Justin Hunter ESPN

Outdoors. I agree with your time line. I am a Fam Prac PA by the way. I blew out my ACL in 2007 and was surprised at how fast I was able to recover and I was 36 then. With the right rehab and no complications ( none reported) he should be good as new. Hope for the best for JH. Great post btw.

True, but it seems guys who hurt their ACL don't get back to 100% until the second year after the injury. Hunter may play, but I don't think he'll be as good as most will probably expect.

Never thought Jamaul (sp) Lewis was the same the next year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Never thought Jamaul (sp) Lewis was the same the next year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
I'm not old enough to remember too well, but based on sheer numbers, his average dropped from Herschel Walker type numbers to Arian Foster type numbers (college version for both guys). Not bad, but not nearly what it was before. He did recover and eventually had a great season in the NFL, but he simply wasn't 100% the season following the injury.

His injury cost UT W's this past year. I hope he is full speed by this fall.

For sure it did. And it kept alot of points off the board. Screwed our already dismal rushing "attack", and allowed DR to be blanketed by double coverage the rest of the year. Can't wait until he is back.

Justin Hunter is going to be like Randy Moss. One of the freakest athlete to ever walk through the T. He has been my fav vol ever since he comitted to us. World class athlete and still humble. My kinda dude.

Orthopedic PA here. I am first assist on about 5-10 ACL/MCL surgeries a week. I am also in charge of the rehab for our office (we have a PT department, but they are considered separate).

I consult with a PT to devise a individual-specific rehab program and timetable post surgery.

If Hunter isn't 100% by the START of fall camp, something went wrong. A complication, etc. Medically, he's 'healed' at 6 months post-surgery considering all the rehab, etc. That means he can 100% resume activities. I'd give him another 60-120 days to reach his prior explosiveness if he can mentally 'trust it' (which can be an issue).

This topic has been covered numerous times and there are at least a few other medical guys (PT, maybe an MD) on this board who more or less agree with my timelines.
That's what I'm talking about. My boy Justin will be kicking ass and taking names this upcoming season!

I thought Bray said he already looks as good as he did going into the Florida game?

The advancement in fixing boo boos is amazing these days. You read about some athletes coming out better than they were prior to the injury. Run faster or jump higher. Probably not always the case but it's impressive what doctors can do today.

The surgical techniques have improved.

But the advancement in rehab is where the biggest differences are.

I'm not old enough to remember too well, but based on sheer numbers, his average dropped from Herschel Walker type numbers to Arian Foster type numbers (college version for both guys). Not bad, but not nearly what it was before. He did recover and eventually had a great season in the NFL, but he simply wasn't 100% the season following the injury.
His drug selling bizness took time away from his rehab.

Anyone that's dealt with a serious knee injury personally knows that you don't ever come back the way you were just a year later. Justin Hunter at about 85-90 percent is definitely still scary, though.

PT/rehab has come a long way in the past decade...much more aggressive with earlier return to activity and competition. As was earlier said, barring complications, JH should be full-go by the start of the season. It's also important to note that there is a difference in the workload of a WR vs. a RB. Not nearly as much brute strength involved in running routes as there is in carrying linemen and breaking tackles. He will have had some time out of the weight room, so I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't a little "weaker," but not as big of a deal for a wideout.

VN Store

Back