Kamara thriving in new Tennessee home

I don't know what games you were watching but when Hurd got a chance in the open field he was very fast. Its kinda hard to show game breaking speed when you can't get any holes because of our pathetic o-line play.

The Iowa game was the first time we created decent running lanes for Jalen Hurd and we all saw what he did. He had the commentators comparing him to Marcus Allen.

Agreed. Hurd doesn't have a blazing first few steps, but once he gets up to a full all out sprint in the open field he can really move for a 225+ tailback. Kamara seems to have a very good initial burst and top end speed. Very excited to see them both in the rotation.

hilarious

I remember being in middle school doing a 2v1 drill, one linebacker against a fullback and running back. The first time through I just ran right past the fullback and tackled the RB. Our coach (who was one of those guys who lived in the 70's/80's rough style football) got furious. Told me I was a wuss, scared to hit, etc.

I looked at him and said, "Coach, my job is to tackle the guy with the ball. His job is to block me. If he can't catch me to block me, why is that my fault?"

He started to say something then said, "you're right" and proceeded to put in our starting offensive tackle as the fullback because he almost singlehandedly filled up the hole we were running through by just standing there.

Moral of the story? Doesn't matter how fast you are. Eventually you're gonna get hit. (and suddenly that sounds like a real life analogy)

Reactions: 1 person
Not if you need someone to go the distance on 50-80 yard runs.

A 4.35-4.4 runner could do it. We have had a bunch of 4.5 runners over the last 5-6 years who have broken free past the line of scrimmage and be run down before the end-zone. Often we have been unable to get the ball in the end-zone after those runs.

Depends on how you are built. I would bet that Preston Williams only runs about a 4.5, but he is lightning fast because he accelerates as he goes down the field. Hurd is much the same way. He may not be the fastest off the line and needs a minute to get going. Guys like Hurd, Williams, and Malone are fast, but are long striders.

Reactions: 1 person
In the bowl game the announcers said that Hurd was the fastest player on the team when at top acceleration

First, I'm a big fan of Hurd and think he had a great freshman season and I'm expecting a great career if he can remain healthy!

We've repeatedly been told of him having the top speed on the team, but I didn't see elite speed in action last season. I can't recall a single play where he was able to run away from the other team once he made the corner like we saw out of the pre-injury Gurley? He does bring a lot of RB skills to the table, I'm not sure elite speed is one of them. He's by no means slow.

First, I'm a big fan of Hurd and think he had a great freshman season and I'm expecting a great career if he can remain healthy!

We've repeatedly been told of him having the top speed on the team, but I didn't see elite speed in action last season. I can't recall a single play where he was able to run away from the other team once he made the corner like we saw out of the pre-injury Gurley? He does bring a lot of RB skills to the table, I'm not sure elite speed is one of them. He's by no means slow.

Broke a tackle or two against Iowa and then just outran the rest like on the 4th down screen, or put one foot down, made a move, and was gone until someone else caught him a few times from behind.

VN Store

Back