Kiffin just pissed off all of Alabama

31 passes with Hurts is at least 10 too many. Bama fans are going to hate Sark

You think Bama should have only thrown the ball 20 times? There were two or three bootlegs where he should have run it but wound up throwing it away. And of course he had three huge drops. Take out the throwaways and add in the drops, and if he goes 16 of 28 for 170ish, I'm pretty good with that.

You think Bama should have only thrown the ball 20 times? There were two or three bootlegs where he should have run it but wound up throwing it away. And of course he had three huge drops. Take out the throwaways and add in the drops, and if he goes 16 of 28 for 170ish, I'm pretty good with that.

It was about as dumb as this coaching staff asking Dobbs to throw it 30+ times a game. Hurts will be holding the clipboard for Tua

Last edited:
It was about as dumb as this coaching staff asking Dobbs to throw it 30+ times a game. Hurts will be holding the clipboard to Tua

He very well might.

In general, I thought the playcalling was okay last nite. Execution was not. Sark did better with 8 days to prepare than Kiffin did with a month. Kiffin wasn't horrible this entire year, and if he'd been focused on Bama then I think both playoff games would have been different. But he was garbage against Washington, and I think switching to Sark was the only choice that could be made when none of the options were terribly good.

Definitely don't think talent was the issue. Losing Bo hurt and Hurts can't throw it downfield well. Bama couldn't eat the clock like they wanted or put the nail in the coffin when they had a 10 point lead.

Shirley you aren't suggesting that having a qb who can't throw the ball down the field consistently bogs an offense down even on a team with as much talent as Bama??

Hurts this season had the mental capacity to check one receiver and done. He was not asked to go through progressions, granted he looked off as part of the play as coached, recognizing complexity of defenses and adjusting, basically when a pass play was called, he looked to one receiver and if open fired away. Will he get better over time? Yes. Is he behind in this area of the passing game most any other celebrated freshman QB starting in a power 5? Yes. Think Eason at UGA as compared to one look Hurts at Bama, lLght years of difference between the two in that phase of the game IMO. Can Hurts overcome it? Time will tell.

Think Eason at UGA as compared to one look Hurts at Bama, lLght years of difference between the two in that phase of the game IMO. Can Hurts overcome it? Time will tell.

I'm not sure this is the best example you could have come up with.

Completion %
Eason 55.1
Hurts 62.8

TD-Int
Eason 16-8
Hurts 23-9

YPG
Eason 186.9
Hurts 185.3

YPA
Eason 6.6
Hurts 7.3

QB Rating
Eason 120.26
Hurts 139.12

"Light years" of difference?

I'm not sure this is the best example you could have come up with.

Completion %
Eason 55.1
Hurts 62.8

TD-Int
Eason 16-8
Hurts 23-9

YPG
Eason 186.9
Hurts 185.3

YPA
Eason 6.6
Hurts 7.3

QB Rating
Eason 120.26
Hurts 139.12

"Light years" of difference?

There are light years of difference between their skill at reading defenses. I'm not sure that is going to be borne out in stats because Hurts and Eason's teams run completely different offenses.

On passing plays, Hurts was really only asked to read one side of the field and they ran lots of 2-man routes.

Eason, on the other hand, was running a pro-style offense and appeared to be tasked with reading the whole field pretty routinely.

They both (especially Hurts) at this stage in their college careers aren't the most accurate passers, but they will get better. I'm not really sure of a good comparison for Hurts, but Eason looks well on his way to being a Matthew Stafford clone.

I think they'll both be Heisman contenders next year and especially in 2018.

all season i have seen alabama destroy inferior opponents, including tennessee. They have looked like a different talent on the field and on a level that nobody else could reach for years. Lately it has seemed that nobody could field a team that could compete with alabama for 60 minutes. Tonight i truly saw them meet a superior team in clemson. While alabama took the first half, clemson controlled alabama the entire second half. Alabama's defense could not stop clemson's offense, and clemson's defense suffocated alabama's offense. It was a great game.

truth

There are light years of difference between their skill at reading defenses. I'm not sure that is going to be borne out in stats because Hurts and Eason's teams run completely different offenses.

Without getting into the weeds on what it takes to run different systems, if one is going to argue that Eason is better at reading defenses, is he just markedly worse as a passer than Hurts, who is not all that accurate himself? Or does he see the field really well, but UGA receivers just suck at getting open so Eason is seeing a field full of his opponents' jerseys? I realize that it's a "chicken-or-the-egg" kind of question, but if one is going to state that Eason is better at reading the field and going thru his progressions, why isn't he completing more passes for more yards and more scores?

He very well might.

In general, I thought the playcalling was okay last nite. Execution was not. Sark did better with 8 days to prepare than Kiffin did with a month. Kiffin wasn't horrible this entire year, and if he'd been focused on Bama then I think both playoff games would have been different. But he was garbage against Washington, and I think switching to Sark was the only choice that could be made when none of the options were terribly good.

I thought the play calling for you guys was much better last night than the Washington game. That WR pass was a solid call on that last drive.

Without getting into the weeds on what it takes to run different systems, if one is going to argue that Eason is better at reading defenses, is he just markedly worse as a passer than Hurts, who is not all that accurate himself? Or does he see the field really well, but UGA receivers just suck at getting open so Eason is seeing a field full of his opponents' jerseys? I realize that it's a "chicken-or-the-egg" kind of question, but if one is going to state that Eason is better at reading the field and going thru his progressions, why isn't he completing more passes for more yards and more scores?

I think that Eason is a much better field-reader than Hurts is, but at the same time Eason was actually asked to read a lot of the field and make a bunch of throws. Hurts was not. They ran two different systems and were asked to do different things within those systems, hence the difficulty in comparing them just via numbers.

I also think that at this stage, neither one of them are particularly accurate passers, so it makes sense that Eason would have a lower completion percentage and a higher INT percentage than Hurts since he's being asked to make more throws than Hurts is.

No matter what, Kiffin will always say they lost because he wasn't there and Saban will always be thought of making a bad move. Kiffy comes out smelling like a rose here.

No matter what, Kiffin will always say they lost because he wasn't there and Saban will always be thought of making a bad move. Kiffy comes out smelling like a rose here.

Anyone who watched the two bowl games cannot possibly conclude that Saban made the wrong decision. The gameplan that Bama rolled out against UW might generously score 14 points against Clemson.

I'm in the minority but I think we are close. Solely my opinion but I do. We are close to breaking through IMO.

Talent wise, this team is close. It's the staff that leaves me feeling uneasy. Game management, game preparation, half time adjustments, personnel @ certain positions, etc, etc.

Talent wise, this team is close. It's the staff that leaves me feeling uneasy. Game management, game preparation, half time adjustments, personnel @ certain positions, etc, etc.

Correct on talent. Clemson's overall offensive talent is not that much greater than ours.

They score 35, we score 10 against Bama.

I think Eason, at this point, is overrated. He has a howitzer for an arm and a good release, but I thought it was obvious he was limited reading defenses, as a True Freshman should be. I think Hurts was better for Bama than Eason was for Georgia. Eason came in with all the hype and Hurts had all the hype at the end of the season. We will see how they develop.:good!:

Oakland- ugly breakup
Tennessee- ugly breakup
usc-ugly breakup
Alabama-ugly breakup

Kiffin is a bad breaker upper. Anyone should have seen that before now. It never ends good with him.

Reactions: 1 person
Correct on talent. Clemson's overall offensive talent is not that much greater than ours.

They score 35, we score 10 against Bama.

Clemson did a much better job giving their QB time, Clemson had confidence in playing bama, Tennessee, with all their injuries and drama, didn't.

VN Store

Back