Key to Season = Beat Florida

I might have just logged back off and never returned if I knew what was coming the next 8 years.:thud:

Honestly, I thought this was a new thread until I got to the post that said UF was over-rated and that we don't know how good of a full-time QB Tebow would be. :loco:

Same sh&t, different year. Just change the names.

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly, I thought this was a new thread until I got to the post that said UF was over-rated and that we don't know how good of a full-time QB Tebow would be. :loco:

Same sh&t, different year. Just change the names.

I was going to make a similar comment, but decided to wait and see if anyone would make a comment thinking it was a new thread.

The post infers that a win over Florida causes our season to be great. There is another way to look at it--our great teams (11 game winners) consistently beat Florida, while our lesser teams (7.5 game winners) pretty consistently lose. If that is the case, the Florida game is the measure of a good UT team, not the reason for it.

I'm not exactly arguing against your point. I think it is very likely that the better UT teams, inspired by winning what is always the biggest game of the season, use the win as a stepping stone, while lesser teams, somewhat demoralized by the loss, stay lesser. But I do think that playing UF is more of an identifier of superiority than a cause.

No matter what, I will always be a fan

Don't forget about '95....We lost 62-37 but still went 11-1 and finished 2nd and 3rd in the polls.....Florida is replacing 9 starters on defense and should be vulnerable to the run....We have a chance but Georgia is just as big and for some inexcusable reason we haven't beaten UGA at home since '99....
I remember we had a 30-14 lead in that game. We were dominating until the rain started. Jay starting turning the ball over like it was going out of style.

We have to beat Florida this year. We have more talent and depth plus they are breaking in a brand new coaching staff. The streak must end this year

Reactions: 1 person
Beating Florida is a must, the Vol's are 5-19 against the Gators since 1990, enough said....beat the hell out of Florida! I'm done.

We have to beat Florida this year. We have more talent and depth plus they are breaking in a brand new coaching staff. The streak must end this year

I wouldn't go so far as to say we have more talent than Florida, I'd say we should have as much talent as Florida, however

I was going to make a similar comment, but decided to wait and see if anyone would make a comment thinking it was a new thread.

Yep, I was trying to decipher what I thought was a new thread, and just decided to agree with the summary -- "We must beat Florida this year."

I'm expecting their new break-in Yr 1 staff to produce equal or better to the old, but, our Staff is 2 years SEC-fully-experienced-and-in-tact + a new, seasoned OC who beat them in his last college game (just a few yrs ago), which gives us 10 pt advantage.

I just realized -- this thread was started the season DeBord beat FL.

I remember we had a 30-14 lead in that game. We were dominating until the rain started. Jay starting turning the ball over like it was going out of style.

I was there. Most hostile atmosphere I have been in for an away game. Burned up in the first half, got a sunburn, rained like hell, froze to death in the second half. Literally had to fight with some of those flip flop, jort wearin bastages on the way out.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually, by the time the rain started we were up 48-30.
Plus the 94-97 games are the main reason I hate the Gators more than Bama. In my time as a fan we have had lots of success against Bama but very little against Florida. I will say the hatred hasn't been quite as intense sine CSS left but year in and year out no loss stings more than Florida.

This is a really fun question, EricVol, as well as a blast from the past for you (necro thread indeed!).

Is the annual Florida game the bellweather for Tennessee? I think so. Your stats for 1998-2014 are pretty solid proof of the congruence. And since Florida is always an early game, a September game, it is well positioned to play the bellweather role.

So I like it! Thanks for resurrecting the thread; I'd never seen it before (obviously; Im a noob here). :)

I'm not really sure the sample size is large enough to have any statistical relevance

I'm going to keep saying it until I'm proven one way or the other.

This is the year that horrid streak ends as we drain that nasty swamp and get the big WIN over the gators!

UT...27
UF...17

TENNESSEE WINS!!!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

If we lose to Florida this year (2015), I think that's all the proof we will need that Jones and Co are Gruden-awesome Sunday to Friday but are lost as last year's Easter Egg on Saturday.

I know it's in Gainsville, but everything else is in our favor this year. This is a must-win game for Butch. We absolutely cannot fall over again. Dale Carter 2 Electric Boogaloo epic.

Reactions: 4 people
Both teams do have equal talent now. Where Tennessee has the edge is on offense. The only place on the offensive side of the ball where Florida may be better is on the OL. The Vols are better at every other position. A proven QB, Very deep and talented WR corps, and two very talented RB's. Tennessee has a huge edge in the running game this year between Kamara, Hurd, and Dobbs. The Gators need to overhaul their offense, and that doesn't happen overnight....particularly if you don't have any skill players that would even scare Kentucky.

If we lose to Florida this year (2015), I think that's all the proof we will need that Jones and Co are Gruden-awesome Sunday to Friday but are lost as last year's Easter Egg on Saturday.

I know it's in Gainsville, but everything else is in our favor this year. This is a must-win game for Butch. We absolutely cannot fall over again. Dale Carter 2 Electric Boogaloo epic.

Didn't Vandy beat them at the swamp 2 years ago? There's NO excuse to lose to this coming year's florida team in Butch's 3rd season.

Didn't Vandy beat them at the swamp 2 years ago? There's NO excuse to lose to this coming year's florida team in Butch's 3rd season.

Exactly. Last year we had everything in our favor going into that game. Florida, behind an epicly awful performance from their starting QB (59 yds and 3 ints), did everything they possibly could to say "here you go guys, here's the game, you can end the streak"...but our coaches and players pretty much said, "nah, no thanks, you keep it"...and then Florida pretty much did what Florida always does vs Tennessee which is punk and embarrass us no matter what.

As a UT fan this game always hurts to watch. After the game I always wish there was something I could have done to help end the suffering and pain so many Vol fans have felt over the past 10 years. But I'm just a regular Joe, I'm not some 345 pound wrecking ball that can take the last 10 years of Vol's pain and unleash it on the field for 60 minutes...but Kahlil Mckenzie is. And may God have mercy on the people that get in his way during this game. Reminds me of Loki and Tony Stark's convo "I have a 10 year winning streak" "We have a Kahlil"

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not really sure the sample size is large enough to have any statistical relevance

Given the track record of this series, (and being a Vol fan) it absolutely does and is the only reason UT hasnt swept UF the last 25 years.:good!:

VN Store

Back