Kilgore leaving Powell for Karns

Coach Allen had a meeting with the rising seniors today and my son was really impressed with him.

Concerning the Wing-T, he said it is not a foregone conclusion they will run it. It depends on the personnel. He said if the personnel fits the spread better he will stick with the spread.

He is also going to do the following:
1. Put the seniors pictures on their lockers
2. Spruce up the locker room
3. Get new weight equipment
4. Put player names on back of jerseys if they don't miss any summer workouts

He made a much better first impression than his predecessor did. Not sure where he's going to find the money for for new weight equipment, but hope he does!!

Anyway, he made a great first impression with the upcoming seniors.

I heard the names on the back of the jerseys was contingent upon 100% participation in the summer workouts. Every kid has to attend 100% of workouts. Not sure if that is true. Weight room will take some money. Get ready for fundraising and fees!

Reactions: 1 person
I heard the names on the back of the jerseys was contingent upon 100% participation in the summer workouts. Every kid has to attend 100% of workouts. Not sure if that is true. Weight room will take some money. Get ready for fundraising and fees!
Yes, as I said in my post, they can't miss any summer workouts. I suspect lots of fundraisers as well.

A new weight room is definitely needed.

Listened to the coach and the AD on the radio with Bill Mynatt this morning. Both said that the school committed to upgrading the weight room during the interview process. So, funds should come from the school and not the touchdown club. Also said that summer workouts will be from 10-12am or 6-8pm and the kids could choose which one to attend. Also, the offense will look similar to Catholic as the head coach at Catholic used to be offensive coordinator for Allen. He said that the interview for coordinators would begin internally and he hopes that current assistants could fill those roles.

Coach Stewart has been retained at Powell as the new defensive coordinator. Also, Reed Lindsey will be leaving Bearden and coming to Powell as a secondary coach.
Stewart wasn't on the staff last year as Kilgore let him go. Are you saying he's being re-hired as DC??

Sweet, I hadn't heard that and asked my son about it. He said, "oh yeah, forgot to tell you"... Big dummy...

I like Stewart, hopefully we'll go back to our previous defense!!

Stewart will not be joining the staff. He told Allen he wasn't going to be able to do it. :eek:hmy:

I have been in the coaching and teaching business for 21 years. I have seen it all. Politics ruin programs. I use to blame coaches all the time for leaving, now I say take the money, or better situation and run with it. A coach can bring a program up from never being in the playoffs to appearing every year but not winning the big one, and get run out the door for the shiny new guy. It happens all the time! When programs show more loyalty, I might change my outlook, but not until then. Some great coaches even get the boot because they didn't play the son of some influential person in town. Almost Every parent thinks their son is the best player, even though they don't see em practice every day. It's a rigged game in some places and coaches understand it and move to better situations for them. Don't blame em one bit.

If the previous coach didn't to be at PHS - he needed to go. Good luck to the new coach and looking forward to some of the young talent stepping up this year.

Last edited:
Karns will be hosting freshman jamboree. Unbelievable that Kilgore would take all of the contacts he got from Powell High School, which has been hosting the memorial freshman jamboree for ten years, contact coaches and say that Powell would not be hosting the jamboree and that Karns will be hosting. This should tell you all you need to know about Kilgore.

Karns will be hosting freshman jamboree. Unbelievable that Kilgore would take all of the contacts he got from Powell High School, which has been hosting the memorial freshman jamboree for ten years, contact coaches and say that Powell would not be hosting the jamboree and that Karns will be hosting. This should tell you all you need to know about Kilgore.

Actually, nobody from Powell began contacting area coaches about the frosh jamboree until just a couple of weeks ago. Nobody knew if there was even going to be a frosh jamboree at Powell this year up to that point, according to more than one area coach that I spoke with. That event has always been organized well before that time in past years.

If you are looking for somebody to blame, blame those who waited until the last minute to decide to do something.

Actually, nobody from Powell began contacting area coaches about the frosh jamboree until just a couple of weeks ago. Nobody knew if there was even going to be a frosh jamboree at Powell this year up to that point, according to more than one area coach that I spoke with. That event has always been organized well before that time in past years.

If you are looking for somebody to blame, blame those who waited until the last minute to decide to do something.
I do believe the person that usually organizes this stepped down and I hadn't heard anything about it in the TD club - but then again, I've missed several meetings.

Can't believe we would let that revenue slip away. Still find it a bit shady by Kilgore - but I'm obviously biased and can't stand him.

Let's hope Powell absolutely embarrasses Karns tomorrow night. It would serve Kilgore (a.k.a. Lane Kiffin) right.

VN Store

Back