Joshua Dobbs Article

Yes that hasn't aged well.

I would say that Dobbs has definitely proven he's good enough to be a starter. His play has declined a little but his situation is garbage.

The problem is everybody is looking for a top 10 QB, so if you're not a 22 YO, or a top 15 guy, your team is looking to move on from you. Being the 25th best QB in a 32 team league doesn't guarantee you there is a starting spot for you somewhere.

He's 18th in QBR, btw.

This game could be Josh's last hoorah if he doesn't do well. Media is crying for the rookie Tune and Kyler to return soon.

Looks like Dobbs is being benched. Funny how all the Vol homers who know nothing of the NFL wanted the Titans to keep him or draft Hooker over Levis despite Levis clearly being the far better pro prospect.

Looks like Dobbs is being benched. Funny how all the Vol homers who know nothing of the NFL wanted the Titans to keep him or draft Hooker over Levis despite Levis clearly being the far better pro prospect.

He's definitely not getting benched because of his performance. Josh Dobbs is quarterbacking the worst roster in the entire league, and he's 19th in QBR, ahead of Jimmy G, Russell Wilson, Jordan Love, Mac Jones, Deshaun Watson, Daniel Jones, and a bunch of young guys.

After seeing basically every play Dobbs played this year, I can't believe anybody would be arguing it was a good move to let a backup QB of this caliber go for nothing. First of all, Cards traded a 7th-round pick for him, so Titans missed out on that. Second, Dobbs shows up late as hell to camp and yeah there has been some spotty play, but he has this terrible, tanking team in nearly every game. He just put up 24 on the #1 D yesterday and that was probably his worst game.

You're telling on yourself. You didn't watch Dobbs this year. You just see the record and the headline that he got benched.

Edit: 7th rd pick, but still...free pick. I think I conflated that with Bill Simmons a couple weeks ago saying he would trade Mac Jones and a 5th rd pick for Josh Dobbs.

Last edited:
I think what's happening here is Dobbs is not a long-term solution at starting QB. The hope for the Cardinals is to build Kyler back up (to trade or keep). Kyler will be back in 2 weeks so this might be their only shot to see what Clayton Tune is about. There's more value in that then trying to squeeze a win out of Dobbs.

He's definitely not getting benched because of his performance. Josh Dobbs is quarterbacking the worst roster in the entire league, and he's 19th in QBR, ahead of Jimmy G, Russell Wilson, Jordan Love, Mac Jones, Deshaun Watson, Daniel Jones, and a bunch of young guys.

After seeing basically every play Dobbs played this year, I can't believe anybody would be arguing it was a good move to let a backup QB of this caliber go for nothing. First of all, Cards traded a 7th-round pick for him, so Titans missed out on that. Second, Dobbs shows up late as hell to camp and yeah there has been some spotty play, but he has this terrible, tanking team in nearly every game. He just put up 24 on the #1 D yesterday and that was probably his worst game.

You're telling on yourself. You didn't watch Dobbs this year. You just see the record and the headline that he got benched.

Edit: 7th rd pick, but still...free pick. I think I conflated that with Bill Simmons a couple weeks ago saying he would trade Mac Jones and a 5th rd pick for Josh Dobbs.
I watched him lose the AFC South Championship Game for the Titans last season. Dobbs ranks somewhere around 28th-35th in rostered NFL quarterbacks. A good backup but not somebody you want as a long term starter. I do agree the Titans should have kept him as a backup, he's worlds better than Malik Willis and even Ryan Tannehill at this point.

I watched him lose the AFC South Championship Game for the Titans last season. Dobbs ranks somewhere around 28th-35th in rostered NFL quarterbacks. A good backup but not somebody you want as a long term starter. I do agree the Titans should have kept him as a backup, he's worlds better than Malik Willis and even Ryan Tannehill at this point.

That might be right. I don't think it's unreasonable to put him in that range. It just sounded like you were saying he's not worth a roster spot.

QB is brutal. If you aren't a 1st rd pick then statistically speaking, the reps you get fall off a cliff, and that also means few reps with the first team. How are you supposed to perfect your trade when you don't play? Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison had tens of thousands of reps together, and that's a big part of why their connection was so special.

With the Titans, Dobbs had nobody to throw to and you were expecting him to win a play-in game for you when he had only been rostered for 19 days, and I think you're expecting too much.

I think the Titans kept Willis out of pride to be honest, they didn't want to admit they wasted a pick on him.

This trade works for everyone involved. Dobbs was probably the best option for the Vikings that didn’t involve giving up significant assets to acquire (like what happened several years ago when Bridgewater was injured and they traded for Sam Bradford). Hopefully Dobbs plays well for the Vikings this year. At this point in his career, I don’t know if Dobbs will be a long term starter for anyone. However, he’s proven to at least be a very good backup/bridge starter.

Bill Simmons and Mike Lombardi did a few minutes on Dobbs. Paraphrasing:

- he's smart and can learn these offenses quick
- things were going pretty well when he had James Connor
- he's closer to decent than bad, in that Minshew territory
- so many QB's flat out can't make plays on 3rd down and Cardinals were 16th in conversions
- now he has two good WR's and a good TE and a team in the playoff hunt

Josh finally has some real weapons to work with but more importantly he has an offensive line to work behind that isn’t a complete damn joke.🥴

Dude pretty much has had to run for his life or take multiple hits in every nfl game he’s been qb1.

VN Store

Back