Jury Nullification in Georgia

As it has been stated before... change the law.

This is the law being changed. We never remove obsolete laws. In fact, we laugh at obscure, outdated laws which are no longer applicable in our society precisely because they were never repealed.
If jurors ignore the law, make the right call, then no prosecutor is gonna spend time on the violation when it happens in the future

I disagree. I believe they're duty bound to use their best judgement.

Actually, they take an oath, "Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that you will well and truly try the issues between the State of Florida and the defendant and render a true verdict according to the law and the evidence, so help you God?"

Actually, they take an oath, "Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that you will well and truly try the issues between the State of Florida and the defendant and render a true verdict according to the law and the evidence, so help you God?"
How can there be jury nullification?

Yup. In voir dire, if a potential juror says they cannot follow the law, they can be stricken for cause.

And they should be if they say that. However there is a difference between a juror who cannot follow the law and one that after weighing the circumstances of the case decides the law isn’t applicable.

When they decide the law is being misapplied or overcharged they are abiding by their oath.

This is the law being changed. We never remove obsolete laws. In fact, we laugh at obscure, outdated laws which are no longer applicable in our society precisely because they were never repealed.
If jurors ignore the law, make the right call, then no prosecutor is gonna spend time on the violation when it happens in the future

So if a bunch of Democrats on a jury convict Trump, even though the evidence is thin, because its the right thing to do and what Trump did SHOULD be against the law, you're ok with that?

You guys need to think through the logic of what you are saying quite a bit more.

So if a bunch of Democrats on a jury convict Trump, even though the evidence is thin, because its the right thing to do and what Trump did SHOULD be against the law, you're ok with that?

You guys need to think through the logic of what you are saying quite a bit more.

Grow up. I don't give a rat's ass if Trump is tossed out.

We're discussing decent people getting mercy from a smart jury. Try to keep up.

This is the kind of mindset that makes jury nullification necessary to free people. Anyone that would convict someone because they believe there should be a law against said activity but there isn't should be kept far away from a courtroom.

If jury's start ignoring stupid laws maybe it will accelerate getting rid of them.

That's ridiculous. You want to leave reasoned thought to the subjective whims of your peers?

Have you met these people? They're all crazy. I happen to think this guy deserved to not be in the first place but CW has a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: golfballs
That's ridiculous. You want to leave reasoned thought to the subject whims of your peers?

Have you met these people? They're all crazy. I happen to think this guy deserved to not be in the first place but CW has a point.
No he doesn't. If only the law needed to be followed, why have a jury decide? Shirley a judge is more knowledgeable about the law than laypeople.

I’d rather see 1000 guilty go free than 1 innocent incarcerated.

This is the kind of mindset that makes jury nullification necessary to free people. Anyone that would convict someone because they believe there should be a law against said activity but there isn't should be kept far away from a courtroom.

My point is, you are picking and choosing which laws you want them to nullify. If they agree with your politics or your personal point of view on the subject, then you are for jury nullification. But that's not the way this works. If you want juries to exercise that power to ignore what the law actually is in favor of what you and they think it should be, you need to be prepared for some consequences you might not like so much.

That's ridiculous. You want to leave reasoned thought to the subject whims of your peers?

You sheep don’t have a problem with it when they return a guilty verdict.

My point is, you are picking and choosing which laws you want them to nullify. If they agree with your politics or your personal point of view on the subject, then you are for jury nullification. But that's not the way this works. If you want juries to exercise that power to ignore what the law actually is in favor of what you and they think it should be, you need to be prepared for some consequences you might not like so much.
Makes sense to me. And if you've ever served on a jury, the thought of a random group making up the rules as they go ought to scare the hell out of you.

Reactions: Septic
Bad precedent when juries do not follow the law.
yeah, I am wondering if the reverse is going to happen and how people will react then.

"we know he didn't break the law, but he deserves to be in jail anyway."

doubt that flies to well.

VN Store

Back