Looking Ahead...

1. Everything will go through Diamond.

2. Jones will be the most athletic player on the floor. Girl can jump. I think with Diamond, this will settle Jones down on the floor because Jasmine will not have any of the pressure to produce offensively. Jones will be most productive on the elbow/high block, give Diamond the ball to create, Jones is the perfect 10 footer. Also Jones on the low block versus a smaller defender, Jones just needs to turn around and jump as high as she can and put it in. (as far as low block post moves, Jones is better at this than Graves because Jones can jump higher)

3. If Nared comes off the bench, I think we will see instant production. I really really think this girl could be special for us with Diamond. I think we saw a glimpse of her mentality when we played at South Carolina, she just came in and immediately attacked. Maybe a little out of control, but as a freshman you love to see a lamb attack a lion.

I think the pressure for the off season for the coaching staff is to develop Moore. As a senior and her height, we will need a back up for Russell. Graves is a 4 NOT A 5. Moore needs to work this summer. We can't put everything on Russell for 40 minutes, especially versus South Carolina.

If we pick up Evelyn Akhator, still not sure if we are on her radar, that would solidify a final four chance even more. She is a what-if and not on our roster so won't go farther than that.

For my starting lineup. I'm going to choose SPEED and Major Up-Tempo. Full court press. Intense in your face line-up

Cooper
Carter
Deshields
Jones
Graves
Off the bench, I think Jackson and Reynolds could be put in as well.

Going big and half court offense
Reynolds
Deshields
Jones
Graves
Russell

Verdict is out on Tucker. The hype is big, but no production. I hope this girl gets the opportunity to live up to her hype next year :)

Graves shouldn't be playing at center. Russell needs to be there from day 1. I can see situational rotations where Graves is moved to center, but Russell needs to establish that presence early and often.

If T'ea can score consistently, she should start at PG. If Nared comes in improved with her shot and court awareness, I'd start her over Carter (slide Diamond over to SG, start Nared at the wing).

Jones will not start next year, IMO. Yes, she's athletic and a good defender--but she doesn't make good decisions with the basketball. The Vols already make a lot of poor decisions. She's had turnover problems her entire career. She's not a great ball handler, and she's not a good passer. She also didn't play this year. Nared has a better skill set and understanding of the game, IMO, and if she improves over the summer she has a good chance of starting.

I think Warlick will start the year playing different combinations of eight or nine players--Graves, Carter, Reynolds, Deshields, Nared, Russell, Jones, Middleton and Cooper--and see what combinations work, who plays well, and make playing-time decisions based on performance and opponent. I think Middleton, Cooper and Jones will be coming off the bench to start the year. If they impress, they will play more. The coaches will need to find some reliable scoring from people other than DeShields.

Agree that Russell will start from Day 1, assuming she is healthy. She needs to develop as she will be crucial come tourney time. I don't know how many minutes she'll play--but I can't imagine her not being on the floor to start games.

I don't blame Bash not one bit. Since she's been playing an undersized post role she likes to catch the ball on the perimeter, shot fake, and drive. But she can't do that, because the other players don't cut when they hand her the ball. I watched countless number of times last night when she would get the ball at the high post and the guard would just there and watch her instead of moving. So instead of one one situations; she had to worry about the guards defender leaking inside to. That happened throughout the season.

But Graves has been there now 3 years and still has no mid range shot. The bottom line is this for Tenn to compete with UConn,ND and the rest of the top 5. Holly needs to stop recruiting undersized post players that`s all.

See that`s the problem with Holly there is no way Graves should be guaranteed starting spot. She will not start on UConn,ND,Baylor, MD,Dayton,SC, And i can go on.

Amazing how the SEC freshman of the year can go to possible non-starter by her senior season. But our staff sure can develop talent....

Reactions: 1 person
I expect we will see something like this to start the season.

PG-Reynolds,Cooper
SG-Carter, Middleton, Tucker?, Jackson
WF-Deshields, Nared
C-Russell, Moore
PF-Graves, Jones, Dunbar

Still a little weak in the post if we have any injuries.

But Graves has been there now 3 years and still has no mid range shot. The bottom line is this for Tenn to compete with UConn,ND and the rest of the top 5. Holly needs to stop recruiting undersized post players that`s all.

It's not that she's an undersized post player; what hurts her is the fact that she can't jump.

Morgan Tuck is the same height, but she's tougher to trap under the basket because she has more hops and more post moves she can utilize because of her agility. Same with the shorter Nina Davis.

Graves plays like she's shorter than 6'2 because she can't get 3" off the ground.

Good analysis. I loved reading it. Many unknown factors. I think better conditioning and a good strength coach might help. We do not believe in ourselves anymore. Would a sports psychologist help? Do not know.

If we do not pull it together it will continue to hurt the fan base.

Of course there may be players who are better than ours, but that does not mean that our players should not work harder than anyone else!

We will live to fight another day!!

Graves is just a very limited offensive player. She does not have the moves or the instincts to be a scorer--and our coaches have not developed her offensive game much, just as they have not developed Carter's offensive game much, or Reynolds'. But then Warlick doesn't care about offense that much--and so we score an embarrassing 48 points, look like crap on offense again, for about the 1,000 time--and lose again. I'm not a fan of Warlick.

Graves could be a better scorer--but she is too slow making decisions with the basketball. She always hesitates. You can't hesitate--inside or out--and be a scorer. She DOES play small, perhaps because she's not a great leaper but also because she has TERRIBLE technique in the paint. She is always hunching over with the basketball instead of standing straight up. She always holds the ball too low and too long--and then it is too late. Defenders are on you. A 6'2" player with Graves' size and athleticism could score against taller players, but you've got to make explosive moves and get the ball up to the basket quickly. I love her effort, but she can't do that.

Warlick has also bludgeoned our players into thinking that our post has to score from the low block every possession. More 1980s thinking. So we have players that consistently pass up open 10-12 shots, thinking that maybe they can get the ball to somebody five feet from the basket. Everybody on our teams does this. If you are open from 10-12 feet, THAT is a very good shot: Shoot the freakin' ball, and shoot it with confidence. That should be drilled into every player from day one of her freshman year. But it apparently isn't. You can see our players hesitating, thinking, being tentative: should i shoot it? Should i get it inside? Why do we play like that offensively after 35 games? Coaching.

When one player is hesitant and passes up a good shot, you've fouled up not just that specific possession--because you are likely to end up taking a worse shot than the one you passed up--and then everybody starts playing tentative. Everybody on our team needs to develop a mid-range game. With Burdick gone, we've got NOBODY who can pull up from 15 feet and nail a jumper. NO-BOD-Y. Until we find coaches who can develop a confident offensive team, we'll remain second-tier.

Morgan Tuck is the same height, but she's tougher to trap under the basket because she has more hops and more post moves she can utilize because of her agility.

Agility? I think she has had two or three knee surgeries and in the games I have seen, she is strapped into a giant cumbersome knee brace.

Agility? I think she has had two or three knee surgeries and in the games I have seen, she is strapped into a giant cumbersome knee brace.

I haven't seen a lot of their games, but I see someone with a quick first step, strong post pivot moves, and the ability to maneuver up and around taller players. The games I did see were against the better teams (Duke, SC, ND and Dayton), and she was unstoppable.

Graves is just a very limited offensive player. She does not have the moves or the instincts to be a scorer--and our coaches have not developed her offensive game much, just as they have not developed Carter's offensive game much, or Reynolds'. But then Warlick doesn't care about offense that much--and so we score an embarrassing 48 points, look like crap on offense again, for about the 1,000 time--and lose again. I'm not a fan of Warlick.

Graves could be a better scorer--but she is too slow making decisions with the basketball. She always hesitates. You can't hesitate--inside or out--and be a scorer. She DOES play small, perhaps because she's not a great leaper but also because she has TERRIBLE technique in the paint. She is always hunching over with the basketball instead of standing straight up. She always holds the ball too low and too long--and then it is too late. Defenders are on you. A 6'2" player with Graves' size and athleticism could score against taller players, but you've got to make explosive moves and get the ball up to the basket quickly. I love her effort, but she can't do that.

Warlick has also bludgeoned our players into thinking that our post has to score from the low block every possession. More 1980s thinking. So we have players that consistently pass up open 10-12 shots, thinking that maybe they can get the ball to somebody five feet from the basket. Everybody on our teams does this. If you are open from 10-12 feet, THAT is a very good shot: Shoot the freakin' ball, and shoot it with confidence. That should be drilled into every player from day one of her freshman year. But it apparently isn't. You can see our players hesitating, thinking, being tentative: should i shoot it? Should i get it inside? Why do we play like that offensively after 35 games? Coaching.

When one player is hesitant and passes up a good shot, you've fouled up not just that specific possession--because you are likely to end up taking a worse shot than the one you passed up--and then everybody starts playing tentative. Everybody on our team needs to develop a mid-range game. With Burdick gone, we've got NOBODY who can pull up from 15 feet and nail a jumper. NO-BOD-Y. Until we find coaches who can develop a confident offensive team, we'll remain second-tier.

Graves was the most effective low post scorer on the team as a freshman. After a couple of years playing for Holly (and the great Dean Lockwood) she forgot how to play offense.

A big problem with Carter and Reynolds is Holly is completely mismanaging their strengths by putting Reynolds at the point and Carter at the 2. I hope she's smart enough to switch them next season.....

Graves played with Simmons who knew how to score and allowed her to be a decent scorer too. She also played with Izzy who was a good scorer. When we lost Simmons AND Izzy, it forced other people to have to score in ways they weren't used to. That's problematic and doesn't make them bad players or players who didn't develop.

None of the other top programs to my knowledge have had key injuries like we have: Ariel last year, Mercedes out for the year, Izzy out when it mattered most. Those are not road bumps. Those are huge setbacks that can be the difference between an elite 8 and competing for a championship. Does anyone doubt we win last night with a healthy Izzy let alone a healthy Izzy and Mercedes?

Reactions: 2 people
Graves played with Simmons who knew how to score and allowed her to be a decent scorer too. She also played with Izzy who was a good scorer. When we lost Simmons AND Izzy, it forced other people to have to score in ways they weren't used to. That's problematic and doesn't make them bad players or players who didn't develop

Playing with Izzy and Simmons didn't do much for her game last year, when she didn't even average double figures. Nor did she tear it up this year while Izzy was in the lineup for most of the season.

I know Graves has her limitations, but she could be a much more effective offensive player than what she's shown....

I haven't seen a lot of their games, but I see someone with a quick first step, strong post pivot moves, and the ability to maneuver up and around taller players. The games I did see were against the better teams (Duke, SC, ND and Dayton), and she was unstoppable.

I agree Tuck is unstoppable, just not agile. More of a work horse.

I do not have much faith in this coaching staff. The players change every year, it the nature of the beast. What I don't like is from what I and many others have observed, the staff is not very good. We may recruit top notch players but, until we have top notch coaches to coach these players, the results will be status quo!

It's not that she's an undersized post player; what hurts her is the fact that she can't jump.

Morgan Tuck is the same height, but she's tougher to trap under the basket because she has more hops and more post moves she can utilize because of her agility. Same with the shorter Nina Davis.

Graves plays like she's shorter than 6'2 because she can't get 3" off the ground.

Then Holly needs to do the right thing send her to the bench. And by the way thank you !

armchair ! Say no more you are 100% correct about Graves. And that go`s back to my point that i posted a few days ago, Graves has been there 3 years going 4 and has no mid range game at all. To me that`s an embarrassment to the program and coaching staff .

All the negativity about Graves is flat out wrong. She was outstanding as a Freshman and she was damn good this year, too. She did have a bit of a Sophomore slump but rumor has it she was battling an injury all year long plus it's not uncommon for players to have a Sophomore slump after having a good Freshman debut.

How do you think the game with Maryland would have went down with Graves out? I doubt we would have had a chance to tie or win in regulation like we did when she played.

I'm not worried about Graves at all next year. I am worried about Russell and hoping she can rebound from her injury. If she does, we will be just fine at the post plus Graves will be even better IMO because she got so much experience from having to carry the load when Izzy went down.

Reactions: 2 people
All the negativity about Graves is flat out wrong. She was outstanding as a Freshman and she was damn good this year, too. She did have a bit of a Sophomore slump but rumor has it she was battling an injury all year long plus it's not uncommon for players to have a Sophomore slump after having a good Freshman debut.

How do you think the game with Maryland would have went down with Graves out? I doubt we would have had a chance to tie or win in regulation like we did when she played.

I'm not worried about Graves at all next year. I am worried about Russell and hoping she can rebound from her injury. If she does, we will be just fine at the post plus Graves will be even better IMO because she got so much experience from having to carry the load when Izzy went down.

Why are you trying to make excuses for Graves, You know her skills are limited as one said Morgan Tuck is only 6-2 with a bad knee and to me much better then Graves. If you would like to blame someone start with the head coach.

Where's all this Graves play is trash coming from. She carried us in the Notre Dame, USC, and the first and second round of the tournament games, then had two bad games now she's not good again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Where's all this Graves play is trash coming from. She carried us in the Notre Dame, USC, and the first and second round of the tournament, then had two bad games now she's not good again.

I completely agree with you. She struggled with Gonzaga playing out of position against a frontline that was 6'4 and 6'5, and had a similar disadvantage against Maryland...plus the fact that Jones must've outweighed her by 40 lbs.

She was a warrior as Izzy's replacement in the low post. I am totally on board her train, and I think she will give Tennessee a solid senior year.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back