Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

How much influence do you see/think they have,,in game decisions...I have watched the sidelines enough to see,,,they are high-fivers and cheerleaders,,,not influences,,,and I have NOT seen one stand up and tal Kellie on the shoulder, leading into a called timeout
I just seen Joy talking in Kellie ear on TV
Have seen Liza talking to players.

Then cross quite a few of the bright young coaches off the list because wife/husband coaching teams are common now.

Here we go again. This is no different from limiting candidates to former LVs, or a certain gender. Why in the world would we limit ourselves over this? If the nepotism is ok w the university who the heck are we to care?

Never performance based, it's the "optics", the idea. Posters were singing a cantada to Fortier's qualifications until they found out her hubby was her assistant. Then boom, off the list. WTF? I'm so very sorry if some of ya'lls optics get insulted but for the love of God can we just hire the best coach this time?
I don't think that is a criteria like a lot of posters here seem to believe it is. I'm just playing along cause to me it is totally ridiculous to even be a problem.

Reactions: glv98
Then cross quite a few of the bright young coaches off the list because wife/husband coaching teams are common now.

Here we go again. This is no different from limiting candidates to former LVs, or a certain gender. Why in the world would we limit ourselves over this? If the nepotism is ok w the university who the heck are we to care?

Never performance based, it's the "optics", the idea. Posters were singing a cantada to Fortier's qualifications until they found out her hubby was her assistant. Then boom, off the list. WTF? I'm so very sorry if some of ya'lls optics get insulted but for the love of God can we just hire the best coach this time?
You don’t have to be a bench coach to be involved with the pay of Power 5 schools. Low D1 or lower sure, have at it. Too many options to better your staff. Help in other areas if they feel that need them.

Just read a few of her posts
Said she didn't like fans talking about player's.
Never saw her call out a specific poster or post.
Like I said never read all her posts.
Mostly seen her posts in lady Vols Facebook groups
Here's the thing, and this is true for most all Basketball parents. You are not the main character; your kid is. None of us need to know your name, so why are you chiming in with your 2 cents? No one knew who you were before your kid started playing. It's a damn bad look for mommy to jump to their rescue from the mean people online. Please have a seat, close your eyes, cover your ears and pipe down.

Here's the thing, and this is true for most all Basketball parents. You are not the main character; your kid is. None of us need to know your name, so why are you chiming in with your 2 cents? No one knew who you were before your kid started playing. It's a damn bad look for mommy to jump to their rescue from the mean people online. Please have a seat, close your eyes, cover your ears and pipe down.
Yahtzee!

In our family it's the men. Brother in law shouted instructions to sons playing basketball. He played football in HS.
Son in law does the same thing to our granddaughter(10 yo) while she's playing basketball. He played Baseball at UGA.
Neither played basketball.
And from a different perspectice:
About 55 years ago we were cutting up in class in high school, and one of the girls was being teased by one of the boys. She got pissed and said, "you better shut up or I'll tell my mother".
He was a decent guy and just left.

Reactions: knoxvol52
In our family it's the men. Brother in law shouted instructions to sons playing basketball. He played football in HS.
Son in law does the same thing to our granddaughter(10 yo) while she's playing basketball. He played Baseball at UGA.
Neither played basketball.
And from a different perspectice:
About 55 years ago we were cutting up in class in high school, and one of the girls was being teased by one of the boys. She got pissed and said, "you better shut up or I'll tell my mother".
He was a decent guy and just left.
In-person is one thing. But online is just asking for a world of disappointment.

I suppose the failure to recruit top tier recruits involves many variables to include coaching and in game decisions. My concern would be why add fuel to the fire?

Please don't dignify that poster. The sweeping charge that Kellie can't recruit is simply ignorant of the facts. Kellie has been doing just fine in the portal, which again is part of recruiting. And most are really high on Boyd and Cooper who play next season. But, her first two seasons did not bring enough talent. As I have before, the Striplin, Puckett, and Darby class needed one more blue chipper in the set to be a good one. Same for Wynn's class + more players. The real question is why has Kellie been more effective in the portal than with high school players? I feel like a lot hingers on the LVs making it back to the S16 which would demonstrate some consistency. Not getting back to the level would be a recruiting blow.

Last edited:
I'm telling you the problem now. Idc about the past. We need to deal with the present. I'm not advocating to keep CKH, just telling you the problem with HS ladies.
Hopefully this is her last go around we’ve got to have a change and after season end let it be over

Good win by the Lady Vols. I think we are close to securing a tournament spot but we still got work to do. Which brings me to a tough question.

If we make March Madness does Harper still need to go or do we wait until she makes history and miss the tournament? I say we can't wait until it gets worse. We don't want to miss the tournament any year in order to make the decision.

Under what circumstances are we optimistic about the direction of the program?

Good win by the Lady Vols. I think we are close to securing a tournament spot but we still got work to do. Which brings me to a tough question.

If we make March Madness does Harper still need to go or do we wait until she makes history and miss the tournament? I say we can't wait until it gets worse. We don't want to miss the tournament any year in order to make the decision.

Needs to go not going to move forward with this program

Genuinely curious… when’s the last time a coach finished 4th/14 and got fired for losing? That seems highly unlikely of a scenario.

She’ll be back as she should.

to me,,,it is now about the second season,,,tourney's
2 wins in the SEC
Elite 8 in the NCAA (S16 would not be a move forward with a top 5 draft pick on our roster,,,it wouldn't even be a lateral one)

Reactions: Deebowbear
Genuinely curious… when’s the last time a coach finished 4th/14 and got fired for losing? That seems highly unlikely of a scenario.

She’ll be back as she should.
Karen Aston went 19-11, 11-7 in B12 (#3) and her contract was not renewed. This is coming off 3 S16 and 1E8 performance over the previous 5 seasons. Texas went on to hire Vic.

Aston wasn't bad. Other than her first year, she never finished lower than third in the B12 and made the tournament every year except for her first year. Texas decided they weren't going anywhere with her, so despite her successful record, she was let go.

Karen Aston went 19-11, 11-7 in B12 (#3) and her contract was not renewed. This is coming off 3 S16 and 1E8 performance over the previous 5 seasons. Texas went on to hire Vic.

Aston wasn't bad. Other than her first year, she never finished lower than third in the B12 and made the tournament every year except for her first year. Texas decided they weren't going anywhere with her, so despite her successful record, she was let go.

Texas pulled a Barnes with their women's program at that time.

VN Store

Back