Justin Hunter ESPN

I thought Bray said he already looks as good as he did going into the Florida game?

The advancement in fixing boo boos is amazing these days. You read about some athletes coming out better than they were prior to the injury. Run faster or jump higher. Probably not always the case but it's impressive what doctors can do today.

It's bionics...just ask the $6M man....

You guys just hate listening to experts, don't you?

Seems that way, us normal folk think that our genetic makeup is that of a world class athlete or that we get the best orthopedic surgeons or we get the same rehab.

I had a much more serious knee injury than Hunter and didn't even finish rehab and was still able to feel normal after about six months.

I will say this, and it is just an example of modern medicine. In 2001 I had a radical realignment of some bones in my foot that had become very misaligned due to overuse, stress, running, etc. This required actually moving tendons, ligaments and actually cutting and realigning bones. I sat in a wheel chair for six weeks, was in orthopedic boots for another 9 weeks after that. The first day I was cleared to run, I ran a 10k and was not but about a minute off of my best time. I think that recovery is dependent upon the health of the person going in (Hunter is a specimen), the quality of the surgery (do you doubt that UT would provide anything but the finest procedure?), and proper rehab (I spent about 2 hours a day in rehab, so I know he will be doing at least that or more). If mentally he has confidence in his ability, I don't see any reason why he couldn't be 100% at about a year out, but that is just an opinion based on an unrelated sports related surgery...

I work for the best custom foot orthotic manufacturer in the world and I am proud to say that the UT athletics department uses our product. If you ever need a great pair of truly custom, full contact orthotics, let me know.

he will be fine...Its was just an ACL....those and MCL's are no biggie's now-a-days.....the torn patella is the one that ends careers.

I think this is true. My father was an orthopedic surgeon for over 30 years and fixed 100's of knees. He said once to me that ligament technology has really improved and synthetic ligaments are really good but tendons???
And this was 6 or 7 years ago.
Of course alot of how Hunter does next year will depend on his mindset and how tentative he might be. Hard not to have that injury in the back of your mind.

I think this is true. My father was an orthopedic surgeon for over 30 years and fixed 100's of knees. He said once to me that ligament technology has really improved and synthetic ligaments are really good but tendons???
And this was 6 or 7 years ago.
Of course alot of how Hunter does next year will depend on his mindset and how tentative he might be. Hard not to have that injury in the back of your mind.

Keep in mind though that it was a non-contact injury so I think he will be less tentative about getting hit than if he had been hit in the knee and injured.

If Hunter isn't 100% by the START of fall camp, something went wrong. A complication, etc. Medically, he's 'healed' at 6 months post-surgery considering all the rehab, etc. That means he can 100% resume activities. I'd give him another 60-120 days to reach his prior explosiveness if he can mentally 'trust it' (which can be an issue).
I was thinking something like this. His knee may be 100%, but it may take some time for his performance to get there.

It may be well be valid. It wouldn't surprise me at all if next year is better for him.

Yes, but the disparity between the coments about the 2 players recovery time and mental state is pretty funny. "Hunter's knee shouldnt affect him at all. But Lane's knee was the only thing holding him back from a breakout year." I love the optimism tho!

I had my ACL surgery in June and the ortho told me that I could start playing basketball, soccor, etc. (cutting sports) in another two months. He also stated that I'd need to wear my brace while playing for a year following that. Now, I'm not 19-20 years old, a high caliber athlete, and don't get PT everyday like Hunter does, but I'd say he'd be about 85% by the time the season rolls around. That would still put him in the top percentage of WRs in the SEC. The following year, if he stayed, he would be one of the best in the country. A lot of that first year getting back is mental because you don't trust you knee like you once did. He'll be fine though.

Listen buddy, you need to take that that logic and reason stuff some where else. It just doesn't fit VN!
:)

Yes, but the disparity between the coments about the 2 players recovery time and mental state is pretty funny. "Hunter's knee shouldnt affect him at all. But Lane's knee was the only thing holding him back from a breakout year." I love the optimism tho!
I hope you aren't referring to me. I think I've been consistent.

Seems that way, us normal folk think that our genetic makeup is that of a world class athlete or that we get the best orthopedic surgeons or we get the same rehab.

I had a much more serious knee injury than Hunter and didn't even finish rehab and was still able to feel normal after about six months.

Did normal include 10 -12 hours of practice a week? Playing football for 60 minutes at least 12 times a year?

Last edited:
I hope you aren't referring to me. I think I've been consistent.

No I'm not referencing any particular poster. I'm more just referring to the overall feeling that Hunter's injury won't slow him down. But that was the thing everyone focused on when discussing Lane's lack o production. Not trying to call out anybody, I was just making ab observation.

How long ago was that? Techniques and recovery have greatly improved even in last 10 years.

This. I'm not sure that he will be 100% in September or not. I think certain players recover quicker than others but the recovery time has improved since the early 2000's. When AP got hurt in December they were talking like he had a great chance of being ready when the 2012 season starts. I remember when torn ACL = 1 year recovery no questions asked.

Either way a 90% J Hunter is still a frickin Beast!

Reactions: 1 person
take it for what its worth but my sophmore season in college i blew my knee out bad ... torn ACL and MCL... with a good surgeon and hard work in rehab i returned the following season the first day of practice and recorded my fastest 40 time to date 4.48 and went on to have a great season... Knee felt great and never had another problem with it again ... just goes to show torn ACLs arent a career ender.. with hard work in rehab Jhunt will return next season stronger than ever ....

After watching tape on croom I think justin hunter getting healthy is the only way to keep him from freshman all -sec ....hope all goes well our 3 receiver sets will be the best in the conference. Go vols

After watching tape on croom I think justin hunter getting healthy is the only way to keep him from freshman all -sec ....hope all goes well our 3 receiver sets will be the best in the conference. Go vols

people say this crap every single year. Is it just hard for people to understand the difference between high school competition and SEC competition?

Yeah, but when did you have your surgery, how intense was your rehab and what doctor did the cutting?

Actually, the (then) surgeon for the football team (1987). Patella graft. Not sure if that's standard these days.

Rehab involved crutching up and down the Hill to Ayres Hall back and forth from Carrick Hall. :swoon3:

Every year it's the same story. We hype up freshman, only to be disappointed when they don't see the playing field. (i.e. how in the world can you say Croom and Bowles are representative of why we are WR U?) Expectations people. Lower them.

I think that the reason people hype up the freshman class coming in is because of the way Hunter played as a freshman. Unfortunately, they cannot all be Justin Hunters. I have to admit that I thought Worely was going to shock the world when he came in last year. Boy, was I wrong!

people say this crap every single year. Is it just hard for people to understand the difference between high school competition and SEC competition?

Nailed it with that comment. There are 5 high schools in my county alone, and roughly 600 total in the state that I reside. There are entire states in this country that dont have 3 FBS Colleges. So, what makes people think that a high school is anywhere near the level of play that an FBS college has to face every week. To be one of the best players in a state with 600 high schools is a far cry from being one of the best players in a country with 120 FBS schools.

He should be at 100% (physically) at the start of the season. I do think it will take two maybe three games for him to truly play like he was. IMO, all it takes is a few jump balls and sharp cuts from running routes for him to trust it. Which I always try to be optimistic when it comes to anything about the Vols. I think that is being realistic when you add in all of the advancements in surgery and rehab. I hope he comes back better than ever which will be hard to judge because we haven't even seen a full season from him yet. And that's scary. He could be on J. Blackmon's level of elite...

VN Store

Back