Knecht in the latest ESPN mock draft

Speaks to the weakness of the draft class. If Knecht was 1-2 years younger, he'd likely be the #1 pick, IMO. But the fact Sheppard is anywhere near the top of the board shows how lukewarm GMs are on the talent available.

Sheppard is an ultra-safe pick with a high floor in a crap shoot draft. At worst he's going to be a great team guy and a solid role player who can shoot the lights out. The bust factor with him is almost non-existent.

Reactions: Lankykong
Sheppard is an ultra-safe pick with a high floor in a crap shoot draft. At worst he's going to be a great team guy and a solid role player who can shoot the lights out. The bust factor with him is almost non-existent.

I don’t know. I would say it’s a stretch to say Sheppard has almost no chance to be a bust. He’s an under-sized guard. Can’t expect every prolific shooter to be Steph Curry. We’ll see how things go, but depending on how someone defines “bust” for a Top 5 pick in the draft, he certainly could end up being one.

Still can't wrap my head around Reed Sheppard being the #3 overall draft pick. He's a great player, no doubt, but man #3 overall?? He is certainly a prolific shooter.
age, Knecht is 23 Sheppard is 19... they project that in 4 years Sheppard will be better or equal to Knecht and his career is likely to be longer. aka better investment. Whether you and I agree or not AGE is the biggest factor of where u get drafted in the first round. Knecht being projected as a lottery pick at all at his age is kinda surprising not because of his talent but the NBA values AGE over all. They look at Knecht and see a player who's pretty much at his ceiling day 1 and projects to be a high level role player like for instance a JJ Reddick. Reed they see unlimited ceiling and they can mold him into whatever they want. Stats play a role but trust me every year guys are gonna go in the high lottery that weren't even starters or putting up numbers. Because they are young and show exceptional skill or physical makeup. One could logically assume that in 4 more years Sheppard will be a better player at 24 then Knecht is now. Thats how the NBA sees it.

You have to compare players in the draft to players their age not players in their draft class. One of the one smart points I ever heard Gilbert Arenas being up. If you draft a 19 year old player you compare that guy to guys his age in the league. Anthony Edwards is 22 years old averaging 26 a game in the league. He has played 4 years in the NBA and is younger than Knecht. Thats who Knecht is being compared to (by scouts/gm's) guys already in the league his age. 18-19 year olds they just see potential. Right or wrong, agree or not thats how it is.

Last edited:
age Knecht is 23 Sheppard is 19... they project that in 4 years Sheppard will be better or equal to Knecht and his career is likely to be longer. aka better investment. Whether you and I agree or not AGE is the biggest factor of where u get drafted in the first round.

Well, my post was about Reed Sheppard, not Dalton Knecht versus Reed Sheppard. Don’t believe I ever said “Why isn’t Dalton Knecht ahead of Reed Sheppard?”

I am well aware of the age factor. My own opinion is that, regardless of Sheppard’s age, it is still an indictment of this draft class that he is on any mock draft as the #3 overall pick and it has nothing to do with him versus Knecht, which is why I never made that comparison in the first place.

age Knecht is 23 Sheppard is 19... they project that in 4 years Sheppard will be better or equal to Knecht and his career is likely to be longer. aka better investment. Whether you and I agree or not AGE is the biggest factor of where u get drafted in the first round. Knecht being projected as a lottery pick at all at his age is kinda surprising not because of his talent but the NBA values AGE over all. They look at Knecht and see a player who's pretty much at his ceiling day 1 and projects to be a high level role player like for instance a JJ Reddick. Reed they see unlimited ceiling and they can mold him into whatever they want. Stats play a role but trust me every year guys are gonna go in the high lottery that weren't even starters or putting up numbers. Because they are young and show exceptional skill or physical makeup. One could logically assume that in 4 more years Sheppard will be a better player at 24 then Knecht is now. Thats how the NBA sees it.

You have to compare players in the draft to players their age not players in their draft class. One of the one smart points I ever heard Gilbert Arenas being up. If you draft a 19 year old player you compare that guy to guys his age in the league. Anthony Edwards is 22 years old averaging 26 a game in the league. He has played 4 years in the NBA and is younger than Knecht. Thats who Knecht is being compared to (by scouts/gm's) guys already in the league his age. 18-19 year olds they just see potential. Right or wrong, agree or not thats how it is.
I think the question you have to ask is what aspect of the game is Sheppard projected to be better at in four years?

They are pretty close as shooters, so maybe give the slight edge to Shep. Knecht is more athletic. Knecht is 3.5 inches taller with a much longer wingspan and standing reach. Shep may be a better defender. At 6'-1.75", he's going to have to prove he can play PG and defend them in the toughest league in the world. I guess if you're a gambler, you project Shep as a middle-class Steph Curry. But Knecht already has the goods and isn't ambiguous from a positional standpoint. He's a ready-made NBA SG. A contending team is going to love him.

And none of that is a knock on Reed Sheppard.

I don’t know. I would say it’s a stretch to say Sheppard has almost no chance to be a bust. He’s an under-sized guard. Can’t expect every prolific shooter to be Steph Curry. We’ll see how things go, but depending on how someone defines “bust” for a Top 5 pick in the draft, he certainly could end up being one.

He's only a top 5 pick because of the lack of true difference makers in this draft. What he is, to me, is one of the few 'certain' picks that you can almost bank on being a contributing player. He might well end up as a solid role player who didn't necessarily 'live up' to where he was picked, but I'd be quite surprised if he's not an asset wherever he ends up.

Reactions: Lankykong

VN Store

Back