Kamara thriving in new Tennessee home

I don't know what games you were watching but when Hurd got a chance in the open field he was very fast. Its kinda hard to show game breaking speed when you can't get any holes because of our pathetic o-line play.

The Iowa game was the first time we created decent running lanes for Jalen Hurd and we all saw what he did. He had the commentators comparing him to Marcus Allen.

I'm not saying he isn't fast, but I just don't think he's no where near as fast as we all thought he was going to be before he arrived on campus. When he had wide open holes and nothing but green grass ahead of him, he got caught from behind. The only time he wasn't caught was when the end zone was only 15-20 yards away.

I'm not saying he isn't fast, but I just don't think he's no where near as fast as we all thought he was going to be before he arrived on campus. When he had wide open holes and nothing but green grass ahead of him, he got caught from behind. The only time he wasn't caught was when the end zone was only 15-20 yards away.

Hurd is deceptively fast. I would say he's legit 4.4. Never really had many holes last season. I think we will find out this season he can fly.

Hurd is deceptively fast. I would say he's legit 4.4. Never really had many holes last season. I think we will find out this season he can fly.

That's true, he never had many wide open holes, plus he was a little banged up practically the entire season. That could slow him down just a tad too. Whether he runs a 4.3, or 4.5, it doesn't really matter that much. He's still a great young running back who will most likely be playing at the next level one day. The only way I don't see him in the NFL is if his entire UT career is injury filled.

Interesting that he ever ended up at Bama. Doesn't seem to fit the profile of a Tide RB. Could be Saban signed him to keep him away from other SEC schools.
Would love to see more depth at this position, but great to have a homerun threat.
Scott would have gotten a lot of PT. Stupid for leaving.

That's just silly. If CBJ had 4 5* RB's not a single UT fan would have a problem with it.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know what games you were watching but when Hurd got a chance in the open field he was very fast. Its kinda hard to show game breaking speed when you can't get any holes because of our pathetic o-line play.

The Iowa game was the first time we created decent running lanes for Jalen Hurd and we all saw what he did. He had the commentators comparing him to Marcus Allen.
No I agree I think he's fast but he's one of those guys who builds as he goes rather than just exploding into a run immediately. I was just suggesting a reason to the guy I responded to as to why Hurd may not run that 4.37 he's apparently run.

I think I understand what you're saying. We've all seen games where the RB hits a hole at the line of scrimmage and is off to the races. When that happened Hurd was always caught. There are a few reasons that happened for us. 1st it was very rare with our O line. For every highlight of another team's RB getting an 80 yd TD, we don't see the 5 other times in the same game that he got a 20 yard gain but was caught. Fewer opportunities = fewer results. 2nd off, if a team is filling the box to stop the run then all a RB has to do is get past the first 5-8 yards and he's behind the defense, no angles will save you at that point. Last year out WR's were our threat so very few teams put 9 in the box. Finally, if our WR's were better blockers than the DB's wouldn't be able to break away as soon in pursuit

The Vollyanna in me wants to believe that AK knows he's not only been given a second chance, but he's been given the opportunity of a lifetime for a gifted young athlete. And I hope he goes berserk when he hits the field in 2015.

Reactions: 6 people
Kamara is a good news bad news situation......
Good news is that if he runs for like 1,300 and 10 TD and he has some corderelle like highlight moves then we will probably go 8-4 or 9-3. He goes pro

Bad news is that he rushes for only about 750 Yards and only 5 TDS couple of highlights and the vols might not as good of record.

What is your guys opinion would you want him to be a another CP and be CRAZY GOOD help us to a SEC east champ and be 10-3 OR....
Be ok and help us out but the vols have a ok season and go 8-5 or 9-4

The Vollyanna in me wants to believe that AK knows he's not only been given a second chance, but he's been given the opportunity of a lifetime for a gifted young athlete. And I hope he goes berserk when he hits the field in 2015.

This is a great post. :hi: :good!: :rock:

Hurd is faster than most people think and he did great as a true freshman that was banged up a lot of the season with a bad O line.

Also remember that Hurd didn't play most of his senior season in HS because of shoulder surgery so he couldn't work out and run like he normally would have and it slowed down his progress.

Unfortunately he's rehabbing from another surgery now and missing spring practice so he'll have to work extra hard this summer and fall to be ready to rock when the season starts.

Hopefully he'll soon learn that he can't bulldoze right over SEC players and will juke more to keep going but I think he loves running guys over.

Hurd and AK will be a great smash and dash duo for us and it's going to be fun to watch.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
This would close to my guess as well. 4.5 is plenty enough fast for a running back.

Not if you need someone to go the distance on 50-80 yard runs.

A 4.35-4.4 runner could do it. We have had a bunch of 4.5 runners over the last 5-6 years who have broken free past the line of scrimmage and be run down before the end-zone. Often we have been unable to get the ball in the end-zone after those runs.

Last edited:
Did Hurd put on weight when he got here? I'm wondering if that's why he isn't as blazing fast as he was supposed to be.

About 5-6 lbs iirc. Also, when he was videoed running that laser-timed 4.37, I think he was either a soph or junior and was more in the 210 lb range. Not sure though, I'm certain others on here can confirm or deny.

That being said, Butch is on record saying Jalen was our fastest player last year, outran everyone on the team, which includes a lotta 4.4 guys like Wharton, Malone, Pig, Jo Smith, Marquez, Moseley, etc. I don't think we have the full story on just how fast Jalen is. Both times I recall him getting "caught" last year, the defensive players had angles on him.

Last edited:
In the bowl game the announcers said that Hurd was the fastest player on the team when at top acceleration.... DARTH KONG

About 5-6 lbs iirc. Also, when he was videoed running that laser-timed 4.37, I think he was either a soph or junior and was more in the 210 lb range. Not sure though, I'm certain others on here can confirm or deny.

That being said, Butch is on record saying Jalen was our fastest player last year, outran everyone on the team, which includes a lotta 4.4 guys like Wharton, Malone, Pig, Jo Smith, Marquez, Moseley, etc. I don't think we have the full story on just how fast Jalen is. Both times I recall him getting "caught" last year, the defensive players had angles on him.

I think there's a difference in the type of speed he has. For instance, it looks like Kamara has great outside speed and can outrun defenders while running towards the outside. Hurd, on the other hand, has a lot of straight line speed. He can burst out of the hole and go straight up the middle very quickly. It'll be nice to have this type of duo in our backfield.

If you watch the Iowa highlights, on the play where he runs into Coach Ferentz, you can see him keep up with Von. He may have outrun him, because Pearson may have had a little bit of a head start.

gonna be special to see these two together. It's been a while since we had to studs in the backfield

VN Store

Back