Kilgore leaving Powell for Karns

Rang was fired by Knox County for improper test administration - so we can't really count that one. I'm really perplexed by Kilgore leaving, but have heard he and the AD are not seeing eye to eye.

We got Lane Kiffined.

Not exactly, although I get your point/comparison. Lane Kiffin left for what he "thought" was his dream job, a better program. Arguably that is true. But, Kilgore left for a historically, bottom feeder program from a program that had played for a state title. Karns is 141-315 since 1969. But, since Karns is coming off back to back 1-9 seasons, Kilgore might look better than he really is if he can "improve" Karns at all. A big question.

Not exactly, although I get your point/comparison. Lane Kiffin left for what he "thought" was his dream job, a better program. Arguably that is true. But, Kilgore left for a historically, bottom feeder program from a program that had played for a state title. Karns is 141-315 since 1969. But, since Karns is coming off back to back 1-9 seasons, Kilgore might look better than he really is if he can "improve" Karns at all. A big question.
I say we got Kiffined because he left after one year after lots of promises made. He left for selfish reasons. Yes, Kiffin was going to a much better program, but that is irrelevant as the major issue is leaving after one year.

Reactions: 1 person
He told the team he was moving because the pay is better and gives his family more opportunities. Then teared up and abruptly left the room.

The "real story" is the AD was not happy with his performance at all and was placing a lot of parameters regarding discipline and grades. Kilgore and our AD were not seeing eye to eye on the changes and Kilgore decided to leave.

No, the "real story" is the Powell fanbase and even some of the brat attitudes of the kids in the Powell program. No respectable coach will come here and if so he will not stay if the people here don't grow up. I know about the mock emails and crooked redneck tactics folks attempted to pull on Rang. The homerism here is sickening and so 1970-ish. After Matt Lowe left nobody else was gonna be accepted, point blank period. Nobody who isn't a homer will ever be accepted here. IMO the Powell fanbase has gotten what they deserve. And this is coming from a Powell resident who is dreadfully looking at sending my son to that clownshow of a program in a couple of years.

No, the "real story" is the Powell fanbase and even some of the brat attitudes of the kids in the Powell program. No respectable coach will come here and if so he will not stay if the people here don't grow up. I know about the mock emails and crooked redneck tactics folks attempted to pull on Rang. The homerism here is sickening and so 1970-ish. After Matt Lowe left nobody else was gonna be accepted, point blank period. Nobody who isn't a homer will ever be accepted here. IMO the Powell fanbase has gotten what they deserve. And this is coming from a Powell resident who is dreadfully looking at sending my son to that clownshow of a program in a couple of years.

Couldnt agree more plus add to that the administration aspect it is going to be hard to find a coach to stay.

Here's your chance. MOVE now, or transfer your son, Act quick while you still now everything!

I have no idea what you are talking about :loco:.

I've been closely tied to the program for 3 years since my son has played there and have never heard any of the antics you refer to.

Please expand on what you are referring to regarding Rang because I never heard anything negative about his hiring other than confusion that Hawkins didn't get it and why someone was hired that didn't have head coaching experience. Rang was accepted by every parent I spoke to. Yes, he was immature at times dealing with the touchdown club, but so what. He was a good coach and I never heard any complaints and definitely nothing about mock emails - do tell...

If you are referring to people having wanted Hawkins to be hired as homerism, then consider me a homer. Hawkins would have been a great head coach and a logical choice to replace Lowe and definitely to replace Rang. He had been with the program for a long time and was well respected by the kids, the coaches and definitely the fans.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on what you are referring to, but its doubtful since I routinely speak with many of the parents.

I find it funny that you think that the reason Kilgore left is because of the fans and the so called brats on the team. That has got to be the most ridiculous post I've seen in a while and way off base. He got blasted in his review and left for a perceived greener pasture because he has personal ties to Karns in the principal and AD and expects the AD position to open up soon. I'm also sure the fact that Powell is losing even more talent this year played into his departure as well. If he left as you say because of the fans and the brats, then he has no business being in coaching because that exists everywhere you go.

Powell certainly has their fair share of crazy parents / fans, but that is the exception, not the norm. I don't believe it is any worse than any other public school program.

As far as getting what we deserve, I sincerely hope your son doesn't have to endure 4 head coaches during his high school. Nobody "deserves" that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
There are rumors that Seymour (off cordinator) and Kidd (QB coach) are leaving to join Lowe at King's Academy. When this is all said and done, Smith (d line), Neely (o line) and Charles (rb) may be the only ones left.

What a cluster. Sure wish we had moved to Maryville when we were considering it :p

Last edited:
When this job opened up, I was kinda worried it mite affect the Central Coaching search. But after reading all these comments, I guess it probably wont:). I have been told that Central will have a coach by Friday at the latest, tho I think by Wednesday. Who are some ppl yall are hearing regarding Powell's next coach?

When this job opened up, I was kinda worried it mite affect the Central Coaching search. But after reading all these comments, I guess it probably wont:). I have been told that Central will have a coach by Friday at the latest, tho I think by Wednesday. Who are some ppl yall are hearing regarding Powell's next coach?

I haven't heard any candidates yet. There has been a lot of buzz about bringing back Hawkins (def coordinator from 2012) who really should have been given a shot.

The new AD has said he wants a disciplinarian and someone who is focused on academics. I guess time will only tell.

It's really sad for the kids to have to go through this again for the 3rd year in a row. Hopefully we'll get a good hire that will stick for a long time.

I haven't heard any candidates yet. There has been a lot of buzz about bringing back Hawkins (def coordinator from 2012) who really should have been given a shot.

The new AD has said he wants a disciplinarian and someone who is focused on academics. I guess time will only tell.

It's really sad for the kids to have to go through this again for the 3rd year in a row. Hopefully we'll get a good hire that will stick for a long time.

I am not opposed to a strong focus on discipline and academics, but given the AD has only been at Powell one year and couldn't even manage to handle parents on the field after the home games the thought of him making a hiring decision gives me instant diarrhea.

I am not opposed to a strong focus on discipline and academics, but given the AD has only been at Powell one year and couldn't even manage to handle parents on the field after the home games the thought of him making a hiring decision gives me instant diarrhea.
I honestly don't know... I was not impressed with our previous AD, so I'm hoping for the best with this one.

There is a lot of competition out there this year - Carter, Central, etc. Both of those teams are in better shape than Powell in terms of returning players. Whoever comes in is going to have their hands full. There is a lot of turmoil to overcome (TD club fiasco), low on talent, probably the majority of previous coaches gone, etc. I expect it will be almost a completely new staff which means new schemes most likely on O and D. Combine that with only 1 starter on D returning and 5 offensive starters returning (all o-line), and it's going to be a difficult job for sure.

I'm hoping for the best though!

I honestly don't know... I was not impressed with our previous AD, so I'm hoping for the best with this one.

There is a lot of competition out there this year - Carter, Central, etc. Both of those teams are in better shape than Powell in terms of returning players. Whoever comes in is going to have their hands full. There is a lot of turmoil to overcome (TD club fiasco), low on talent, probably the majority of previous coaches gone, etc. I expect it will be almost a completely new staff which means new schemes most likely on O and D. Combine that with only 1 starter on D returning and 5 offensive starters returning (all o-line), and it's going to be a difficult job for sure.
I'm hoping for the best though!
There is talent on this team, it was just sidelined by older talent on the field last year (understandably). But I agree with you, uphill battle for our kids and the program in terms of staff. Also agree about the previous AD, who ironically, came from Karns. is the one who bypassed 20+ year veteran and defensive guru David Hawkins and Seymour to hire someone with a shallow resume at best. This AD is now at an elementary school and I'd say that's more his speed. We'll get our Butch Jones eventually.

RIP. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

For those of you that don't know, Richrollin died in a car wreck yesterday and left behind 3 young children. One of his is in class with my youngest. There is a link on volnation to support his family. Please keep his family in your prayers and support them if you can.

RIP. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

For those of you that don't know, Richrollin died in a car wreck yesterday and left behind 3 young children. One of his is in class with my youngest. There is a link on volnation to support his family. Please keep his family in your prayers and support them if you can.

Very sad. Going to miss that guy. I know we get at each other at times on here but this kind of makes it real. RIP RichRollin

With the Carter and Bearden jobs comming open, the market for coaches around here is about to get intense.

Powell coach is named. John Allen from Chattanooga Central. Also was head coach at Bradley and Silverdale. Has 14 years of head coaching experience.

Anyone know much about him? Overall record is 75-74. What offense / defense does he run?

Home Page

Wing-T offense. He says that is what Powell will run.
I had heard rumors, but wasn't 100% sure until just recently. I know of 1 good player that is probably gone as a result of running the Wing T. I hate to see us change as we've had a lot of success running the spread and many of our youth teams had been running it (at least middle school age).

I guess it was inevitable with all of the HC changes. Hopefully we'll change our defense too :)

I'm sure Seymour will leave now and join Lowe as per the rumors...

I agree with keeping the spread. I was pretty sure Seymour was not going to leave, before this hire that is. I know he really does not want to make that drive from Gibbs to Kings Academy every day and don't forget that his wife is also a teacher at Powell.

VN Store

Back