Louisville making major announcement at 12:05 today

Before 1988, cheating like crazy.

After then, you gotta prove it if you're gonna allege it.

Kentucky basketball in the late 80's is the best example I can think of why there really is no deterrence to cheating. Within 7 years of getting hit with what seemed like severe sanctions at the time, everyone involved had not only fully recovered but was thriving. Kentucky had made the Final Four twice and won the '96 National Championship. Eddie Sutton had made the Final Four at Oklahoma State in '95, James Dickey was hired at Texas Tech and was SWC Coach of the Year twice ('92 and '96) and even now Dwane Casey is the head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Chris Mills transferred to Arizona and LeRon Ellis transferred to Syracuse. Shawn Kemp just went to the NBA and was a first round draft pick for Seattle. Sean Sutton joined his dad at Oklahoma State. The players who stayed at Kentucky even came out on top with their run in the '92 NCAA tournament. Only Eric Manuel suffered any long term consequences to his career at all.

I don't blame Kentucky or anyone else for cheating. Why not cheat?

Before 1988, cheating like crazy.

After then, you gotta prove it if you're gonna allege it.

You really believe Cal gets tons of 5* players every year without any shadiness going on?

No way man.

Only difference is, Coach K seems to be doing it a lot better here lately.

Reactions: 1 person
You really believe Cal gets tons of 5* players every year without any shadiness going on?

No way man.

Don't think we need to cheat as much as some schools. Kentucky and it's reputation as a powerhouse helps sell itself. A school like UL? It makes sense.

Don't think we need to cheat as much as some schools. Kentucky and it's reputation as a powerhouse helps sell itself. A school like UL? It makes sense.

UL I can understand.

But even I believe Coach K & Roy Williams is cheating to some extent despite being great coaches.

College Basketball is a business and some other coaches are just too good by not getting caught.

Pearl is the worst Cheater in the game right now.

UL I can understand.

But even I believe Coach K & Roy Williams is cheating to some extent despite being great coaches.

College Basketball is a business and some other coaches are just too good by not getting caught.

Pearl is the worst Cheater in the game right now.

Yeah that's the truth about this sport sadly.

I honestly don't know what you can do to though. Schools are always going to cheat. And unless they are as blatant and reckless as UL, it's impossible to catch (and even harder to actually punish).

Yeah that's the truth about this sport sadly.

I honestly don't know what you can do to though. Schools are always going to cheat. And unless they are as blatant and reckless as UL, it's impossible to catch (and even harder to actually punish).

If the FBI is getting involved, eventually the NCAA will be forced to have some sort of punishment if a school gets caught.

Otherwise, the schools that don’t cheat probably won’t be wining National Titles anytime soon, sadly.

No way man.

Only difference is, Coach K seems to be doing it a lot better here lately.

Cal hasn’t had any issues at UMass or Memphis. And he isn’t competing for players at schools that have been exposed for cheating. Why would you conclude he would cheat at UK? Ridiculous.

Signed,
UK Fans in Denial

But it WAS a deterrent for Kentucky. 2 years of no postseason tournament and 1 year TV ban was, at the time, a significant hit in regards to revenue.

As a result, they hired a compliance officer, Sandy Bell, who was an NCAA compliance guru, to ensure that this didn't happen again at UK. She is still at UK, by the way.

Question is: WHO do we punish? Current players? How about the innocent current players? Incoming players? The fanbase? How long do we punish- for life or for a time? IMO, Kentucky just took their medicine, made the necessary reforms, and moved forward (Unlike Louisville and UNC, although their outcomes were different to this point).

They were forced to give back $350,000 that they had earned by their appearance in the 1988 NCAA Tourney.

Eric Manuel received a proper judgment for cheating on the ACT.

If you remember the story of the turnaround, that first year with Pitino, they were bad by Kentucky standards: 14-14 with only 8 scholarship players. The next year, they were 22-6 and had to forfeit the SEC title to LSU/Miss. St. due to the sanctions. They couldn't even participate in the NCAA tourney or SEC Tourney. The next year was the Unforgettables, which, like Pitino's first 3 years, overachieved all expectations by playing lowly-regarded seniors who stuck it out during the dark times, but I attribute that to a pretty remarkable staff during those years: Billy D, Tubby Smith, Herb Sendek, Ralph Willard, etc.

I say all that to say this: Kentucky took their medicine, but they hired the right coach at the right time, who was able to get more out of their teams than I've seen in 40+ years of watching college basketball.

Kentucky basketball in the late 80's is the best example I can think of why there really is no deterrence to cheating. Within 7 years of getting hit with what seemed like severe sanctions at the time, everyone involved had not only fully recovered but was thriving. Kentucky had made the Final Four twice and won the '96 National Championship. Eddie Sutton had made the Final Four at Oklahoma State in '95, James Dickey was hired at Texas Tech and was SWC Coach of the Year twice ('92 and '96) and even now Dwane Casey is the head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Chris Mills transferred to Arizona and LeRon Ellis transferred to Syracuse. Shawn Kemp just went to the NBA and was a first round draft pick for Seattle. Sean Sutton joined his dad at Oklahoma State. The players who stayed at Kentucky even came out on top with their run in the '92 NCAA tournament. Only Eric Manuel suffered any long term consequences to his career at all.

I don't blame Kentucky or anyone else for cheating. Why not cheat?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Cal hasn’t had any issues at UMass or Memphis. And he isn’t competing for players at schools that have been exposed for cheating. Why would you conclude he would cheat at UK? Ridiculous.

Signed,
UK Fans in Denial

I'll refer you to the million threads about how Cal was not named or implicated in either the Marcus Camby or Derrick Rose cases. But then, I guess that facts are optional with you.

So you cheated like crazy before you hired Pitino?:question:

If you don't know the answer to that one...

viewsi052989.jpeg

Fans of a school whose coach had 2 Final Fours vacated at 2 different schools laughing at a school having to vacate wins and championships. LOL Karma will not be kind to you gullible rubes.

Fans of a school whose coach had 2 Final Fours vacated at 2 different schools laughing at a school having to vacate wins and championships. LOL Karma will not be kind to you gullible rubes.

Got it backwards buddy. At least for me, I never heard the end of it from UL fans with Calipari and some of UK's past transgressions. All this high and mighty talk when UL finally got to the FF and then won one. Talk about getting brought back down to earth for the dirty birds.

Got it backwards buddy. At least for me, I never heard the end of it from UL fans with Calipari and some of UK's past transgressions. All this high and mighty talk when UL finally got to the FF and then won one. Talk about getting brought back down to earth for the dirty birds.
With as much cultural corruption as UK has been guilty of in the past, the fact that the school you're making fun of, with a now fired and shamed coach that used to be yours, with as shady of a past as Calipari has had, with the FBI seizing information from the Nike EYBL AAU offices where UK has enormous attachments, I think I'd just bite my tongue if I was you guys and pray the NCAA has nothing. Because I really don't think that's the case. "Those who laugh last, laugh loudest."

Stahp. Really.

If Bama had to vacate a few rings and years of wins, you guys would be all over it.

With as much cultural corruption as UK has been guilty of in the past, the fact that the school you're making fun of, with a now fired and shamed coach that used to be yours, with as shady of a past as Calipari has had, with the FBI seizing information from the Nike EYBL AAU offices where UK has enormous attachments, I think I'd just bite my tongue if I was you guys and pray the NCAA has nothing. Because I really don't think that's the case. "Those who laugh last, laugh loudest."

VN Store

Back