Lady Vols Softball SEC Tournament

No, getting a bad vipe about this squad. Sputtering a lot down the stretch. Love Renfroe's savvy but she doesn't exactly overpower anybody--more of a finesse pitcher. And our hitting has gotten spotty. Leadoff double two innings ago and then three straight Ks? Is the kentucky pitcher THAT good? Hope they crank it up.

And, they are going to make everyone leave and pay again even though the separation of game times does not change. I am not hobbling out and then back in.

Reactions: 1 person
From afar one gets the impression that the Vols are a tired team, which with all of their young players could be the case. Renfroe seems the same and she's a senior! Certainly a tired effort today.

This probably eliminates us from contention to host a super regional.

Team has played on the road a lot this year so going on the road for supers isn't a big deal...and honestly getting out of SEC play for a while will be good!!

Team has played on the road a lot this year so going on the road for supers isn't a big deal...and honestly getting out of SEC play for a while will be good!!

Be careful what you wish for... I would rather face some of our SEC brethren than one of the big 5 from the Pac-12 on their home turf.

The Pac-12 is back in a big way this year.

And who is going to pitch next year? Gabriel? Who hasn't pitched more than two innings straight all year? Gaffin? Hard to believe the Weeklys will take a very good hitting team into next year without an established pitcher. Tough.

They will probably even be a better hitting team next year with who they have coming in. The thing with Kentucky is I knew it was going to be tough to beat them four straight especially with all our youngsters. Ellen should get a little more focused in the tournament (hopefully) and Gaffin and Gabriel have been picking it up a little lately. I think you'll see some hot bats in the tournament. Let's just hope the Weekleys make good decisions.

The wrong draw may make it a struggle to even get past regionals.

The wrong draw may make it a struggle to even get past regionals.

I agree, this. We are in the RPI 9-16 range meaning we will theoretically get a 17 through 24 seed. We will not get LSU or Texas a&M since they are from the same conference. I'm betting we get James Madison due to geographic proximity to Knoxville. They could go to Kentucky but I bet they leave that slot for one of the Big Ten teams.

9. MISSOURI
10. ARIZONA STATE
11. ARIZONA
12. BAYLOR
13. TENNESSEE
14. WASHINGTON
15. AUBURN
16. KENTUCKY

17. MINNESOTA
18. MICHIGAN
19. NEBRASKA
20. LSU
21. SOUTH ALABAMA
22. TEXAS A&M
23. JAMES MADISON
24. TULSA

Lets look at the season as a whole. Tennessee came in with the arguably #1 or #2 pitcher in the nation. Good recruiting class, stable of good underclassment (Soph's, Juniors) and Davin/Shipman. Preseaon #1 and actually showed that they could back it up early in the season just rocking teams who chose to go right after these young kids. NOW....as the seasons has progressed, teams have done their homework. Our young hitters now have hitting profiles developed by other teams. No one knew us before. They had never seen our freshman, and our sophs had less time on the field than I did. Once the profiles were developed "good" coaching and pitch calling has come into play. D1 pitchers take advantage......they're opportunists......just like MLBB. We started a "team slump" as the season progressed. That IMO is attributed to two things. 1) good pitch calling, and 2) young anxious players not being as patient as they probably should. To me they've got to learn that getting deep into a count is not only ok, it frustrates pitchers over a game when several players can do it. There are a few of our kids that can and will take a pitcher deep, and actually there are a couple that seem to prefer to. We need more. Our BA has gone down as a team is IMO attributed to other teams developed profiles and our "eagerness" to hit. Which actually can work against you. I dont see alot of bad hitting mechanics, or bad approaches to at bats.........just need to be harder at bats to the pitchers, as a team. We not only need to be a tough hitting team....we need to be a tough at bat team. If we get struck out after 9-12 pitches to me your still getting something out of both the batter and effecting the pitcher to a degree. We know we cant rely on the umpires to frustrate pitchers.........we have to do it. They are no longer going to go right at us. IMO I really want to see tougher at bats, and also movement in the box to keep pithcers guessing more. I think our kids are good enough hitters to crowd or move around in the box.

2-0 was the final -- looks more like hitting is needed

Lets look at the season as a whole. Tennessee came in with the arguably #1 or #2 pitcher in the nation. Good recruiting class, stable of good underclassment (Soph's, Juniors) and Davin/Shipman. Preseaon #1 and actually showed that they could back it up early in the season just rocking teams who chose to go right after these young kids. NOW....as the seasons has progressed, teams have done their homework. Our young hitters now have hitting profiles developed by other teams. No one knew us before. They had never seen our freshman, and our sophs had less time on the field than I did. Once the profiles were developed "good" coaching and pitch calling has come into play. D1 pitchers take advantage......they're opportunists......just like MLBB. We started a "team slump" as the season progressed. That IMO is attributed to two things. 1) good pitch calling, and 2) young anxious players not being as patient as they probably should. To me they've got to learn that getting deep into a count is not only ok, it frustrates pitchers over a game when several players can do it. There are a few of our kids that can and will take a pitcher deep, and actually there are a couple that seem to prefer to. We need more. Our BA has gone down as a team is IMO attributed to other teams developed profiles and our "eagerness" to hit. Which actually can work against you. I dont see alot of bad hitting mechanics, or bad approaches to at bats.........just need to be harder at bats to the pitchers, as a team. We not only need to be a tough hitting team....we need to be a tough at bat team. If we get struck out after 9-12 pitches to me your still getting something out of both the batter and effecting the pitcher to a degree. We know we cant rely on the umpires to frustrate pitchers.........we have to do it. They are no longer going to go right at us. IMO I really want to see tougher at bats, and also movement in the box to keep pithcers guessing more. I think our kids are good enough hitters to crowd or move around in the box.

That Kentucky pitcher pitched a great game the other night. Probably pitched her best game all year. It was going to be difficult to beat them four straight. Sometimes you run into that. Better to happen in the SEC tournament than the NCAA. I think that last change-up she threw for a strike would have gotten 99 out of 100 players. Incredible pitch. Hopefully the team can regroup for the tournament. P.S.-Kentucky and Georgia are in the Championship game.

Last edited:
Nunley was on. Coach called great pitches all day too. Last pitch was not one the umpire was calling during the game. She tried it several times and didn't get the call. Same umpire wouldn't give Ellen the inside at all either. Watched the replay and to me as a vol fan it looked like a ball on the outside....to the Kentucky fans it didnt matter ump called a strike..should she have swung?? Well if its close you fight....but hitters are taught to talk to each other about strike zones and watch what the umpires zone all game long. She took 9 pitches, any other at bat that would be considered a very good at bat. Nunley was brilliant.

That Kentucky pitcher pitched a great game the other night. Probably pitched her best game all year. It was going to be difficult to beat them four straight. Sometimes you run into that. Better to happen in the SEC tournament than the NCAA. I think that last change-up she threw for a strike would have gotten 99 out of 100 players. Incredible pitch. Hopefully the team can regroup for the tournament. P.S.-Kentucky and Georgia are in the Championship game.

I think today Nunley runs out of gas though....UGA has been playing well the last few weeks

Just so everybody knows, we didn't sweep Kentucky. We lost 5-2 in the second game of the series.

VN Store

Back