LOL At Oregon's Stadium!!

I think that they should put an actual db meter on the jumbotron every now and then. The crowd seeing exactly how loud they are will only make them louder.

I also suggest Oregon fans watch this video of our pregame show which I think is one of the very best parts of the UT gameday experience and one of the best pregame shows in the nation. They may not show it on ESPN2, and if they do, I'm sure there will be someone saying something unintelligent over top of the music.

YouTube - Pride of the Southland Pregame: UCLA 2009

EDIT:
As you can see I'm spending all afternoon just watching YouTube clips, so here is Rocky Top filmed from the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxb0PKdL_Y&feature=related

Last edited:
I've read 14 pages of posts and not a single one explains what relevance a stadium 2500 miles away from Knoxville has on this weekend's game.

Also, obviously smaller stadiums suck...that's why everyone hates Fenway Park...oh wait...

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm not into the elaborate band walking thing. But, the dog running out is cool.

My favorite part was the guy who yells "You can go straight to hell!" when UCLA comes out. :)

At Oregon, they bring the Duck out on a Harley. Last year, they almost ran over the opposing teams kicker. Wish I could find the video. It's out there somewhere.

Roboduck.jpg

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm not into the elaborate band walking thing. But, the dog running out is cool.

My favorite part was the guy who yells "You can go straight to hell!" when UCLA comes out. :)

At Oregon, they bring the Duck out on a Harley. Last year, they almost ran over the opposing teams kicker. Wish I could find the video. It's out there somewhere.

Sidebar: remember when T-Rac ran over the Saints' backup QB?

Really guys?

Neyland and Autzen are both super loud. Neyland holds a bazillion people, and Autzen's fans are creepily close to the playing field.

Everyone happy?

Really guys?

Neyland and Autzen are both super loud. Neyland holds a bazillion people, and Autzen's fans are creepily close to the playing field.

Everyone happy?

u better be glad your playing LSU in Dallas and not Death Valley

What, other than Les blowing the game, would happen?

i dont care if barney fife is the head coach. Death Valley is probley the toughest place to play a football game at. if your not mentally prepared, it could get ugly.

What does it hold,over 50,000.That is as small as the SEC's smallest Stadium,Vandy!!LOL at Oregon,they sure are not into college football and very few fans!!

Well....I had a few Oregon fans mock the men's restrooms and the troughs. Seems they hadn't seen such a thing in something like 20 years. Heard a few more LOL our team after hanging 45 straight on us. Know which one I'd prefer to be laughing at. Gimme a team like that....a group of smoking cheerleaders like the Ducks have and I'll gladly trade 100K for 50K.

oregon does have some amazingly smoking cheerleaders

Got to meet them as I was walking toward the stadium along side the Vol navy. Beautiful to be sure. Thought about asking the wife to snap a quick pic of me with them, but the look on her face as she saw the look on mine told me that might not be the best idea I've had recently.

As a Cal fan that has been to both Autzen and Neyland...

I was in Neyland in 06 for the Cal game. There was a lot of pent-up angst from a disappointing prior year, and I don't think the locals were happy about this west coast pac 10 team (known for its liberal/hippy history) rolling in ranked higher than us and favored by a point. Without a doubt, as the Tennessee players came out of the T and entered the field... that was the loudest moment in any stadium I'm ever been to (and I'll be surprised if it is surpassed period). Tennessee fans in attendance said it was louder than any recent game to that point, perhaps only rivaled by some late 90s UT/UF games. And the roar/shaking upper deck when they scored their first TD still brings goosebumps.

I was also in Autzen in 2007. Peak noise did not seem as high, but the stadium is very, very loud. Most stadiums have a kind of linear 'build-up' in noise as their team is on defense that crescendo's towards its peak right before the snap. Autzen's does that too but it doesn't seem linear... it rises kinda exponentially and continues rising to a noise level beyond what you think a stadium of its size has any right to be.

Its worth noting that the Ore-Cal 2007 game was close throughout (though the 1st half was a miserably played football game... not so for the 2nd), while the UT/Cal game was over in the 3rd quarter.

One other difference... the fans. When I made the trip, i was a student, broke at the time, and made the trip for $50 total (slept against a UT library the 1st night). Several of my friends flaked but I was determined, and the trip was made possible because a Vol fan offered to drive me from Nashville to Knoxville on his way. He even put me up in a hotel the second night cause he felt bad the way the game unfolded. Also, TNFlower over on the UT scout forum (maybe here too) invited the entire Cal message board over for bbq... and IIRC she, her family and friends made ~200 lbs of southern bbq (something ludicrous like that) without asking a dime in return. Moreover, we met locals who offered to trade us jars of moonshine for Cal t-shirts (which we'd drink with them in the parking lots as we got it) and just in general... hospitality was off the charts.

Oregon fans are devoted, but we got waaaay more snide comments and pissed off replies after the game... though again, that may have been a byproduct of how the game unfolded. Not much in the way of 'southern hospitality', but I guess you can't expect that everywhere (though Cal fans made a concerted effort to return the favor to UT in 07).

I told everyone on the Oregon board that they needed to make the trip out to UT. Its a special place to watch a football game, thats for sure.

Got to meet them as I was walking toward the stadium along side the Vol navy. Beautiful to be sure. Thought about asking the wife to snap a quick pic of me with them, but the look on her face as she saw the look on mine told me that might not be the best idea I've had recently.

LOL you are one brave man to even consider that. :eek:lol:

As a Cal fan that has been to both Autzen and Neyland...

I was in Neyland in 06 for the Cal game. There was a lot of pent-up angst from a disappointing prior year, and I don't think the locals were happy about this west coast pac 10 team (known for its liberal/hippy history) rolling in ranked higher than us and favored by a point. Without a doubt, as the Tennessee players came out of the T and entered the field... that was the loudest moment in any stadium I'm ever been to (and I'll be surprised if it is surpassed period). Tennessee fans in attendance said it was louder than any recent game to that point, perhaps only rivaled by some late 90s UT/UF games. And the roar/shaking upper deck when they scored their first TD still brings goosebumps.

I was also in Autzen in 2007. Peak noise did not seem as high, but the stadium is very, very loud. Most stadiums have a kind of linear 'build-up' in noise as their team is on defense that crescendo's towards its peak right before the snap. Autzen's does that too but it doesn't seem linear... it rises kinda exponentially and continues rising to a noise level beyond what you think a stadium of its size has any right to be.

Its worth noting that the Ore-Cal 2007 game was close throughout (though the 1st half was a miserably played football game... not so for the 2nd), while the UT/Cal game was over in the 3rd quarter.

One other difference... the fans. When I made the trip, i was a student, broke at the time, and made the trip for $50 total (slept against a UT library the 1st night). Several of my friends flaked but I was determined, and the trip was made possible because a Vol fan offered to drive me from Nashville to Knoxville on his way. He even put me up in a hotel the second night cause he felt bad the way the game unfolded. Also, TNFlower over on the UT scout forum (maybe here too) invited the entire Cal message board over for bbq... and IIRC she, her family and friends made ~200 lbs of southern bbq (something ludicrous like that) without asking a dime in return. Moreover, we met locals who offered to trade us jars of moonshine for Cal t-shirts (which we'd drink with them in the parking lots as we got it) and just in general... hospitality was off the charts.

Oregon fans are devoted, but we got waaaay more snide comments and pissed off replies after the game... though again, that may have been a byproduct of how the game unfolded. Not much in the way of 'southern hospitality', but I guess you can't expect that everywhere (though Cal fans made a concerted effort to return the favor to UT in 07).

I told everyone on the Oregon board that they needed to make the trip out to UT. Its a special place to watch a football game, thats for sure.

I'm not saying you'll see Tenn style hospitality at Autzen, especially for a Cal fan. Not a whole lot of love loss between Cal and Oregon. The Tedford thing makes it a bit difficult, him being the former Offensive coordinator. And most likely he was going to be the next head coach. But he couldn't wait and Cal and Oregon have butted heads on a regular basis. It's different than when you play host to a team from the other side of the country and you play them once or twice a century.

I'm not saying you'll see Tenn style hospitality at Autzen, especially for a Cal fan. Not a whole lot of love loss between Cal and Oregon. The Tedford thing makes it a bit difficult, him being the former Offensive coordinator. And most likely he was going to be the next head coach. But he couldn't wait and Cal and Oregon have butted heads on a regular basis. It's different than when you play host to a team from the other side of the country and you play them once or twice a century.

I am hoping I get to make the trip for our rematch in Autzen. I just hope you guys have sweet tea and biscuits n gravy out there.

That's a great story to hear. Hearing great things about our hospitality here is almost as heart warming as winning. Nothing beats the college football environment and the people that make it possible.

And I love telling it. My friends (the ones who flaked and made it a solo trip) called me the next day concerned for my well-being the game looked so bad... but believe it or not, I managed to have a great time despite the score.

Vols became an adopted 2nd team that day.

Some vids I took on my ghetto camera:
YouTube - Tennessee Vols running through the T
YouTube - Tennessee Band pregame march

And I'm not judging the fanbase for it... Cal/Oregon has become a rivalry during recent years. We compete for the same recruits, we have many of the same coaches, and we've been 2 of the best 3 teams behind USC this decade. After a game decided on a controversial last play... I'm not expecting hugs and kisses.

I'm just saying... Tennessee hospitality is something else.

Don't get me wrong either... Autzen is loud and the thought of it at 70k is something I really want to see. My friends and I took it upon ourselves to 'ruin' the Oregon section we were sitting in 07... basically trying to out-do the locals to the point where that section contributed nothing. I think we did our job :)

I could see the average Oregon home game being louder than the average UT home game. But I've seen Autzen at or near its peak, and it wasn't as loud (maybe 'energetic' is a better word) as Neyland as the team came onto the field through the T that year.

Oregon fans do get points for one thing... the year we played them (right after the hippies had been removed from our trees), many of them had a shirt on that read "Our hippies love football"

:lol:

VN Store

Back