Key to Season = Beat Florida

It is hard to argue the history of the importance of this matchup. We may conlcude that the context has changed due to Georgia and South Carolina's rise from mediocrity, the fact still remains: If we don't beat Florida we cannot count on Richt doing it for us. Spurrier is another story, but...that still leaves the Gators with only one loss.

If you want something done right, you better do it yourself.

Ain't that the truth!! :ermm:

It is hard to argue the history of the importance of this matchup. We may conlcude that the context has changed due to Georgia and South Carolina's rise from mediocrity, the fact still remains: If we don't beat Florida we cannot count on Richt doing it for us. Spurrier is another story, but...that still leaves the Gators with only one loss.

The best analysis of the east I've seen, guy you outta be on gameday. :salute:

This is the perfect time to beat Florida. They only have 9 starters returning, and we have Ainge, Foster and Coker, and this is Cut's second year working with Ainge.

Not true. During Florida's period of protracted dominance over Tennessee from 96 or whenever through 2001 (and later probably), Tennessee had a by-week before Florida. Phil always took two whole weeks to prepare for that game. Florida did not take a week off. Spurrier used to say that part of Florida's formula for success was being loose and easy about the game, while Tennessee always seemed wound too tight... which I suppose is possible if the Vols had always just spent two whole weeks preparing for the OMG BIGGEST GAME EVAR!!!!!1!!

At any rate, you guys have your history mixed up.

That's just flat wrong.......Florida's "protracted dominance" over Tennessee was between '93-'97....since '98 the series has been relatively even ( Florida has a 5-4 edge but every game Florida has won since '99 has been decided by four points or less except '02 and '05) )....Between '92 and '96 Tennessee always played Georgia the week prior to Florida and in '97 played at UCLA the week before the Florida game.

This is the perfect time to beat Florida. They only have 9 starters returning, and we have Ainge, Foster and Coker, and this is Cut's second year working with Ainge.

I don't know if I'd call it "perfect" so much as "last best chance for awhile." Lose this one and it could be another couple of years, or longer, before you have a realistic shot.

I don't know if I'd call it "perfect" so much as "last best chance for awhile." Lose this one and it could be another couple of years, or longer, before you have a realistic shot.

Right, because Meyer's recruiting was so superior to Tennessee's classes the last three years that we would have no chance at home in '08 with Crompton at QB and a veteran defense. :no:

That's just flat wrong.......Florida's "protracted dominance" over Tennessee was between '93-'97....since '98 the series has been relatively even ( Florida has a 5-4 edge but every game Florida has won since '99 has been decided by four points or less except '02 and '05) )....Between '92 and '96 Tennessee always played Georgia the week prior to Florida and in '97 played at UCLA the week before the Florida game.

So, there were only a few seasons with the by-week before Florida? My bad. They were the ones I was paying attention to, so it just seemed like a long time.

I did some checking in my media guide and an interesting point became apparent. In years where we beat Florida we have been very good to great.
In seasons when we don't, the season is medocre to barely good at best.

In one look at the last 10 years, 1997 was an exception where we lost to florida, but still won the SEC and had 11 wins.
The nine years since then we are 4-5 against Florida with an average of 11 wins (13-11-10-10) during the years we beat Florida with an SEC championship (and more) in 98 and East championships in the other three years (3-way tie in 2003).

In contrast the other five years we only averaged 7.5 wins per season.

We must beat Florida this year (and for good measure go unbeaten at home
as we normally should). Do this and we will almost certainly be in
Atlanta on Dec 1.

Go Vols!:rock::dance2::dance:

Any thoughts?

The post infers that a win over Florida causes our season to be great. There is another way to look at it--our great teams (11 game winners) consistently beat Florida, while our lesser teams (7.5 game winners) pretty consistently lose. If that is the case, the Florida game is the measure of a good UT team, not the reason for it.

I'm not exactly arguing against your point. I think it is very likely that the better UT teams, inspired by winning what is always the biggest game of the season, use the win as a stepping stone, while lesser teams, somewhat demoralized by the loss, stay lesser. But I do think that playing UF is more of an identifier of superiority than a cause.

That is exactly correct.

We'll see.....but I think that is a gimmick offense that Meyer is running and the level of talent amassed between our classes in '05 and '07 is pretty equal (though we have lost Morley and R. Henderson)

That was a slow softball pitch. You're lucky.

It really was almost unfair, wasn't it?

We'll see.....but I think that is a gimmick offense that Meyer is running and the level of talent amassed between our classes in '05 and '07 is pretty equal (though we have lost Morley and R. Henderson)

UT has recruited well, though not quite at UF's level and, more importantly, UF has the depth at the critical line positions. That's where the money is. If our guys can stay out of jail and keep to the schedule with their probation officers, all should be well in Hogtown.

I'm gonna remember this post and come back to it in 08, just giving early and fair warning LG.

simply not true. i think it's the contrary actually. i expect FL and TN and GA to all be pretty competitive with each other over the next few years.....i don't see any one of the three dominating the other in the near future.

i'm not one to think Fl is going to be so woefully undertalented on D this year and i do agree with you that the offense this year will be much improved over last.

but, it's not like we will be feilding a AA team over the next 2-3 years or the forseeable future.

i do think we need to win this year just so we can get back in to the mindset that "yeah, we can beat them".

let's not forget the talent rated at TN this past year was right behind you guys........i think both teams are probably going to be loaded for bear for the next few years.

I did some checking in my media guide and an interesting point became apparent. In years where we beat Florida we have been very good to great.
In seasons when we don't, the season is medocre to barely good at best.

In one look at the last 10 years, 1997 was an exception where we lost to florida, but still won the SEC and had 11 wins.
The nine years since then we are 4-5 against Florida with an average of 11 wins (13-11-10-10) during the years we beat Florida with an SEC championship (and more) in 98 and East championships in the other three years (3-way tie in 2003).

In contrast the other five years we only averaged 7.5 wins per season.

We must beat Florida this year (and for good measure go unbeaten at home
as we normally should). Do this and we will almost certainly be in
Atlanta on Dec 1.

Go Vols!:rock::dance2::dance:

Any thoughts?

This was my first thread in my existence on Volnation and man if it doesn't still hit home.

Look at those stats in every year since 1998 that we have beat UF our average number of wins is 11.

In all the years that we haven't beat UF our average number of wins is 6.5.

If we beat the Gators this year in the swamp we go 11-2! Go Vols, end the streak!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Wow, good job. That gives us more and better insight into the disaster that is the annual Florida game. I agree 1000% that the Florida game can set the tone for an outstanding season should we win it. Lose it again though, and I think there's virtually no way we exceed expectations in 2015.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a really fun question, EricVol, as well as a blast from the past for you (necro thread indeed!).

Is the annual Florida game the bellweather for Tennessee? I think so. Your stats for 1998-2014 are pretty solid proof of the congruence. And since Florida is always an early game, a September game, it is well positioned to play the bellweather role.

So I like it! Thanks for resurrecting the thread; I'd never seen it before (obviously; Im a noob here). :)

I think it speaks to the quality of UF and UT's mind set toward UF.

In order for UT to beat UF they have better talent than UF. UT does not fluke a win vs UF, but UF can fluke a win vs UT.

Most years...having more talent than UF means you will be a very good football team and a good season will follow.

This is my favorite

VN Store

Back