Josh Dobbs signs with Titans

Yes Dobbs being in the league longer gives him a clear advantage over Willis. Willis cannot go through a single progression right now. Doesn't understand coverages. His head is spinning out there and he can't handle it unless they give him the most simple read possible.

He was even like that at Liberty! Can't see the field then he runs around and tries to make a play like he's in his backyard. Which he's actually good at, but it's hard to consistently pull that off.

He is one of the biggest projects I've ever seen drafted that high. I mean Jake Locker and Mariota didn't pan out, but they were waaaaaay ahead of Willis as rookies. He's a lot closer to Rusty Smith than he is to two below average career NFL starters.

I really don't even see the point in wasting time with him. Like we basically need him to be the best QB in our history. How many great quarterbacks looked this bad as a rookie? Zero.

So I say bench him. Based off of what I've seen Dobbs is a superior option. Don't care about regular season experience. Dobbs can read a defense! He understands football, Willis does not.

I'm sure the Titans will just roll out Willis the rest of the year because they think a miracle will happen, but Dobbs made reads and throws Willis is not capable of right now.

Not even saying Dobbs would play great, but I am saying basically any veteran NFL QB would give us a better chance to win than Malik Willis because they'll at least actually understand what's going on.

I just want to see Dobbs play in a Titans uniform but I agree he can read defense and go through progressions where Willis can’t, at least not yet. Sure the staff won’t put Dobbs in in fear that he looks good.

Yes, and Rudolph was a rookie and then his second year beat out a guy with 1 more year experience as him for the #2 spot. You keep glossing over that, but don't ever address why. And before you start making some silly remarks about how the coaches didn't give him a shot, it's well known that Tomlin and BR LOVED Dobbs and did everything they could to keep him on the roster, including putting him on season ending IR in 2021 so he didn't have to be cut or put on the practice squad (which was going to happen if they hadn't). And even a coach that loved him didn't give him the backup spot.

Minshew was a rookie in 2019. His "experience" in the system was training camp and preseason, which btw was considered very unimpressive. I would think a guy that you claim was maybe the best QB in the 2017 draft could overcome that but I guess not.

The Steelers drafted Rudolph one year after Dobbs and a round higher. It's obvious they preferred Rudolph. Now you could argue if Dobbs was impressive then the Steelers would've never drafted Rudolph. With that said, I never said Dobbs was perfect. He looked bad as a rookie and in 2019 he let Rudolph outplay him. But you're wrong about him and Minshew. Dobbs joined the Jags in week 2. By then Minshew had already come in for an injured Nick Foles and performed well in Week 1. He then continued to look good which is why Dobbs never factored into that starting job. Remember Minshew-mania was a thing.

My only argument is this. We've yet to see Dobbs play for an extended period of time in the regular season. So nobody knows what he actually is. Could he be like every other late round pick who toils for years as a backup? Sure. Or maybe he's like Brock Purdy? A guy nobody heard of who needed 2 QBs ahead of him to go down with season ending injuries so he could prove he belonged. Dobbs has yet to get that sort of break. That's all I've been saying.

I just want to see Dobbs play in a Titans uniform but I agree he can read defense and go through progressions where Willis can’t, at least not yet. Sure the staff won’t put Dobbs in in fear that he looks good.
Neither Pittsburg, Cleveland, or Tennesse will let Dobbs play. Don't want no stinkin aerospace engineer making the rest of the team look bad!

Neither Pittsburg, Cleveland, or Tennesse will let Dobbs play. Don't want no stinkin aerospace engineer making the rest of the team look bad!
Cleveland wouldn't even let Dobbs be a backup. Got rid of a good blue collar quarterback for an alleged sex offender. Dobbs could have won twice as many games as Brissett. The "mistake on the lake" must continue on!

The Steelers drafted Rudolph one year after Dobbs and a round higher. It's obvious they preferred Rudolph. Now you could argue if Dobbs was impressive then the Steelers would've never drafted Rudolph. With that said, I never said Dobbs was perfect. He looked bad as a rookie and in 2019 he let Rudolph outplay him. But you're wrong about him and Minshew. Dobbs joined the Jags in week 2. By then Minshew had already come in for an injured Nick Foles and performed well in Week 1. He then continued to look good which is why Dobbs never factored into that starting job. Remember Minshew-mania was a thing.

My only argument is this. We've yet to see Dobbs play for an extended period of time in the regular season. So nobody knows what he actually is. Could he be like every other late round pick who toils for years as a backup? Sure. Or maybe he's like Brock Purdy? A guy nobody heard of who needed 2 QBs ahead of him to go down with season ending injuries so he could prove he belonged. Dobbs has yet to get that sort of break. That's all I've been saying.

I agree with this. You never really know about any player until you see them in extended action in real games.

I agree that this likely would show that his lack of opportunity has been justified, but if any player could prove to be a surprise gamer, it would be Dobbs. I’d like to see him get a shot.

I agree with this. You never really know about any player until you see them in extended action in real games.

I agree that this likely would show that his lack of opportunity has been justified, but if any player could prove to be a surprise gamer, it would be Dobbs. I’d like to see him get a shot.

I think he is a gamer..

Some are..some aren't.

Steve McNair was a gamer. With limited practice time, he could elevate on game day. When it was 3rd and 7. he know how & where to run for 8. It was just like a God-given gift.

I hope he starts next game if Tanneyhill still out

He may not start but given Willis has struggled so much (50.8% cp, 0-3 TD/Int, 42.8 passer rating) if he doesn't come out strong there's just no point in not getting Dobbs out there. Even if the long term plan is waive Josh when Tannehill comes back (even if next season) there's no upside to the psyche of your rookie QB being left in to crash and burn for the final two games. IDK what his ceiling might be later on but Willis is not ready for this stage yet. There's literally no downside to giving Josh the keys IMO.

What did you do with the real D4H? :D

Good although he's playing behind a very poor Titans OL.
I know a lot of Titan fans are still stuck on Malik being the future and this move could ruin him.
I say it helps him. Running for his life and confused back there isn't going to help him grow. Hit the film room and do a lot of work in the off season and be ready to show your progression in camp. Everyone knows he's not ready to be the starter and was going to be a work in progress to get him developed but things changed at QB and his number got called and he wasn't ready. Can't fault him, he was a 3 round pick. His QBR is horrible, even with the Titans bad line I'd expect better than what he has.

Reactions: hndog609
I know a lot of Titan fans are still stuck on Malik being the future and this move could ruin him.
I say it helps him. Running for his life and confused back there isn't going to help him grow. Hit the film room and do a lot of work in the off season and be ready to show your progression in camp. Everyone knows he's not ready to be the starter and was going to be a work in progress to get him developed but things changed at QB and his number got called and he wasn't ready. Can't fault him, he was a 3 round pick. His QBR is horrible, even with the Titans bad line I'd expect better than what he has.

I think that group has shrunk considerably; I don't know of anyone that seriously thinks Willis is the future.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think that group has shrunk considerably; I don't know of anyone that seriously thinks Willis is the future.
They sure out number the Malik doesn't have it posters on reddit
Seems like a lot of them over there don't like that he's being benched, saying it'll hurt his confidence and other stuff

I don't think he can since Henry isn't playing.

Now he might take off running 40 times, sometimes for his life behind this O line.

That have two very strong backup running backs. The # 3 guy could be a future stud.

But, they have zilch on offense line.

Might need to start the # 3 running back at left tackle.

I'd posted elsewhere that one of the reasons I thought Josh might get playing time is that if it gets too hot for Malik it could really mess with his psyche to just get steamrolled and be unprepared to do anything about it. Josh may have enough issues with the Cowboys being #10 in passing yards allowed per game, tied for 5th in INT's and Micah Parsons is a nightmare but at least he's a veteran.

My excitement for tonight’s game just quadrupled!! If Astro Dobbs throws 4 tds tonight and wins the division next week, he may very well become the titans lead man going into the future.

I'd posted elsewhere that one of the reasons I thought Josh might get playing time is that if it gets too hot for Malik it could really mess with his psyche to just get steamrolled and be unprepared to do anything about it. Josh may have enough issues with the Cowboys being #10 in passing yards allowed per game, tied for 5th in INT's and Micah Parsons is a nightmare but at least he's a veteran.
Yup he's a gamer and honestly I thought he looked better this preseason with the Browns but I think he's still going to make it interesting for the Cowboys tonight

VN Store

Back