Jury Nullification in Georgia

to me this is like the Executive Orders fixing the issues. Its all well and good as long as it is a common sense fix. but the issue is the next person or jury won't operate the same way. and you start getting really unequal applications of laws.

Reactions: malinoisvol
yeah, I am wondering if the reverse is going to happen and how people will react then.

"we know he didn't break the law, but he deserves to be in jail anyway."

doubt that flies to well.

It's happened.

Looks like the discussion is falling on two main sides. Those who think laws are moral, must be followed and trust lawyers. And those who are intelligent.

It's happened.

this is giving free license to that. forget "judge, jury, and executioner", this is "law writer, jury, and random dice generator"

you won't be able to go into court worried about if you did the wrong thing, its totally jury manipulation. It becomes a court of public opinion, eff that with a stick.

Looks like the discussion is falling on two main sides. Those who think laws are moral, must be followed and trust lawyers. or the idiots who put their trust solely in the hands of other idiots.
fyp

this is giving free license to that. forget "judge, jury, and executioner", this is "law writer, jury, and random dice generator"

you won't be able to go into court worried about if you did the wrong thing, its totally jury manipulation. It becomes a court of public opinion, eff that with a stick.
Just because something is illegal doesn’t make it wrong morally. When unjust laws exist, it’s up to the people to make those laws unenforceable.

Do judges no longer have the ability to declare mistrial or overturn a verdict???

Just because something is illegal doesn’t make it wrong morally. When unjust laws exist, it’s up to the people to make those laws unenforceable.
with a bandaid application? If you want to fix an issue, fix it. don't slap a sticker on it and pretend its gone. the issue is still there, you just need the luck of the dice to get the right people on a jury.

Again you are hoping that the jury "gets it right" whatever that means. imagine gun issues showing up in front of jury of LGs, micks, and luther's. doesn't matter if you broke the law, you had a scary gun and are guilty.

Do judges no longer have the ability to declare mistrial or overturn a verdict???
so to fix the issue you are going to put your trust in complete strangers swayed by the latest fear mongering, and then in case they get it wrong, the big bad government should be the one to make sure its fine? seems extremely contradictory to me.

And just because something is morally wrong doesn't mean it's illegal. So now that we have established the fact that morals and laws don't necessarily correlate, where do we go?

if juries are no longer responding to the laws as written, there is zero way their is an equal protection under the laws. so if you have ever worried about your rights, the rights of someone else, a minority, women killing babies, or whatever, that all goes out the window. no protection under the law, because the law doesn't matter.

so to fix the issue you are going to put your trust in complete strangers swayed by the latest fear mongering, and then in case they get it wrong, the big bad government should be the one to make sure its fine? seems extremely contradictory to me.
Then why bother with juries at all? Ignorant folks have been casting verdicts for a very long time.

if juries are no longer responding to the laws as written, there is zero way their is an equal protection under the laws. so if you have ever worried about your rights, the rights of someone else, a minority, women killing babies, or whatever, that all goes out the window. no protection under the law, because the law doesn't matter.
Some laws don't matter.

Then why bother with juries at all? Ignorant folks have been casting verdicts for a very long time.
if you fix/remove the bad laws, juries following whatever application of the law would then be getting it right if the laws were fixed. and if they didn't then your judge could step in.

Some laws don't matter.
agreed, why can't I tie my giraffe to a light pole in Chattanooga? but if you start ignoring the stupid laws you are eventually going to be ignoring the good ones as well.

"Yeah, LouderVol raped the woman. but he hadn't been laid in several years. we will give him a pass."

if you fix/remove the bad laws, juries following whatever application of the law would then be getting it right if the laws were fixed. and if they didn't then your judge could step in.
That's a great theory. One I share. The application is different bc the laws don't get fixed (repealed).

Slippery slopes aside, the jury did right in the case discussed.

agreed, why can't I tie my giraffe to a light pole in Chattanooga? but if you start ignoring the stupid laws you are eventually going to be ignoring the good ones as well.

"Yeah, LouderVol raped the woman. but he hadn't been laid in several years. we will give him a pass."
I dunno what to tell ya if this is the hub of your argument. The same "idiots" I trust to make the correct call with this dude's mj plant are the same idiots I trust to put you in jail for rape.

Reactions: MercyPercy

The good thing about juries is they can't convict you if you're not charged. A jury can't convict you of murder when the charge is assault and a prosecutor shouldn't take someone to trial unless they have some pretty solid evidence of your guilt.

Reactions: McDad
And just because something is morally wrong doesn't mean it's illegal. So now that we have established the fact that morals and laws don't necessarily correlate, where do we go?

Malum in se (plural mala in se) is a Latin phrasemeaning wrong or evil in itself. The phrase is used to refer to conduct assessed as sinful or inherently wrong by nature, independent of regulations governing the conduct. It is distinguished from malum prohibitum, which is wrong only because it is prohibited.
For example, most human beings believe that murder, rape, and theft are wrong, regardless of whether a law governs such conduct or where the conduct occurs, and is thus recognizably malum in se. In contrast, malum prohibitumcrimes are criminal not because they are inherently bad, but because the act is prohibited by the law of the state. For example, law in the United States requires drivers to drive on the right side of the road. This is not because driving on the left side of a road is considered immoral, but because consistent rules promote safety and order on the roads.”

I would love to see a day where only crimes against persons or property are prosecuted. I fear we have a long way to go.

That's a great theory. One I share. The application is different bc the laws don't get fixed (repealed).

Slippery slopes aside, the jury did right in the case discussed.
and you want to keep trusting them and hope you come down on the right side of public opinion?

The good thing about juries is they can't convict you if you're not charged. A jury can't convict you of murder when the charge is assault and a prosecutor shouldn't take someone to trial unless they have some pretty solid evidence of your guilt.

Harumph!

VN Store

Back