Josh Dobbs signs with Titans

Yes he has. If he can't beat out Jacoby Brissett and Garner Minshew, and loses the #2 job to Mason Rudolph, then you have your answer. If you can't figure by now that the NFL sees Dobbs at best as a 3rd string/practice squad QB then I can't help you.

And if he wasn't Josh Dobbs you wouldn't give him the time of day.

Almost everyone who watched the preseason this year said Dobbs outperformed Brissett. The only reason Brissett got the starter role was because of experience. Not because he outplayed Dobbs.

Dobbs never had a competition with Minshew in 2019. He joined the Jags after the preseason was over and because he was new to the system the Jags rolled with the guy who had experience in the system. Then Minshew played well and kept the job for the entire season.

And yes Dobbs did lose the #2 job to Rudolph in 2019 but he beat him out in 2018. The difference was in 2018 Big Ben stayed healthy for the entire season meaning Dobbs never saw extended playing time. In 2019 when Rudolph won the job, Big Ben was injured for the season which allowed Rudolph to get starting experience. That's why I said Dobbs has been unlucky. When he's been the backup, the starter has always been healthy thus never giving him the chance to show that he can play in the regular season.

Most teams are not gonna give an inexperienced guy the starting role unless he's a 1st round pick or because of injury. Dobbs wasn't a 1st round pick and he's been unlucky when it comes to the guys ahead of Jim staying healthy.

Last edited:
So 5 coaching staffs have now made blunders with Dobbs? I highly doubt it. He's a 3rd string/practice squad level QB at this point.

It's not blunders. Coaches are just conservative by nature. Even if a guy outperforms another in practice or the preseason, the coaches will air on the side of caution and go with the guy with more experience. I'm sure if you asked all the Browns coaches this preseason who performed best they would have said Dobbs. But because Brissett had experience as a starter he was given the job regardless of how he performed in the preseason.

Typically players with Dobbs pedigree (i.e. late round picks) only get a chance to start in the NFL at the QB position due to injury. And then it's how they perform as a starter that determines whether they get more chances or less. Dobbs simply hasn't had luck on his side. He's been the #2 QB for a NFL team for 3 seasons (2018, 2019, 2022). And in all 3 years the starter has essentially been healthy for every snap which is why he has such few career pass attempts.

The reality is this. We've only ever seen Josh Dobbs in preseason games. And I think most would say he's looked good more often than he's looked bad. Which begs the question what would he look like if he actually got some extended run in the regular season? Could he stink? Sure. But my argument is we don't know that. All we know about Josh is he's played well in the preseason and he's not gotten much of a shot in the regular season.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
You missed obvious sarcasm. I know he's a ton better than the catastrophe that was on the field today despite obvious booing.

I'll try to improve my aim in the future. Those darn slightly bent imported Malayan barrels! I ought to know better.

I want to see Dobbs too. Today was just awful
I know Malik was supposed to be a project and raw but man he looked like he couldn't even throw the ball today
Some would say he'd lose his confidence if he's benched for Dobbs. I saw he'd lose it with playing the way he's playing...he needs work, needs to go work with who ever Jalen Hurts been working with

Malik could be acceptable once he has another year or two to learn and feel comfortable with how to read defenses and checkdown quickly to secondary receivers.

But, for leading us to the playoffs this year....Dobbs with six years of experience is probably our best chance.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Dobbs parents were both at the Titans game yesterday sitting in the handicapped section since she's in a wheelchair. This was in the club section so they spent little time outside. The offensive line was a disaster yesterday, especially after numerous penasties the first half that killed any momentum. Would like to keep Dobbs and fire Downing.

Yes he has. If he can't beat out Jacoby Brissett and Garner Minshew, and loses the #2 job to Mason Rudolph, then you have your answer. If you can't figure by now that the NFL sees Dobbs at best as a 3rd string/practice squad QB then I can't help you.

And if he wasn't Josh Dobbs you wouldn't give him the time of day.

When was he given a chance? He’s played extremely well in preseason games. But I don’t recall him getting a chance in regular season games.

Dobbs parents were both at the Titans game yesterday sitting in the handicapped section since she's in a wheelchair. This was in the club section so they spent little time outside. The offensive line was a disaster yesterday, especially after numerous penasties the first half that killed any momentum. Would like to keep Dobbs and fire Downing.

Downing gets some deserved criticism, but he’s not as bad as many believe. That offensive line and WR corps severely limit what they can do offensively. Daley is the worst LT in the NFL.

Reactions: Bigorangefaninga
I want to see Dobbs too. Today was just awful
I know Malik was supposed to be a project and raw but man he looked like he couldn't even throw the ball today
Some would say he'd lose his confidence if he's benched for Dobbs. I saw he'd lose it with playing the way he's playing...he needs work, needs to go work with who ever Jalen Hurts been working with

I still think Malik can do it. But, it needs to be in around 2024. For now, he just needs to study and watch.

Playing him now is not helping matters.

When was he given a chance? He’s played extremely well in preseason games. But I don’t recall him getting a chance in regular season games.
I made an effort to try to see some Browns preseason games. I too thought Dobbs looked good. He definitely looked better than Malik did during his preseason which is understandable.
Malik needs lots of work. Sitting in his case would actually be better for him and I'm normally a you learn playing guy but not in this case, unless it's mop up duty

Almost everyone who watched the preseason this year said Dobbs outperformed Brissett. The only reason Brissett got the starter role was because of experience. Not because he outplayed Dobbs.

Dobbs never had a competition with Minshew in 2019. He joined the Jags after the preseason was over and because he was new to the system the Jags rolled with the guy who had experience in the system. Then Minshew played well and kept the job for the entire season.

And yes Dobbs did lose the #2 job to Rudolph in 2019 but he beat him out in 2018. The difference was in 2018 Big Ben stayed healthy for the entire season meaning Dobbs never saw extended playing time. In 2019 when Rudolph won the job, Big Ben was injured for the season which allowed Rudolph to get starting experience. That's why I said Dobbs has been unlucky. When he's been the backup, the starter has always been healthy thus never giving him the chance to show that he can play in the regular season.

Most teams are not gonna give an inexperienced guy the starting role unless he's a 1st round pick or because of injury. Dobbs wasn't a 1st round pick and he's been unlucky when it comes to the guys ahead of Jim staying healthy.

Yes, and Rudolph was a rookie and then his second year beat out a guy with 1 more year experience as him for the #2 spot. You keep glossing over that, but don't ever address why. And before you start making some silly remarks about how the coaches didn't give him a shot, it's well known that Tomlin and BR LOVED Dobbs and did everything they could to keep him on the roster, including putting him on season ending IR in 2021 so he didn't have to be cut or put on the practice squad (which was going to happen if they hadn't). And even a coach that loved him didn't give him the backup spot.

Minshew was a rookie in 2019. His "experience" in the system was training camp and preseason, which btw was considered very unimpressive. I would think a guy that you claim was maybe the best QB in the 2017 draft could overcome that but I guess not.

Reactions: butchna

He last came in against the Raiders in 2018 and looked pretty terrible. That was the last real time he had any playing time other than some garbage time in 2020 with the Steelers where he didn't really do much for a few plays.

I'm not impressed with Willis and would have considered trying Dobbs given the possible stakes. For whatever reason (I've wondered if just too soon to run the offense) the coaches thought otherwise.
Quite literally smarter than every other person in that organization. If he had 3 days to read the playbook, he could have run that offense 10x better than Willis did. That was a pathetic showing.

The Titans have a ton of personnel issues that will have to addressed in the off season. As bad as I hate to say it, it’s time to shop a Henry trade while there still gas left in his tank.

It's not blunders. Coaches are just conservative by nature. Even if a guy outperforms another in practice or the preseason, the coaches will air on the side of caution and go with the guy with more experience. I'm sure if you asked all the Browns coaches this preseason who performed best they would have said Dobbs. But because Brissett had experience as a starter he was given the job regardless of how he performed in the preseason.

Typically players with Dobbs pedigree (i.e. late round picks) only get a chance to start in the NFL at the QB position due to injury. And then it's how they perform as a starter that determines whether they get more chances or less. Dobbs simply hasn't had luck on his side. He's been the #2 QB for a NFL team for 3 seasons (2018, 2019, 2022). And in all 3 years the starter has essentially been healthy for every snap which is why he has such few career pass attempts.

The reality is this. We've only ever seen Josh Dobbs in preseason games. And I think most would say he's looked good more often than he's looked bad. Which begs the question what would he look like if he actually got some extended run in the regular season? Could he stink? Sure. But my argument is we don't know that. All we know about Josh is he's played well in the preseason and he's not gotten much of a shot in the regular season.

I'm not disagreeing with most of your last paragraph, but basically your argument for Dobbs can be made about pretty much every backup.

The Titans have a ton of personnel issues that will have to addressed in the off season. As bad as I hate to say it, it’s time to shop a Henry trade while there still gas left in his tank.
Probably needs to happen along with sending Tannehill and others on their way. Make it official we're rebuilding

Malik could be acceptable once he has another year or two to learn and feel comfortable with how to read defenses and checkdown quickly to secondary receivers.

But, for leading us to the playoffs this year....Dobbs with six years of experience is probably our best chance.

Yeah but he hasn't played any meaningful regular season minutes since 2018.

Willis sucks but he's started 3 games and played in 8. He already has way more regular season experience than Dobbs. So I don't know that Dobbs being in the league longer actually gives him an advantage due to his lack of actual game experience.

Then you have to decide is it actually better for you to sit Willis or not. On the one hand, yeah you can say he needs to learn more but from a PR standpoint IMO you're basically announcing you're done with him. You drafted a guy you thought was a potential successor at QB, traded up to get him and then when it's time for him to prove himself you bench him? For a guy who was just on the Lions' practice squad?

I'll keep repeating it, Dobbs was signed as an emergency QB. He's not seeing the field unless Willis gets hurt and can't play.

Quite literally smarter than every other person in that organization. If he had 3 days to read the playbook, he could have run that offense 10x better than Willis did. That was a pathetic showing.

I can't say you're wrong with much confidence.

Frankly, I'm shocked he went to the NFL aside from being able to say "I've been drafted" on his resume. Figured he'd avoid the health issues and go into his field of study.
Well so far he's been a clipboard guy with a very nice nest egg and very little body wear and tear before going to NASA or SpaceX 😎

Yeah but he hasn't played any meaningful regular season minutes since 2018.

Willis sucks but he's started 3 games and played in 8. He already has way more regular season experience than Dobbs. So I don't know that Dobbs being in the league longer actually gives him an advantage due to his lack of actual game experience.

Then you have to decide is it actually better for you to sit Willis or not. On the one hand, yeah you can say he needs to learn more but from a PR standpoint IMO you're basically announcing you're done with him. You drafted a guy you thought was a potential successor at QB, traded up to get him and then when it's time for him to prove himself you bench him? For a guy who was just on the Lions' practice squad?

I'll keep repeating it, Dobbs was signed as an emergency QB. He's not seeing the field unless Willis gets hurt and can't play.
Yes Dobbs being in the league longer gives him a clear advantage over Willis. Willis cannot go through a single progression right now. Doesn't understand coverages. His head is spinning out there and he can't handle it unless they give him the most simple read possible.

He was even like that at Liberty! Can't see the field then he runs around and tries to make a play like he's in his backyard. Which he's actually good at, but it's hard to consistently pull that off.

He is one of the biggest projects I've ever seen drafted that high. I mean Jake Locker and Mariota didn't pan out, but they were waaaaaay ahead of Willis as rookies. He's a lot closer to Rusty Smith than he is to two below average career NFL starters.

I really don't even see the point in wasting time with him. Like we basically need him to be the best QB in our history. How many great quarterbacks looked this bad as a rookie? Zero.

So I say bench him. Based off of what I've seen Dobbs is a superior option. Don't care about regular season experience. Dobbs can read a defense! He understands football, Willis does not.

I'm sure the Titans will just roll out Willis the rest of the year because they think a miracle will happen, but Dobbs made reads and throws Willis is not capable of right now.

Not even saying Dobbs would play great, but I am saying basically any veteran NFL QB would give us a better chance to win than Malik Willis because they'll at least actually understand what's going on.

No one can prove that anymore than prove I wouldn't have had sex with Margot Robbie yesterday if she had been in Nashville.

Much easier to prove that compared to you and Margo Robbie, even she has standards and you aren’t them. But anyone could have played better yesterday. That might have been one of if not the worst QB showings I’ve seen from a supposed NFL QB. I mean that was up there with the Peterman experience at Florida. They either need to try and trade Tannehill or cut him and take the savings from the cap money they will get since his dead cap hit goes down a ton after this season. Now I will say there is absolutely NO offensive talent on this team except Henry. The OL sucks, WR corps pretty much sucks, TE’s are pretty non-existent. Once their starters went down they had absolutely no depth and with this offense, they don’t need a stud QB, that’s why Tannehill has been good in it, he’s nothing special, just a game manager. If they ask too much of him we see what happened last year in the playoffs happen to him. They need to blow the team up, trade whatever parts they do have and start building from the trenches. Good enough line and you can make even a sub-par QB look good, see Dallas. I’d sit Willis this year and let Dobbs or someone else play the next 2 so that Willis doesn’t get killed. Make some trades, get some cap space and hopefully not waste any top picks. I mean that idiot picked Isaiah from UGA when every GM in the league knew he was a headcase and even had issues at UGA. Titans and Robinson make him a 1st rounder and a wasted pick.

VN Store

Back