Lost in all of the commotion

I don't understand all the whining & bellyaching about the petition. Martin said it woke them up! Not sure why it took something like that to get their attention but that says quite a bit about his motavational skills.

Reactions: 1 person
It certainly wouldn't have hurt recruiting if Jarnell Stokes went back to Memphis and told some people how awesome his experience playing at U.T., instead of telling people the fans turned on the team when the going got tough. I just find the people patting themselves on the back for alienating the coach and players a little short sighted.
Well as far as Memphis is concerned I'm not that interested in doing too much recruiting in there anyways..,, usually a risky thing.,, but yeah it's nice if the players talk positively but it's certainly not a death nail...

Wow.....it looks even worse when you put in writing(typing).....I would not want to hire any of those coaches.

I'm willing to bet U.T. doesn't hire anyone with a resume as good as Webber, Painter, Lavin, or heck even Stallings.

Howland is the only possible coach on the radar that could bring any sort of actual success with him, but he also brings a trunk full of dirty laundry and doesn't have many friends at the NCAA.

Also, saying you wouldn't hire Webber or Painter is delusional.

During the season I saw several players make faces of disgust on and off the court when CCM made bad decisions. One of which was Mcrae. Winning cures everything.

I don't understand all the whining & bellyaching about the petition. Martin said it woke them up! Not sure why it took something like that to get their attention but that says quite a bit about his motavational skills.

Those same posters argued that it didn't the whole time. Common sense is lost on just too many people.

I'm willing to bet U.T. doesn't hire anyone with a resume as good as Webber, Painter, Lavin, or heck even Stallings.

Howland is the only possible coach on the radar that could bring any sort of actual success with him, but he also brings a trunk full of dirty laundry and doesn't have many friends at the NCAA.

Stallings? He's flamed out in the first round more than anyone I've seen for the talent he's had. Vandy is proving they don't care about basketball by keeping him around. Just because you'd take Painter doesn't mean we would. The man doesn't impress me one bit. He had 4 NBA guys on one roster and couldn't make it any further than Cuonzo did?

Last edited:
Lost in all the commotion...
My sanity
My hair
My appetite
My mind
My listening to 99.1
My respect for many posters

Stallings? He's flamed out in the first round more than anyone I've seen for the talent he's had. Vandy is proving they don't care about basketball by keeping him around. Just because you'd take Painter doesn't mean we would. The man doesn't impress me one bit. He had 4 NBA guys on one roster and couldn't make it any further than Cuonzo did?

4 NBA guys on one roster? Name them.

The team you're talking about started

Lewis Jackson (not NBA) PG
Chris Kramer (not NBA)
Keaton Grant (Not NBA)
Etwaun Moore (NBA 2nd round pick)
JaJuan Johnson (Former NBA)

Their best player, Robbie Humell, didn't play in the tournament because of a torn ACL.

If you wouldn't take a young guy that has won the Big 10 coach of the year 3 times in the last 7 years, you've got problems.

I would absolutely not hire Webber or Painter......

O.K. who would you hire then?

Not for sure havent looked at all the viable candidates but I feel Webber and Painter have proven them to be average to slightly above average coaches....Definitely not going to take a program to the next level.

Not for sure havent looked at all the viable candidates but I feel Webber and Painter have proven them to be average to slightly above average coaches....Definitely not going to take a program to the next level.

Interesting, Webber had a team lose in the championship game and Painter, while falling off the last 2 years, took his team to 6 straight NCAA tournaments, won the Big 10 regular season, and won the Big 10 tournament. I'm not sure that is slightly above average. Also being named the best coach in the Big 10 3 times has to have some value.

The only viable candidate with a better resume is Howland, and A.D.'s have been avoiding him like the plague.

Interesting, Webber had a team lose in the championship game and Painter, while falling off the last 2 years, took his team to 6 straight NCAA tournaments, won the Big 10 regular season, and won the Big 10 tournament. I'm not sure that is slightly above average. Also being named the best coach in the Big 10 3 times has to have some value.

The only viable candidate with a better resume is Howland, and A.D.'s have been avoiding him like the plague.

You are probably right....I dont give either enough credit but I have never been a big fan of either coach. Weber took over a great situation from self and ran Illinois down and he followed Martin and I feel he will do the same. Never been a big fan of Painter or his team's style.

I dont need a better resume just that they hire the right man for the job.

4 NBA guys on one roster? Name them.

The team you're talking about started

Lewis Jackson (not NBA) PG
Chris Kramer (not NBA)
Keaton Grant (Not NBA)
Etwaun Moore (NBA 2nd round pick)
JaJuan Johnson (Former NBA)

Their best player, Robbie Humell, didn't play in the tournament because of a torn ACL.

If you wouldn't take a young guy that has won the Big 10 coach of the year 3 times in the last 7 years, you've got problems.

Sorry 3. Johnson, Hummel and Moore. Didn't remember Hummell being out, because i don't really give two $hits about Purdue bball. Regardless, you're using their current status as no longer in the league as justification for their shortcomings? They were still NBA draft picks, what they did after that is irrelevant.

Since those guys have left he's been a .500 coach. Sorry, I'm not on board with your Purdue family. Now since a family member has moved on, it's time for you to as well.

Somebody has a real hard on for Purdue and their coaching tree. Not everybody thinks as highly of those clowns as you do. I bet you already have an account on Cals message board, spreading the word how lucky they are to have Martin as their coach and the history of Purdues basketball. Like somebody gives a d@mn.

Somebody has a real hard on for Purdue and their coaching tree. Not everybody thinks as highly of those clowns as you do. I bet you already have an account on Cals message board, spreading the word how lucky they are to have Martin as their coach and the history of Purdues basketball. Like somebody gives a d@mn.

Do you think U.T. is going to hire someone with a better resume than Painter, Webber, or Lavin?

The only reason I'm even talking about the Gene Keady coaching tree, is that is generally considered one of the better ones in college basketball.

Also, I wasn't the one to bring up Purdue basketball.

Is the fact that graduating U.T. players, and even one of the current U.T. players, sided with the coach and seemed to resent either the fans or the administration.

Former players, especially NBA players, are excellent recruiting assets. The players basically saying "loved the coach, didn't like / or at least felt disrespected by the fans" isn't much of glowing endorsement.

While it is debatable wether the "petition" bothered Martin, it is fairly indisputable that it alienated the players.

This has been discussed he in great detail! The fans are entitled to their opinion and so are the players.

Sorry 3. Johnson, Hummel and Moore. Didn't remember Hummell being out, because i don't really give two $hits about Purdue bball. Regardless, you're using their current status as no longer in the league as justification for their shortcomings? They were still NBA draft picks, what they did after that is irrelevant.

Since those guys have left he's been a .500 coach. Sorry, I'm not on board with your Purdue family. Now since a family member has moved on, it's time for you to as well.

No, it was a good team, and Moore and Johnson were excellent but when they lost their best player for 2 consecutive seasons, it really hurt. Also, Moore and Hummel are both still in the NBA. If Painter hit the market, he would be a sought after commodity.

If women's basketball is #2 at UT, then why do they consistently sell fewer tickets than men's basketball? If baseball and softball are competing with men's basketball, then why is their attendance a mere fraction of men's basketball's? The softball team would not fill a stadium the size of TBA.
I enjoy all of those sports. I'm just tired of reading the ridiculous notion that men's basketball is anything less than a solid #2 at UT. If you place women's basketball above men's basketball because of their success, then you have to place them above football as well.

Disclaimer: it's only my opinion, and not based on ticket sales. Having said that, I think that UT is known for (1) UT Football, (2) a great women's basketball program, and then (3, 4, 5...take your pick) Men's BB, baseball (they had a few good years), and softball (same here).

I'm not very far north of you, and around here when the subject of UT sports comes up, the Lady Vols are well-known and well-respected...something you don't hear about the other 3 I mentioned. So, #2 in terms of recognition.

Again, just my opinion. And I'll stand by my point that UT is going to have a very hard time luring a big name for its' next MBB coach.

Then again, I was wrong about Dooley, so.....

Go Vols.

VN Store

Back