ) Plus Henderson is a top recruit from 2018 class... And we still don’t know about Haley Jones the #1 guard just had a visit to SC.... Just Saying! 🤔

Bianca Jackson was not freshman of the year. Chennedy Carter of A&M ran away with that award.

Bianca Jackson was not freshman of the year. Chennedy Carter of A&M ran away with that award.

My bad.... under the heading on their web site I mis read. Just freshman all SEC. still not bad! Point was their guards ( several good guards)

Azzi is #1 and will be at ND most likely

Azzi is not a lock for ND. ND, UConn, Maryland, Stanford and possibly South Carolina will be the biggest players in her recruitment I believe. Tennessee could sneak into a top 5 situation simply because Reaves and Gordon are doing an outstanding job of getting top tier players to consider Tennessee and Tennessee's history and facilities are as impressive as any.

there 152+ thousand reads of this thread that started 11 months ago. And many "mark my words" posters with intimate knowledge / speculations and second-sight on where a 16 year old female basketball may attend college. No offense xgpsh0821 but if I choose to mark your words I will write with chalk on a sidewalk on a rainy day.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back