Looking Ahead...

Where's all this Graves play is trash coming from. She carried us in the Notre Dame, USC, and the first and second round of the tournament, then had two bad games now she's not good again.

I think Graves is great. Her coaching is what deserves bashing....

Didn't Graves take a few outside jumpers in the Notre Dame game? She should have done that against Maryland. I know she made one; were there more? No one is criticizing her: She likes to play in the low block--and is successful doing that against inferior competition, for the most part, but then we played better teams in the tournament (zaga and maryland) with bigger inside players, she could not score. That was a problem for us--and that is why she needs more of a game away from the basket, as most forwards do. She was playing out of position--a forward playing center--but even when we had Izzy she was playing in the paint mostly. All of our players need a mid-range game!

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't Graves take a few outside jumpers in the Notre Dame game? She should have done that against Maryland. I know she made one; were there more? No one is criticizing her: She likes to play in the low block--and is successful doing that against inferior competition, for the most part, but then we played better teams in the tournament (zaga and maryland) with bigger inside players, she could not score. That was a problem for us--and that is why she needs more of a game away from the basket, as most forwards do. She was playing out of position--a forward playing center--but even when we had Izzy she was playing in the paint mostly. All of our players need a mid-range game!

Thank You ! that`s my point she is playing out of position and the coaching staff has failed to work with her on a mid-range game!. Look at Baylor next year they will be very big up front 6-5 6-5 6-4.

I could live with that...considering we don't know much about Tucker...I like starting Nared in the SG position ONLY if she looks to score the ball more. I doubt Holly starts Nared over Carter there though.

I loveeeeee the way Reynolds pushes the ball so at the PG spot....it makes everybody run and next year she'll have some quickness on the court with her. My only concern is her scoring. She easily maneuvers past guards sometimes only to miss a simple 8ft jump shot. And don't even get me started on the missed lay ups! If she works on her offense over the summer Jordan can be beastly at the PG position with her size and ball handling skills.

Like Doris Burke said last night DeShields will lead the SEC in scoring next year. She's just that good...her presence on the court will allow for a more fluid offense AS LONG AS we have guards who can make shots once the opportunity pre-seasontself. Contrary to popular belief Diamond does know how to get her teammates involved and I'm more than positive she realizes she can't win a championship all on her own.

Jones will be a force next season IMO. She had made strides this season and I believe a lot of people forgot how good she had started the year out. She wasn't as turnover prone and clearly had worked on her strength and offense last summer. I'm glad she got this year back cause pre-season Holly was singing high praises for the strides Jones had made during the off season. I like her at the post more because she's such a tremendous athlete with the ability to jump over most post players with her explosiveness. She also has a beautiful jump shot and can slash to the goal effectively.

And Ms Russell....our prized #1 recruit....I think she'll finally have a chance to show why most services rated her above Diamond. Most post players take time to develop. She'll basically be a junior next year. She's had a whole year off and has been able to play behind Izzy for two years. I have high high expectations for Ms Russell! Shes long and agile and can run the floor pretty effectively.... Mix that with a speedy Deshields, Jones, Nared, and Reynolds and we're going to hit the ground running to a National Championship!

But if course we'll see Carter and Graves in the starting line up! :-/

Nice post. Get out my head. lol

Yep, if Carter and Graves are in the starting lineup, they better be playing better ball than everyone else. Otherwise, Ill have a bone to pick with Holly, man glad she's the coach, and Kyra will be the next. Diamond will make everyone better, she's that good.

Holly will prolly place Tea behind, Carter. Right now Jones, is a better player than Graves.. I personally, I feel like Nared is better player too. I Hope Graves can put it all together like Burdick her senior year.

We shall see.

Yep, if Carter and Graves are in the starting lineup, they better be playing better ball than everyone else. Otherwise, Ill have a bone to pick with Holly, man glad she's the coach, and Kyra will be the next. Diamond will make everyone better, she's that good.

Holly will prolly place Tea behind, Carter. Right now Jones, is a better player than Graves.. I personally, I feel like Nared is better player too. I Hope Graves can put it all together like Burdick her senior year.

We shall see.

Say no more and well said about Graves but to some on the board we are picking on Graves ? I say no it`s just the truth and the truth hurt some time.

Graves biggest problem was she had to play the 5, she is not a 5, but a very good 4 player. With her playing the 4 while Mercedes Russell plays the 5, the team will be much better. Love the Lady Vol's

Graves biggest problem was she had to play the 5, she is not a 5, but a very good 4 player. With her playing the 4 while Mercedes Russell plays the 5, the team will be much better. Love the Lady Vol's

Would Graves potentially be a good three? A slashing type scorer who could out rebound a smaller three.

Jones will not start next year, IMO. Yes, she's athletic and a good defender--but she doesn't make good decisions with the basketball. The Vols already make a lot of poor decisions. She's had turnover problems her entire career. She's not a great ball handler, and she's not a good passer. She also didn't play this year. Nared has a better skill set and understanding of the game, IMO, and if she improves over the summer she has a good chance of starting.

I think Warlick will start the year playing different combinations of eight or nine players--Graves, Carter, Reynolds, Deshields, Nared, Russell, Jones, Middleton and Cooper--and see what combinations work, who plays well, and make playing-time decisions based on performance and opponent. I think Middleton, Cooper and Jones will be coming off the bench to start the year. If they impress, they will play more. The coaches will need to find some reliable scoring from people other than DeShields.

This is a much more objective assessment of Jones. Some seem to have forgotten or overlooked her deficiencies. Nared has showed much more potential.

This is a much more objective assessment of Jones. Some seem to have forgotten or overlooked her deficiencies. Nared has showed much more potential.

Did you or armchair not see Jones at the beginning of this season?....if y'all are going off last year, I could understand that assessment but that's way off base IMO.

We shall see.

And I'll be right along with you picking that bone with Holly! Lol Holly has to give others a chance to step up when Carter or Graves aren't being efficient in the floor. Next year she has options thank goodness!

I'm like you, I hope Graves has a good senior campaign! She's a real warrior, just has to develop some type of offensive game away from the basket in order to make that next jump in her development.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. When she played the 5 her freshman year she was great. When Harrison came back she went to the 4 and she has been a so so 4. Then when Harrison went down back to the 5 and she has played better. I think she understands the 5 better than the 4 and she can also use her quickness better at the 5.

Graves is one of the best passing 4's in the game. I really am excited to see her paired with Russell. I thought she fed the post to izzy pretty well earlier in the season and did the same with Moore when Moore was in.

Graves is one of the best passing 4's in the game. I really am excited to see her paired with Russell. I thought she fed the post to izzy pretty well earlier in the season and did the same with Moore when Moore was in.

That's one thing I love see about Graves....she does have some good post to post passing skills! I remember earlier in the year Graves would execute that dump pass to Carter right under the basketball so effectively.

It would be nice to see them bring in a low-post ex NBA player to work with Graves on her footwork and speed

Looking ahead to next season our starting lineup from their class rankings will be Russell 1, DeShields 3, Graves 5, Carter 21, and Reynolds 42. Coming off the bench Cooper 19, Jones 28, Nared 7, Tucker 8?, Middleton 29. So all our players will be top fifty players.

I think anything less than final four would be underachieving with this group. The only two other WCCB teams that can match this talent would be UConn and Notre Dame. SC still has a lot of talent but they lose some key players off this year's team.

Reactions: 2 people
I know last year Mercedes and Diamond turned downed USA basketball. Now that they're healthy this year I figure they will spend their summer with try-outs and practices for USA basketball. Along with Bash and Cooper, possibly Jaime can get an invitation.

I know last year Mercedes and Diamond turned downed USA basketball. Now that they're healthy this year I figure they will spend their summer with try-outs and practices for USA basketball. Along with Bash and Cooper, possibly Jaime can get an invitation.

I'd love we for them to get that experience of International basketball but you'd have to wonder will they do it this summer considering they're going on that summer tour in Italy in August.

VN Store

Back