Kentucky make a run at Pearl?

Tubby coached the georgia bulldogs from 95 to 97. While there, he led the team to 2 strait 20+ game seasons, and a sweet 16 appearance. He coached under Patino before the 95 season at Kentucky, alongside B. Dunovan. Pearl has absolutely no connection whatsoever with Kentucky and will not be the wildcats next coach.

They are on LSD.:pepper:

I doubt that. In an article on the MSN homepage yesterday talking about Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky, Pearl's name wasn't mentioned. Here are the ones that are listed directly from the MSN article itself.

Kentucky will go after a big-name coach. Florida's Billy Donovan will certainly be pursued, but other guys who will be mentioned for one of the most attractive jobs in America are Villanova's Jay Wright, Marquette's Tom Crean, Memphis' John Calipari, Texas' Rick Barnes, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie and Ohio State's Thad Matta.

Tubby coached the georgia bulldogs from 95 to 97. While there, he led the team to 2 strait 20+ game seasons, and a sweet 16 appearance. He coached under Patino before the 95 season at Kentucky, alongside B. Dunovan. Pearl has absolutely no connection whatsoever with Kentucky and will not be the wildcats next coach.

:eek:k: Very true I was going to post that next

Good point and right on the money. It wasn't coaching that was KY's problem, it was lack of talent and an ultra-competitive league. Gone are the days of 'ownership' in super conferences. Programs like Alabama football and UK basketball are having a very difficult time grasping this. They will do everything it takes money wise in an effort to get these programs back to prominence at the expense of the rest of their pathetic sports programs. Let them suffer.

If you want to be the king of college basketball coaches you have to be hc at KY, UNC, Duke or Michigan. It's a rule. Look it up.

I would put Michigan St. ahead of Michigan. KY, UNC, Duke, Indiana, UCLA would be the big jobs IMO

I agree - Michigan definitely doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the Elite national programs in basketball. I would add Kansas to the list, though.

Pearl going to Kentucky is like saying Fulmer is going to Georgia. TN has a history of keeping its coaches around.

Pearl going to Kentucky is like saying Fulmer is going to Georgia. TN has a history of keeping its coaches around.
There's a key difference there. UK would be interested in Pearl. UGA would laugh at the prospect of hiring Haystacks.

According to Sports Animal...Kentucky's Top Three are:

1. Billy Donovan
2. Billy Gillespie
3. John Calipari

I don't really see any of those except maybe Gillespie. If I was Mitch Barnhardt, I would be looking at:

4. Chris Lowery (So. Illinois)
5. Seth Greenburg (VA Tech)
6. Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss)
7. Ernie Davis (Oregon)
8. Ronnie Arrow (TAMU-CC)
9. Todd Lickliter (Butler)
10. Travis Ford (UMass)

Assistants that probably won't get a look, but should be on somebody's hiring list:
11. Tony Jones (Tennessee)
12. Kerry Keating (UCLA)

ESPN reporting Mark Few (sp)?

1. Billy Donovan

2. Billy Gillespie
3. John Calipari

I don't really see any of those except maybe Gillespie. If I was Mitch Barnhardt, I would be looking at:

7. Ernie Davis (Oregon)
10. Travis Ford (UMass)

Assistants that probably won't get a look, but should be on somebody's hiring list:
12. Kerry Keating (UCLA)
Ronnie Arrow is about a thousand years old and had a mediocre run at South Alabama. There's a better chance that UK would hire Fulton High School coach Jody Wright.

Its time for Mike Hamilton to step up and pay Pearl what he is worth to this program, which is more than 1.1 million. Hamilton has to come at Pearl with more money before Kentucky, or some other school, comes at him with more money. I think Pearl has done more than enough the last 2 years to show that he is worth more than what he is getting paid. If Fulmer is worth 2.2 million and embarrasses us at Outback Bowls (in a "good" year), then Pearl taking us to the Sweet 16 in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year deserves a raise.

If I was Kentucky I would go after Mark Few at Gonzaga. He has done a remarkable job at a school that simply shouldn't be succeeding, and is making next to nothing, compared to other NCAA coaches. I think he is exactly what Kentucky needs.

1. Billy Donovan
2. Billy Gillespie
3. John Calipari

7. Ernie Davis (Oregon)
10. Travis Ford (UMass)

12. Kerry Keating (UCLA)

I don't claim to have inside info or anything. This is just coming from UK fans in the area. I live in Jacksboro, TN (yeah, I know - you've never heard of it) - but it's north of Knoxville on I-75 toward not too far from the KY border. I get to hear alot of "I like Tennessee in football, but I like Kentucky in basketball." Like I say, this is just what the UK fans I'm hearing are saying. I'm hearing alot of talk about Gillispie (TX A&M), and two people not included on this list - Crean (Marquette) & Few (Gonzaga). Few has had job offers in the past and hasn't wanted to leave Gonzaga, but I wonder if the Kentucky job was offered to him - would it be too much to pass up?

the list of candidates is going to continue to grow everyday until Kentucky hires somebody...

I've now heard Donovan, Izzo, Calipari, Lickliter, Gillespie, Riley, Pearl, Hatvol, Few, Crean...the list goes on and on...If I had to make a bet, I'd wager on Donovan or Calipari.

I still can't see how Donovan would make sense. He is in a top SEC program now and all he would be doing is moving laterally to another top program in the same conference. With these guys (Noah, Horford, etc.) leaving, I can totally see him saying its time to go, but it would be to the NBA (probably the Knicks) IMO.

One name that hasn't been mentioned that Kentucky might want to consider, especially after Indiana beat Few's Gonzaga team in the NCAA tourney, is Kelvin Sampson's right-hand man, Jerry Green. :)

the list of candidates is going to continue to grow everyday until Kentucky hires somebody...

I've now heard Donovan, Izzo, Calipari, Lickliter, Gillespie, Riley, Pearl, Hatvol, Few, Crean...the list goes on and on...If I had to make a bet, I'd wager on Donovan or Calipari.

:eek:lol:

I like how you threw that in there...

Its time for Mike Hamilton to step up and pay Pearl what he is worth to this program, which is more than 1.1 million. Hamilton has to come at Pearl with more money before Kentucky, or some other school, comes at him with more money. I think Pearl has done more than enough the last 2 years to show that he is worth more than what he is getting paid. If Fulmer is worth 2.2 million and embarrasses us at Outback Bowls (in a "good" year), then Pearl taking us to the Sweet 16 in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year deserves a raise.

If I was Kentucky I would go after Mark Few at Gonzaga. He has done a remarkable job at a school that simply shouldn't be succeeding, and is making next to nothing, compared to other NCAA coaches. I think he is exactly what Kentucky needs.

Can you imagine coaching a sport you love for 1.1 million or better yet 2.2 million? Must be nice.

I said nothing about pressure. Of course there is pressure. You dont think 1.1 million dollars is a good coaching salary. What about the players in the NBA that get 60 million for 5 years, think that is good enough money? Players are way overpaid. My point was 1.1 million for coaching isnt to shabby !

Amen to that, everyone has pressure in there own life, but we dont all make that kind of money. There are plenty of Div II and III coaches that make 50k per year.

Don't kid yourself. The pressures are nonstop.

That's why I wouldn't see Donovan leaving Florida for the UK job. All UK has over UF right now is history. And it's all about the present, baby! Right now Florida is the dominant team (even though I hate to admit it) in the SEC. Donovan has already won a national championship down there, and his team one of the twelve teams still alive competing for this year's crown. Tubby had a good record at UK, including going to the Sweet Sixteen most years, but it just wasn't enough for the UK fans. To me, Donovan has it made in Florida right now, and right now, I'm wouldn't even say that Kentucky is a better job than Florida.

I still can't see how Donovan would make sense. He is in a top SEC program now and all he would be doing is moving laterally to another top program in the same conference. With these guys (Noah, Horford, etc.) leaving, I can totally see him saying its time to go, but it would be to the NBA (probably the Knicks) IMO.

Like Tennessee, Florida is known as a football school. I have heard several in the media this year comment on the Gators lack of fan support in the tourney thus far. At Kentucky, Donovan would be THE man on campus with much more fan support. It's an ego thing, and all coaches have them.

Is Billy D happy with the administration as far as you know?

VN Store

Back