Looking ahead to next year

https://amp.knoxnews.com/amp/438041002

“The Lady Vols put considerable time and preparation this season toward playing against a zone defense. The subject was prominent last week on the pre-tournament practice agenda. But no amount of passing, player cuts and duck-ins could upgrade the most fundamental response: shooting accuracy.”

Brick by brick by brick!

Massengill starting point guard???
Have Any of you seen her play against college completion? As we all know, playing AAu and high school basketball doesn’t mean jack when you step on a division one court and play top 50 programs. Believe me I’m all excited for her to come to Tennessee but y’all treating her like you treated Cooper. Half way through her freshman year y’all were complaining about all her to’s and wanted her bench. We all have a bad history of putting our eggs in one basket. Let’s just see how thing play out

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It still baffles me when a coach is playing someone out of position and another pg who refuse to shoot a jump shot. And to add to that Westbrook and Davis leading the nation in turnovers. I`m only giving you the facts and

by the way Holly will not be coaching this team.

Based on?

Reactions: 1 person
Well you might be correct about Holly around for one more year same here i hope not. But Holly knows she can`t blame no one but her self.

Wait, I thought you said she wouldn't be the coach next year.

And "Holly knows..." Did you ask her?

Reactions: 2 people
Massengill starting point guard???
Have Any of you seen her play against college completion? As we all know, playing AAu and high school basketball doesn’t mean jack when you step on a division one court and play top 50 programs. Believe me I’m all excited for her to come to Tennessee but y’all treating her like you treated Cooper. Half way through her freshman year y’all were complaining about all her to’s and wanted her bench. We all have a bad history of putting our eggs in one basket. Let’s just see how thing play out

Agreed! Rarely do freshmen come in and play the minutes Westbrook, Davis and Hayes played. The lack of recruits in 2016, except for Harris, was not good. My feeling is Hayes should be point and Westbrook the 2 guard. Hopefully the staff can get a quality post from a Junior college.

Unless Hayes and Westbrook improve a lot, we will be in trouble next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed! Rarely do freshmen come in and play the minutes Westbrook, Davis and Hayes played. The lack of recruits in 2016, except for Harris, was not good. My feeling is Hayes should be point and Westbrook the 2 guard. Hopefully the staff can get a quality post from a Junior college.

Unless Hayes and Westbrook improve a lot, we will be in trouble next year.

Agree,,,teach her everything about being a PG and help her to develop a stop-n-pop. She needs to be able to pull up on a blink and hit the 12 footer. And not just at the elbow...From any point. We have no one who consistently plays the mid-range game...this would make her invaluable.

I wouldn't make her a 2,,Westbrook isn't a gunner, she is a brilliant passer. I'd play her as a light 4...Westbrook's game is more inclined to be like a high-post point-forward. Like Karl Malone was. Stockton would drop off to Malone and Malone would pivot into a shot or drive, or, reverse pivot into a fade-away. She would be great in that role.

Not to leave Davis out of it, she is a natural three. That's true small forward. She can create off the dribble take it to the rack pull up and shoots or back someone down and she plays all segments as a floor. So what we've got here is a point guard, a point/power forward and a small forward all I need is shooter [meme] , and the Lowe post Kasi and Greene .... Sounds like a pretty potent offense, even without the New Kids on the Block coming in.

Last edited:
Agree,,,teach her everything about being a PG and help her to develop a stop-n-pop. She needs to be able to pull up on a blink and hit the 12 footer. And not just at the elbow...From any point. We have no one who consistently plays the mid-range game...this would make her invaluable.

I wouldn't make her a 2,,Westbrook isn't a gunner, she is a brilliant passer. I'd play her as a light 4...Westbrook's game is more inclined to be like a high-post point-forward. Like Karl Malone was. Stockton would drop off to Malone and Malone would pivot into a shot or drive, or, reverse pivot into a fade-away. She would be great in that role.

I think this is interesting. Do you think she's big enough to play a 4?

I think this is interesting. Do you think she's big enough to play a 4?

She is just slightly shorter and slightly smaller than Jamie who played at this year. Also she's in more accurate better passer then Jamie or even Graves of last year. What you would have to do is run the high post offense
. But I believe this type of offense will give her the best shot of a great career and the new players coming in will have girth for down low and height.

Jumper, your observations raise the question on what changes will be made in the offense when the LV lack the inside presence of recent years. Will the half-court offense be tailored to the strengths of the players.

I wonder how many of the guard's TO were from trying to thread the ball into the low post against double and sometimes triple team defense.

Jumper, your observations raise the question on what changes will be made in the offense when the LV lack the inside presence of recent years. Will the half-court offense be tailored to the strengths of the players.

I wonder how many of the guard's TO were from trying to thread the ball into the low post against double and sometimes triple team defense.

Unless something changes,,,I see no changes.

Most of our turnovers were unforced, as I saw them.
Picture perfect decisions from the passer and off-the-wall reactions by the receiver.

Many times,,,not once,,,many times I saw a player with one foot in the paint and the "thread the needle bounce-pass" was thrown for a basket direction cut, only to see the potential recipient go the opposite direction (away from the basket)>>>?????? why??????

There are drills for this.

VN Store

Back