6'6" 235lbs
OLB/DE
JUCO Independence CC
2019 Early Enrollee per 247

Kuony Deng, 2019 Outside linebacker - Rivals.com

Kuony Deng, Independence C.C., Weak-Side Defensive End

Kuony Deng on Hudl

Last edited by a moderator:
Either Pruitt and the staff see something special here or they know we are out of the running for any other good LBs.

From quick glance of Hudl film he looks very athletic in space but raw overall. Could have big upside.

Last edited:
Either Pruitt and the staff see something special here or they know we are out of the running for any other good LBs.
A&M, Texas and UCLA offered last month. Must be something good about this kid that you and I can’t see just from opening a thread and making a quick judgement.

A&M, Texas and UCLA offered last month. Must be something good about this kid that you and I can’t see just from opening a thread and making a quick judgement.

Thats why I said the staff may see something special. I was thinking this offer was a little strange because of space in the class.

All-state basketball player in HS who signed with VMI in '16. Had a solid freshman season @ 6-6, 190 lbs, then in '17 he recorded 11 tackles against Air Force in VMI's 1st game; no other stats listed for him last year.
Kuony Deng Bio

Averaging 6 tackles per game for Independence this season.
Kuony Deng

Deng has always been a qualifier: “I had good grades out of high school, I was just under-recruited out of high school. So I went D1AA and then kind of developed there and realized I should be playing at a higher level. So I transferred to Independence Community College, which has turned into kind of a JUCO powerhouse. So I felt like I would have a lot of opportunities in front of me if I make that move and it’s kind of been working out since.”

Not your typical JUCO kid: “I was just under-recruited. My coaches always say he’s not a typical JUCO guy. He’s good at school, does all the right things. He’s a leader. That’s one of those things that helps me stand out in terms of recruiting as a JUCO player.”
Rutgers DL offeree Kuony Deng could be featured on season 4 of Last Chance U

Last edited:
I watched the four game highlight and he did not whiff on a single tackle. Seems to have good closing speed and an eye for the ball.

Put some weight on and he reminds me of Lorenzo Carter body type.

Until we can win recruiting battles for the kids at the top of our board, you recruit freak athletes and coach them up. Build them up physically. It takes a little more time but you still get to where you want to be.

All-state basketball player in HS who signed with VMI in '16. Had a solid freshman season @ 6-6, 190 lbs, then in '17 he recorded 11 tackles against Air Force in VMI's 1st game; no other stats listed for him last year.
Kuony Deng Bio

Averaging 6 tackles per game for Independence this season.
Kuony Deng

Deng has always been a qualifier: “I had good grades out of high school, I was just under-recruited out of high school. So I went D1AA and then kind of developed there and realized I should be playing at a higher level. So I transferred to Independence Community College, which has turned into kind of a JUCO powerhouse. So I felt like I would have a lot of opportunities in front of me if I make that move and it’s kind of been working out since.”

Not your typical JUCO kid: “I was just under-recruited. My coaches always say he’s not a typical JUCO guy. He’s good at school, does all the right things. He’s a leader. That’s one of those things that helps me stand out in terms of recruiting as a JUCO player.”
Rutgers DL offeree Kuony Deng could be featured on season 4 of Last Chance U

Kind of the exact opposite of what I look for in a JUCO player.

Fantastic for him, that he has great character and grades, but no interest out of HS with those boxes checked is 🚩 for me, every time.
JMO. I know not everyone agrees and always hopes to find the miracle that slid through every single crack

Kind of the exact opposite of what I look for in a JUCO player.

Fantastic for him, that he has great character and grades, but no interest out of HS with those boxes checked is 🚩 for me, every time.
JMO. I know not everyone agrees and always hopes to find the miracle that slid through every single crack
Man I wouldn’t call it a “miracle” when good recruits fall through the cracks. I think you would be surprised st just how many HS coaches have no clue what to do when it comes to getting their one stud player recruited. Idk where this kid went to high school, so maybe it’s a moot point, but lots of small town kids slip through the process. And i’d say the ones that keep their heads down and try to stay away from the social media craze are the ones who are more likely to be missed.

Man I wouldn’t call it a “miracle” when good recruits fall through the cracks. I think you would be surprised st just how many HS coaches have no clue what to do when it comes to getting their one stud player recruited. Idk where this kid went to high school, so maybe it’s a moot point, but lots of small town kids slip through the process. And i’d say the ones that keep their heads down and try to stay away from the social media craze are the ones who are more likely to be missed.

I wish I could see some HS stats because generally if you are completely under the recruiting sites radar, and have no offers, statistically... I’d say the chances aren’t great of him succeeding in the SEC.

There can be outliers like the WR from GA who went to FSU late last year, but he was killing it on Friday nights. If you didn’t produce on Friday nights, you probably won’t against Bama and Florida either.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Until we can win recruiting battles for the kids at the top of our board, you recruit freak athletes and coach them up. Build them up physically. It takes a little more time but you still get to where you want to be.

Rick Barnes approves this message.
GBO!!

Looks impressive to me, looks very football smart. Knows where to go, not always crashing in to sack qb....

Reactions: timmessee
I wish I could see some HS stats because generally if you are completely under the recruiting sites radar, and have no offers, statistically... I’d say the chances aren’t great of him succeeding in the SEC.

There can be outliers like the WR from GA who went to FSU late last year, but he was killing it on Friday nights. If you didn’t produce on Friday nights, you probably won’t against Bama and Florida either.
I wonder how Khalil Mack would have fared in the SEC? 🤔

VN Store

Back