Lost in all of the commotion

Is the fact that graduating U.T. players, and even one of the current U.T. players, sided with the coach and seemed to resent either the fans or the administration.

Former players, especially NBA players, are excellent recruiting assets. The players basically saying "loved the coach, didn't like / or at least felt disrespected by the fans" isn't much of glowing endorsement.

While it is debatable wether the "petition" bothered Martin, it is fairly indisputable that it alienated the players.

I think the graduating players' tweets hurt the most.

Honestly, do you really think the petition changed the way Martin coached? Petition or no petition, he knew he needed to make the NCAA tournament this season. I don't think the petition put any more pressure on him that didn't all ready exist, but it did make the players feel like the fan base turned on them.

It's not good when the players turn on the program, at least in my opinion.

No. The players meeting and Jeronne telling Jordy to pass the dam ball to Stokes and quit jacking up terrible shots is what turned the season around.

As far as this season goes, Jeronne is a better coach than Cuonzo.

The funny thing is that, this thing probably plays out the exact same way without the petition, minus the national media lining up to take a dump on U.T. In fact, minus the petition, Martin probably comes out looking like the bad guy in this situation.

Without that petition, UT finishes the season on the bubble and Martin is looking for an assistant coach job.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting, you should ask Bruce what happened when he played Matt Painter's Purdue team.

Also, feel free to show me a U.T. coaching tree.

Pretty sweet retort. Your butthurt comes across brilliantly. Maybe you'll get Cuonzo to resurrect the Purdue program after Painter finishes burying it.

The funny thing is that, this thing probably plays out the exact same way without the petition, minus the national media lining up to take a dump on U.T. In fact, minus the petition, Martin probably comes out looking like the bad guy in this situation.

Soooooo much wishful thinking there

Reactions: 1 person
Is the fact that graduating U.T. players, and even one of the current U.T. players, sided with the coach and seemed to resent either the fans or the administration.

Former players, especially NBA players, are excellent recruiting assets. The players basically saying "loved the coach, didn't like / or at least felt disrespected by the fans" isn't much of glowing endorsement.

While it is debatable wether the "petition" bothered Martin, it is fairly indisputable that it alienated the players.

A good coach will gain the support of his team.

A great coach will gain the support of the fan base and his team.

A HOF coach will gain the support of his team, the fans, and win ball games.

Coach Martin was a good coach at UT.

Cal fans better get them a petition ready. That is the only way they will get a Martin team to play ball. They need to remember Zo has very sensitive feelings.

Reactions: 2 people
Please oh please OP, leave Volnation and head west where you can suck on Cuonzo's bobo as much as you like and not be polluting our site. And there are several others you can take with you out to wacky weed land. Bye.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt recruiting if Jarnell Stokes went back to Memphis and told some people how awesome his experience playing at U.T., instead of telling people the fans turned on the team when the going got tough. I just find the people patting themselves on the back for alienating the coach and players a little short sighted.

Short sighted!?? No .. it's the blind leading the blind. They are incapable of seeing what they've done and are constantly making up and revising their poor excuses of 'manly demands for better coaching'.
Buncha juveniles in mens bodies.

Please oh please OP, leave Volnation and head west where you can suck on Cuonzo's bobo as much as you like and not be polluting our site. And there are several others you can take with you out to wacky weed land. Bye.

I think I'll stick around for the fun. I give you credit, no message board I've found does crazy and delusional quite like Volnation.

Didn't care for the petition, and lost all respect for Martin when he left the way he did.

Then again, I don't have a seat, or a vote, at the "Big Money Table", so I have no idea what took place behind the scenes, which is where all key decisions are made.

That being said, it comes down to "what type of school are you?" Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, UT, USCe...all "football schools". UK, UNC, Duke, basketball. UF, both. Vandy, water polo (just had to do that).

At UT, football is king. After that, probably the Lady Vols (thanks, Pat), then basketball, then baseball. Honorable mention to softball. Those are the big 3, 4, or 5...roughly in that order. But #1 is a lock. UT is, first and foremost, a football school.

You'll note that UConn football doesn't scare anybody. They're a basketball school. And a really good one. Lately, same goes for Notre Dame. Well, the women's side.

With men's basketball competing with baseball...and possibly softball...for the coveted "#3 spot", I don't expect the second coming of Calipari, Pitino, or Donovan to end up in Knoxville. Put yourself in the shoes of the next big name in CBB. Why Knoxville?

There's your answer. Our best bet, and best hope...like it or not...is another mid-major coach (or assistant) who believes they can make UT the next UF. Honestly, our best bet might be an underrated NBA assistant who is tired of the south end of the bench, and coddling overpaid and under-talented millionaires, and just wants to get back to (in theory) the game of basketball as it was meant to be played. At this point, what does UT have to lose by taking a gamble?

IMO, Butch Jones was a diamond in the rough. That's exactly what UT needs for its' next men's basketball coach. Let the legend begin here...

Go Vols.

Pretty sweet retort. Your butthurt comes across brilliantly. Maybe you'll get Cuonzo to resurrect the Purdue program after Painter finishes burying it.

So, uhm, I'm still waiting for that U.T. coaching tree. Also Keady's tree looks just fine.

Matt Painter:

3 time Big 10 coach of the year, 7 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 10 years).

Bruce Weber:

Big 10 Coach of the year, National coach of the year, NCAA runner up, 10 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 16 years), 2 time Big 10 regular season champion, 1 time Big 12 regular season champion.

Steve Lavin:

Pac 10 regular season champion, 7 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 11 years).

Kevin Stallings:

2 time SEC coach of the year, 8 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 21 seasons).

Counzo Martin:

You guys know his credentials.

Paul Lusk:

Current coach at Missouri St., 3 seasons into his career, 0 NCAA appearances, but a 20-12 record last season, after 2 disappointing seasons.

Alan Major:

Current coach at Charlotte, 4 years in, no NCAA appearances.

Keady currently has 6 former players or assistants coaching Division 1 basketball teams. This doesn't even count the numerous assistant division 1 assistant coaches that were former Keady players / coaches. Also, the best part about this coaching tree is that not one of the previous listed coaches has had issues with the NCAA.

I think the current players will get on board, but the players that just left certainly left with a bitter taste in their mouth. The players seem to have interpreted it as the fans turning on them.

The players misinterpreted then. The fans were turning on Martin for not winning with the talent he had on hand. People wanted to see Martin a little upset after a loss, they wanted him to at least get in an official's face when his team was getting ripped off, the fans wanted to see just a little passion from the guy.

Didn't care for the petition, and lost all respect for Martin when he left the way he did.

Then again, I don't have a seat, or a vote, at the "Big Money Table", so I have no idea what took place behind the scenes, which is where all key decisions are made.

That being said, it comes down to "what type of school are you?" Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, UT, USCe...all "football schools". UK, UNC, Duke, basketball. UF, both. Vandy, water polo (just had to do that).

At UT, football is king. After that, probably the Lady Vols (thanks, Pat), then basketball, then baseball. Honorable mention to softball. Those are the big 3, 4, or 5...roughly in that order. But #1 is a lock. UT is, first and foremost, a football school.

You'll note that UConn football doesn't scare anybody. They're a basketball school. And a really good one. Lately, same goes for Notre Dame. Well, the women's side.

With men's basketball competing with baseball...and possibly softball...for the coveted "#3 spot", I don't expect the second coming of Calipari, Pitino, or Donovan to end up in Knoxville. Put yourself in the shoes of the next big name in CBB. Why Knoxville?

There's your answer. Our best bet, and best hope...like it or not...is another mid-major coach (or assistant) who believes they can make UT the next UF. Honestly, our best bet might be an underrated NBA assistant who is tired of the south end of the bench, and coddling overpaid and under-talented millionaires, and just wants to get back to (in theory) the game of basketball as it was meant to be played. At this point, what does UT have to lose by taking a gamble?

IMO, Butch Jones was a diamond in the rough. That's exactly what UT needs for its' next men's basketball coach. Let the legend begin here...

Go Vols.

If women's basketball is #2 at UT, then why do they consistently sell fewer tickets than men's basketball? If baseball and softball are competing with men's basketball, then why is their attendance a mere fraction of men's basketball's? The softball team would not fill a stadium the size of TBA.
I enjoy all of those sports. I'm just tired of reading the ridiculous notion that men's basketball is anything less than a solid #2 at UT. If you place women's basketball above men's basketball because of their success, then you have to place them above football as well.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt recruiting if Jarnell Stokes went back to Memphis and told some people how awesome his experience playing at U.T., instead of telling people the fans turned on the team when the going got tough. I just find the people patting themselves on the back for alienating the coach and players a little short sighted.

How did the fans turn on the team? The fans showed up game after game. Embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss. More fans showed up than a number one ranked Florida team. This blanket statement that the fans turned on them is not only wrong it's ridiculous. Tennessee averaged about 16K throughout Martins tenure of which all three years were "tough" excluding the last 10 games.

I think the current players will get on board, but the players that just left certainly left with a bitter taste in their mouth. The players seem to have interpreted it as the fans turning on them.

Who cares, we all know why he was popular with the players and it wasn't because of his coaching ability.

They said exactly what any players would say. If they were so upset, they should have played better for him.

So, uhm, I'm still waiting for that U.T. coaching tree. Also Keady's tree looks just fine.

Matt Painter:

3 time Big 10 coach of the year, 7 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 10 years).

Bruce Weber:

Big 10 Coach of the year, National coach of the year, NCAA runner up, 10 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 16 years), 2 time Big 10 regular season champion, 1 time Big 12 regular season champion.

Steve Lavin:

Pac 10 regular season champion, 7 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 11 years).

Kevin Stallings:

2 time SEC coach of the year, 8 time NCAA tournament coach (out of 21 seasons).

Counzo Martin:

You guys know his credentials.

Paul Lusk:

Current coach at Missouri St., 3 seasons into his career, 0 NCAA appearances, but a 20-12 record last season, after 2 disappointing seasons.

Alan Major:

Current coach at Charlotte, 4 years in, no NCAA appearances.

Keady currently has 6 former players or assistants coaching Division 1 basketball teams. This doesn't even count the numerous assistant division 1 assistant coaches that were former Keady players / coaches. Also, the best part about this coaching tree is that not one of the previous listed coaches has had issues with the NCAA.

Wow.....it looks even worse when you put in writing(typing).....I would not want to hire any of those coaches.

Can we ban the use of the p word. I say &%#& off too all those still talking about that %%*$ thing. Get off it already. Its over, its done with. Let's focus on supporting the team we have, the coach we will have, and move the &##$ on. The p thing was nothing more than a fart in the wind that was created, and given too much media coverage on a national basis by clay travis.

VN Store

Back