Leadership

Some of my posts are definitely not 100% accurate in case anyone was wondering......lol

Boom!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Okay, so tell me the story in detail, as you heard it. Who did what to whom? What leaders (coaches or players or other staff/faculty) were present? Was it brought to Butch as a disciplinary action, and if so, what did he decide?

I'm dying to hear someone who really knows this story, so we stop getting the internet rumors on it.

Give you the details? Watch the press conference and google the articles yourself.

Reactions: 4 people
Give you the details? Watch the press conference and google the articles yourself.

By "articles," you mean blogs with unpaid writers at places like 24/7 and BR, right? Where no fact-checking is done. Where stories have about as much validity as posts in VN.com.

But if you know of any article about the event, any at all, from a source where they actually have editorial fact checking--like ESPN, SI, CBS Sports Online, etc.--I'd love to get the link from you.

As for Butch's press conference, he said Shy tripped over a helmet and fell. You don't believe him, nor do many people, but how do you expect us to get the "real story" from that?

I'm just trying to find out if you have ANY idea what really happened. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that you know no more than any of us. Which leaves us at unverified, vague internet rumors.

Reactions: 3 people
Hell, USMC, I did some checking. Came up with zip for reliable reporting that says anything other than quoting Butch's version.

Knoxville News may be a rag, but it does have real editors who really fact check. All they could say was that Butch said it was Shy tripping over a helmet.

Vols football: Shy Tuttle hurt by helmet, not teammate, Butch Jones says

Sportsradioknoxville.com is one of those blogs I was talking about. It doesn't know what happened, but throws a pretty hefty "BS flag" at Butch's version. Note: any story that has the word "bulls**t" in print does NOT have an editor, and almost certainly wasn't fact-checked. But even this article doesn't say what really happened:

Five Things More Likely Than Shy Tuttle Falling On A Helmet - FOX Sports Radio Knoxville

I found plenty of blogs like that. One even claimed that Nigel Warrior was the guy in the fight with Shy.

But not a single source actually explained what happened, who (other than Shy and his supposed attacker) were there, or whether a fight was reported to the coaching staff for disciplinary action.

We are utterly clueless. Unless you know.

You seemed like you did, when you first insulted Butch. So I'd love to hear what you know, and how you know it.

By "articles," you mean blogs with unpaid writers at places like 24/7 and BR, right? Where no fact-checking is done. Where stories have about as much validity as posts in VN.com.

But if you know of any article about the event, any at all, from a source where they actually have editorial fact checking--like ESPN, SI, CBS Sports Online, etc.--I'd love to get the link from you.

As for Butch's press conference, he said Shy tripped over a helmet and fell. You don't believe him, nor do many people, but how do you expect us to get the "real story" from that?

I'm just trying to find out if you have ANY idea what really happened. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that you know no more than any of us. Which leaves us at unverified, vague internet rumors.

Watch the press conference then where Butch gets mad at the press for asking about it then. I dont really care what you think. Funny you bring up the news articles but not the press conference. You must be a Butch Jones apologist.

Reactions: 1 person
Hell, USMC, I did some checking. Came up with zip for reliable reporting that says anything other than quoting Butch's version.

Knoxville News may be a rag, but it does have real editors who really fact check. All they could say was that Butch said it was Shy tripping over a helmet.

Vols football: Shy Tuttle hurt by helmet, not teammate, Butch Jones says

Sportsradioknoxville.com is one of those blogs I was talking about. It doesn't know what happened, but throws a pretty hefty "BS flag" at Butch's version. Note: any story that has the word "bulls**t" in print does NOT have an editor, and almost certainly wasn't fact-checked. But even this article doesn't say what really happened:

Five Things More Likely Than Shy Tuttle Falling On A Helmet - FOX Sports Radio Knoxville

I found plenty of blogs like that. One even claimed that Nigel Warrior was the guy in the fight with Shy.

But not a single source actually explained what happened, who (other than Shy and his supposed attacker) were there, or whether a fight was reported to the coaching staff for disciplinary action. We are utterly clueless.

Unless you know. You seemed like you did, when you first insulted Butch. So I'd love to hear what you know, and how you know it.

I'm pretty sure Brandon Johnson's uncle gave us the best explanation.... Although I don't quite remember what he said. I think he stated it was definitely an argument. WHERE IS GREAZY WHEN WE NEED HIM..... LAWD MERCY!

Watch the press conference then where Butch gets mad at the press for asking about it then. I dont really care what you think. Funny you bring up the news articles but not the press conference. You must be a Butch Jones apologist.

You didn't read the Knoxville News article I linked, did you? It _is_ the Butch press conference, summarized. And yes, I've seen video of Butch's statement, more than once. All it gives is Butch's version.

You seem to be getting upset, but all I'm asking is a simple question: do you know what really happened? Any details at all?

And if you don't, how on earth can you judge the performance of the various leaders involved?

No, I'm not a Butch apologist. The man has plenty of faults. But I'm not gonna pile internet rumor-faults on top of the real ones. Fault a man for what he did, not what a bunch of random strangers are guessing and making up that he did.

I'm pretty sure Brandon Johnson's uncle gave us the best explanation.... Although I don't quite remember what he said. I think he stated it was definitely an argument. WHERE IS GREAZY WHEN WE NEED HIM..... LAWD MERCY!

I must've missed that post by Greazy. Would love to hear him tell what he knows (from his nephew, undoubtedly) about the incident.

You didn't read the Knoxville News article I linked, did you? It _is_ the Butch press conference, summarized. And yes, I've seen video of Butch's statement, more than once. All it gives is Butch's version.

You seem to be getting upset, but all I'm asking is a simple question: do you know what really happened? Any details at all?

And if you don't, how on earth can you judge the performance of the various leaders involved?

No, I'm not a Butch apologist. The man has plenty of faults. But I'm not gonna pile internet rumor-faults on top of the real ones. Fault a man for what he did, not what a bunch of random strangers are guessing and making up that he did.

Why get so flustered when asked a question about it then unless he's lying?

How can you judge the leadership performance? For the fact of the piss poor performance of our team last year. That's all you need to know the leadership sucked.

How can you judge the leadership performance? For the fact of the piss poor performance of our team last year. That's all you need to know the leadership sucked.

Absolutely. That's something we agree 100% on. Butch spectacularly failed as a head football coach last year. And leadership is a big part of that failure.

That doesn't mean he doesn't still know more than most folks here about leadership.

I wouldn't say Butch is a great leader. He may not even be a particularly good leader. He seems to have some fatal flaws.

But he's a ton better than Dooley, and was good enough to lead big sports programs for 11 years, and be at least somewhat successful in most of those years.

That puts him well beyond most folks in leadership experience and success. Even with his dismal failure in the final year.

Reactions: 4 people
Plenty of potential leaders on defense:
Warrior, Kelly, Tuttle, Phillips, bituli even Kirkland, Abernathy

On Offense it could be an underclassman like Smith, or even JJ, or the QB that wins the job.

Last edited:

JP, are you a lawyer? It seems it this point, we need to call you, MR. JP. Lol

He won’t. He’s out of touch and plays “holier than thou.” He went off on me for an inside joke that most posters understood, then stated I was probably a rapist and yadda yadda. Then he was yucking it up in another thread being completely crass and contradicting this fine moral code he had anointed himself with.

He’s a sad individual.

Reactions: 5 people
He won’t. He’s out of touch and plays “holier than thou.” He went off on me for an inside joke that most posters understood, then stated I was probably a rapist and yadda yadda. Then he was yucking it up in another thread being completely crass and contradicting this fine moral code he had anointed himself with.

He’s a sad individual.

I don't share this opinion. I didn't see the exchange between the two of you concerning the rapist comment, but it doesn't seem like JP.

I do know sometimes things said in black and white don't translate the way I'd like for them to.

Jmo, tifwiw, I'll stfu now.

I don't share this opinion. I didn't see the exchange between the two of you concerning the rapist comment, but it doesn't seem like JP.

I do know sometimes things said in black and white don't translate the way I'd like for them to.

Jmo, tifwiw, I'll stfu now.

It came way out of left field. I never had issues with him before that, and I completely lost any respect I had for him. It was really pathetic.

I have some doubts about this one unless he's matured a ton in the last 6 months. Don't forget, after he was injured in the 1st game last season, he was hardly seen around the program.

Jones addresses WR Jennings' continued absence on sideline

Some players are simply players and not leaders, and that's OK.

Didn't Bituli get baited into two personal fouls and a resultant DQ in at least one game last year? with these two we would have almost as inspiring a pair as the CFL's Manzeil and Masoli, whose 40 time has improved greatly now that he no longer has a TV on his back.

The most encouraging thing I've heard Pruitt say to date has been that the coaches will be the leaders of this team.

Anyone that's ever worked with large groups of kids ought to know that effective positive leadership is a rarer gift than most of these kids' physical talents. You cannot count on that kind of leadership being there, and you cannot just sit back and wait for it to emerge. That is how you end up with the inmates running the asylum, which is what I think happened the last 2 or 3 years of Jones's tenure.

Reactions: 3 people
When you say "news articles"...I saw a couple of on-line blogs picked the helmet rumor up, but the editorial standards of on-line blogs (like fact-checking and verifying stories) is practically non-existent.

The same could be said for “professional” journalists. Real journalism has been dead for a long time now.

Well, there are a whole lot of ways of leading, and each way can be very effective with some people, under certain circumstances.

Leadership is far too complex a field to be summarized in a sentence or two.

Having said that, I agree with you that leadership by example is very often one of the best approaches.

But neither your response nor mine (so far) have anything to do with the topic at hand. So...

break/break

I haven't heard about any particular lad stepping up in recent weeks, OP. We did see Bituli attempting to lead his defensive teammates during the Spring game, and Guarantano was exhibiting some leadership as well.

You figure one of the big charges CJP has given Fitz is to look for and nurture leaders in the locker room during this "down period." Emergence of new leaders during the window where the coaches can't direct them is a big part of developing team chemistry each year.

I suspect we'll start to hear some stories on this topic as we get close to fall camp. That's about when Fitz will be "handing off" to CJP and the rest of the coaching staff.

The way I understand what you are saying is that "Fitz" is a big wheel on this wagon. Have not understood this before, as to the position. Just thought it was to make the guys big and strong. Thanks..

VN Store

Back