Last 10 Years of No. 1 Dual QB ratings

That Ainge vs Schaeffer competition was great. Talk about talented freshman, i can remember how quick a release Ainge had on his passes his freshman year he was a gunslinger like some described Bray. And Schaeffer had legs we hadn't had on the field at qb since 98, of course they both ended up getting hurt but man that was a fun season.

Reactions: 1 person
Black = automatically dual threat
White = presumed statue

Let's see if anyone can answer this question - why is there a disproportionate amount of African American athletes compared to whites and other races in basketball and football on the professional level?

Russell Shepard was probably the most under-utilized 5* QB I've ever seen. He should sue LSU for screwing up his college career.

He wasn't a QB...much less a 5* version...much less an underutilized one. Was a great athlete.

Let's see if anyone can answer this question - why is there a disproportionate amount of African American athletes compared to whites and other races in basketball and football on the professional level?

Ask Jimmy the Greek. He's waiting for you. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Because of the geographical impact on human evolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I rolled my eyes when I read your thread, then I saw this one:

And Pro style for comparison

2005 - Mark Sanchez
2006 - Matthew Stanford
2007 - Jimmy Clausen
2008 - Blaine Gabbert
2009 - Matt Barkley
2010 - Jake Heaps
2011 - Jeff Driskel
2012 - Gunner Kiel
2013 - Max Browne
2014 - Kyle Allen
2015 - Josh Rosen
2016 - Jacob Eason
2017 - Hunter Johnson

... not a lot of ethnic names showing up, could be something to it. I hope not for crying out loud.

This has been the norm forever. It also shows when analysts compares pro basketball or football players. If the player is white then his comparison is going to be to a white player, same for the black players. Been like that for as long as I have watched sports. About 30 years.

OK, first of all, I'm not advocating that Jarrett should be the starter. I was just curious of the success rate that QB's have had that have held the ranking of being No. 1 as he did in 2016.

2007 - Tyrod Taylor
2008 - Terrelle Pryor
2009 - Russell Shepard
2010 - Blake Bell
2011 - Jeff Driskel
2012 - Jameis Winston
2013 - Asiantii Woulard
2014 - Deshaun Watson
2015 - Kyler Murray
2016 - Jarrett Guarantano

Yes, there are some that didn't fair to well; however, the majority of this list made headlines. I'm hoping that our new offensive coordinator uses him to his full potential when the time is right.

Kyler will be everywhere in another year after baker leaves OU.. hes the best HS football player ever..(record wise...he didn't lose). Hes got a strange sense of entitlement though.. I guess that's what happens when you don't lose a game in your HS career

Last edited:

Don't use this forum as a vehicle to espouse your racism.

Wait... is it still racism if its a compliment?

Cultural emphasis would be my guess. Some African American families, especially inner city poor families, view sports or music as the only way to make it out of the hood. Education takes a back seat to being a good athlete. There's a view from their stand point that getting a good education and getting a "white collar" job puts them at a disadvantage because they're in the perceived "white man's world" at that point. Of course this isn't a broad statement, as you can never paint a culture or race with a broad brush. There are plenty of African American families who put great emphasis on education, but I feel that since the majority of African American athletes come from inner city areas, cultural emphasis on sports is the main reason.

You can make a case that 5 out of 8 panned out as QBs and 3 out of 8 turned into superstars (Watson, Winston, Pryor). That's not bad, especially compared to top-rated "Pro-Style QBs." Go back and dig through the Pro-Style QBs and you'll find a lot of names you've never heard, so it appears that the top-rated Dual Threat QBs have a much better success record.

For the record, I'm including Driskel in the 5 out of 8. He struggled in his last year at Florida, but it was largely due to injuries. He was very good at LaTech and is currently on the roster for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Also, FTR, Blake Bell and Russell Shepard are both NFL players, albeit at Tight End and Wide Receiver respectively. So if you count that, then 7 out of 8 have been productive in some regard. Woulard is the only true bust on the list.

Winston was dual threat? He's a statue, a prostyle pocket passer. Interesting.

That's the way he plays. But when pressed to make something happen with his feet he can. Good coaching at FSU for him prepared for the NFL game.

OK, first of all, I'm not advocating that Jarrett should be the starter. I was just curious of the success rate that QB's have had that have held the ranking of being No. 1 as he did in 2016.

2007 - Tyrod Taylor
2008 - Terrelle Pryor
2009 - Russell Shepard
2010 - Blake Bell
2011 - Jeff Driskel
2012 - Jameis Winston
2013 - Asiantii Woulard
2014 - Deshaun Watson
2015 - Kyler Murray
2016 - Jarrett Guarantano

Yes, there are some that didn't fair to well; however, the majority of this list made headlines. I'm hoping that our new offensive coordinator uses him to his full potential when the time is right.

67% panned out. I still like QD to win the job.

:)

TennesseeDuke

Winston was dual threat? He's a statue, a prostyle pocket passer. Interesting.

Not true at all, he had some amazing runs in college. FSU runs a pro style offense and Winston was put into that system and adapted to it, much like how Mariota runs the pro style for the Titans.

Cultural emphasis would be my guess. Some African American families, especially inner city poor families, view sports or music as the only way to make it out of the hood. Education takes a back seat to being a good athlete. There's a view from their stand point that getting a good education and getting a "white collar" job puts them at a disadvantage because they're in the perceived "white man's world" at that point. Of course this isn't a broad statement, as you can never paint a culture or race with a broad brush. There are plenty of African American families who put great emphasis on education, but I feel that since the majority of African American athletes come from inner city areas, cultural emphasis on sports is the main reason.

Might have a very small impact, if true. It's most definitely genetics/human evolution.

Not true at all, he had some amazing runs in college. FSU runs a pro style offense and Winston was put into that system and adapted to it, much like how Mariota runs the pro style for the Titans.

Absolutely true. Had one very long, extremely uncharacteristic td run that was memorable, and that's about it. 57 carries for 65 yards his last year at FSU, sacked 44 times in 2 years......statue.

Last edited:
Absolutely true. Had one very long, extremely uncharacteristic td run that was memorable, and that's about it. 57 carries for 65 yards his last year at FSU, sacked 44 times in 2 years......statue.

He's a pretty athletic guy for his size

VN Store

Back