Kentucky make a run at Pearl?

The only thing Kentucky offers that Florida doesn't is that it's a true basketball school...his program would never be overshadowed by the football team at Kentucky...Donovan has been ultra successful, and he's had great support from Florida fans, but he would have the spotlight year round in Lexington.

If you want to be the king of college basketball coaches you have to be hc at KY, UNC, Duke or Michigan. It's a rule. Look it up.

Please remove Michigan from this list. Coaches at Michigan are kings only in their own minds. That is a loser position - has been, will be.

As for the Pearl leaving talk. Not gonna happen. Not for a minimum of three years at least.

I'll say Saban leaves Bamer before Pearl leaves UT - on his own.

Like Tennessee, Florida is known as a football school. I have heard several in the media this year comment on the Gators lack of fan support in the tourney thus far. At Kentucky, Donovan would be THE man on campus with much more fan support. It's an ego thing, and all coaches have them.

Is Billy D happy with the administration as far as you know?

I've heard nothing but positives from one to the other for the past 7 years. He's been there awhile and the team is obviously the best it has ever been. They give him plenty of dough and support in facilities and what not. No tension I am aware of.

The only thing Kentucky offers that Florida doesn't is that it's a true basketball school...his program would never be overshadowed by the football team at Kentucky...Donovan has been ultra successful, and he's had great support from Florida fans, but he would have the spotlight year round in Lexington.

This is all true, but I'm just not sure that matters to him. I think he likes recruiting and coaching. He actually, to me, seems uncomfortable with the interviews and stuff. I just think he is ultracompetitive and likes to win and so he would only go to a place that gives him a chance to do that in a way that is substnaitally different than what he has now.

And that means ...

If Donovan goes anywhere it's to the NBA.

:yes:

I doubt that. In an article on the MSN homepage yesterday talking about Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky, Pearl's name wasn't mentioned. Here are the ones that are listed directly from the MSN article itself.

Kentucky will go after a big-name coach. Florida's Billy Donovan will certainly be pursued, but other guys who will be mentioned for one of the most attractive jobs in America are Villanova's Jay Wright, Marquette's Tom Crean, Memphis' John Calipari, Texas' Rick Barnes, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie and Ohio State's Thad Matta.

Kentucky is looking for a A Ruff. Sorry they don't
make em nowdays. And Bruce Pearl has found the end of the rainbow.

UK could get the ear of almost any coach. But I think they are going to run into a similar situation that Bama did. They think they're kings of the world because of their tradition but that doesn't matter as much anymore because many coaches like the new upcoming programs (ie, UF, UT, tOSU, etc...). Indiana ran into that and they were supposed to be one of the top 5 jobs????

I don't see Donovan or Pearl leaving. I've heard the same thing from UK fans that they want Donovan then Matta, etc...

They'll get a coach but I doubt it'll be a blockbuster coach. Possibly someone like the Gonzaga or Marq. coach.

Why wouldn't calipari go to UK? How much better is it ever going to get at UM? Plus, you have to live in Memphis, or thereabouts.

Why wouldn't calipari go to UK? How much better is it ever going to get at UM? Plus, you have to live in Memphis, or thereabouts.

I guess Cal would be a good fit for them (shades of Pitino), but I just think Gillespie would be a better long-term investment.

You'll have to excuse me. I'm laughing hysterically at the concept of someone who lives in the general vicinity of Trashville ripping another city.

The only knock I have heard on Calipari vis a vis the KY jobs the recruiting violations at UMass. Apparently, KY wants a proven national title winner who can recruit like a demon, and who has a squeaky clean image.

The only knock I have heard on Calipari vis a vis the KY jobs the recruiting violations at UMass. Apparently, KY wants a proven national title winner who can recruit like a demon, and who has a squeaky clean image.

Eddie Sutton isn't doing anything.

Please document said recruiting violations. Oh, that's right, you can't because they don't exist.

Please document said recruiting violations. Oh, that's right, you can't because they don't exist.
Just becasue VH can't document it doesn't mean it's not true. I doubt you can document your accusations of Tyler Smith.

I probably should have said that the perception that he committed violations at UMass has clung to him, fairly or not, and many programs don't want to be associated with that perception because of the unwanted scruitiny it might bring. I certainly don't want to accuse someone of doing something that I have no proof of. I just assumed people knew what I was referring to since the story has been out there for so long.

Just becasue VH can't document it doesn't mean it's not true. I doubt you can document your accusations of Tyler Smith.
Let's compare the two situations. At UMASS, an NCAA investigation conducted in the wake of the Marcus Camby situation gave John a completely clean bill of ethical health. At UT, an internal investigation was conducted and the head coach and assistant who recruited Tyler Smith were both fired. I'll let that speak for itself.

VN Store

Back