Jordan Jenkins on his UT recruiting visit

Since many have misconstrued the original thought of the thread... here's a couple of thoughts:

1. I think Dooley has a great approach to recruiting.

2. Dooley to this point of his career is a loser. There are factors involved in that, but his record is a losing record and until proven otherwise he will be viewed as a loser. Some very concerning things happened last year, but I personally want to see what he can do vs. the SEC with SEC talent and depth which he will have this year.

3. When you have a great approach, but you factor in point 2, you will not land elite prospects at the rate UT should.

4. I would've used an article about the approach of our coach with a guy we landed, but there really isn't one that went into a lot of details that I could find. I find no personal gratification or any comfort in finishing 4th or 5th for a prospect.

5. To the other end of the spectrum. It's unrealistic names like Gruden that people like Larry have tried to emphasize that are not coming. Wake up from your dream as Webb said. Not going to happen. There's about 5-6 NFL owners that would be sleeping outside of his house if he even expressed one ounce of interest of returning to coaching. And then ESPN would be in the background offering 5 more million to his contract.

6. Having said that, can we do better if Dooley proves he is as bad as his record shows with good talent this year? Heck yes, and I would hope the AD would show action if this year is a failure.

Since many have misconstrued the original thought of the thread... here's a couple of thoughts:

1. I think Dooley has a great approach to recruiting.

2. Dooley to this point of his career is a loser. There are factors involved in that, but his record is a losing record and until proven otherwise he will be viewed as a loser. Some very concerning things happened last year, but I personally want to see what he can do vs. the SEC with SEC talent and depth which he will have this year.

3. When you have a great approach, but you factor in point 2, you will not land elite prospects at the rate UT should.

4. I would've used an article about the approach of our coach with a guy we landed, but there really isn't one that went into a lot of details that I could find. I find no personal gratification or any comfort in finishing 4th or 5th for a prospect.

5. To the other end of the spectrum. It's unrealistic names like Gruden that people like Larry have tried to emphasize that are not coming. Wake up from your dream as Webb said. Not going to happen. There's about 5-6 NFL owners that would be sleeping outside of his house if he even expressed one ounce of interest of returning to coaching. And then ESPN would be in the background offering 5 more million to his contract.

6. Having said that, can we do better if Dooley proves he is as bad as his record shows with good talent this year? Heck yes, and I would hope the AD would show action if this year is a failure.

1. Agree.
2. Agree.
3. Very much agree.
4. I understood what you were trying to say, but you had to realize the reaction that people were going to have...
5. COMPLETELY agree.
6. If it comes to firing Dooley, people need to realize one thing...we're going to be in the running for some big names, IMO. This is STILL a top 15 job. Factor in our new football facility, renewed SEC talent & depth, and the prestige that this position STILL has...we will land a worthy candidate. Under normal circumstances, I don't think there is a scenario where another Derek Dooley-type hire is made.

...but we're not hiring John Gruden.

The interesting name if Seattle is awful this year is Pete Carroll. Would be kinda like a Saban falling in Bama's lap ordeal.

Do you think Hart would look at him with the USC debacle in his background?

The interesting name if Seattle is awful this year is Pete Carroll. Would be kinda like a Saban falling in Bama's lap ordeal.

Exactly. The only worry would be the lifestyle difference and the recruiting challenges. But as pure coaching ability goes, if he is available, first call. I could see why no one in the AD would want him though.

My list:

Carroll
Patterson
Strong
Golden
Briles
London
Smart

I'm curious. Who is on your list?

In no specific order...

Brent Venables
(yes) Kirby Smart
Bret Bielema - He's a Big-10 guy and not a huge recruiter so I hesitate to put him on here but...he just gets it done at Wisconsin.
Art Briles
Gary Patterson - even though I think he'll never leave
Chris Peterson - see Gary Patterson
Justin Wilcox (probably the most controversial on here...but think of the staff he would bring, Sirmon, Lupoi...plus I think he'll be ready soon)
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham

Nicely done!

Bring back the old owners of the Crosseyed Cricket and the original owners of Ott's (we're talking from the '70's early '80's) and that's all the 5 Star you need! Catfish and Q! :thumbsup:

:) I remember the original owners of Ott's. Great BBQ.

Brent Venables
Eh.. I against on the job training for our next guy.

Kirby Smart
Inevitably... where I think we'll land.

Bret Bielema - He's a Big-10 guy and not a huge recruiter so I hesitate to put him on here but...he just gets it done at Wisconsin.
Not against it. I'm not a huge fan of him as a person though.

Art Briles
On my list too. Only question is his offenses in the SEC.
Gary Patterson - even though I think he'll never leave
Perhaps with the drug mess happening at TCU right now he would entertain the idea of leaving.
Chris Peterson - see Gary Patterson
Doubt he ever leaves.
Justin Wilcox (probably the most controversial on here...but think of the staff he would bring, Sirmon, Lupoi...plus I think he'll be ready soon)
If he stayed at UT and we were looking for a HC in the recent future, I'm all for it. Now, not so much.
Bronco Mendenhall
Isn't he Mormon? If so, he'd never leave BYU. His children have awesome names though: Raeder-Steel, Breaker, and Cutter
Kyle Whittingham
Same as Mendenhall.

Edit: I don't mean to pick apart your list. :)

You just have a lot on the list that are happy where they are right now and have turned down bigger name programs recently. Plus, you have to think about ability to recruit, knowing the ways of the SEC, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks King and Orange. I for one appreciate someone taking the time to list some good candidates for the rest of us to look at. I for one am getting a lot out of the last few posts.:good!:

Edit: Wish I could find a transcript of the Gruden interview. It was pretty interesting. And yes, I know we aren't even close to being in the running to hiring him, but at least keep him on the dream list.

Last edited:
Edit: I don't mean to pick apart your list. :)

You just have a lot on the list that are happy where they are right now and have turned down bigger name programs recently. Plus, you have to think about ability to recruit, knowing the ways of the SEC, etc.

All good. I had to do it all by memory so inevitably I'm sure I left some off....I have to admit, the other day when I did it, it was an impressive list.

I have to admit...my two favorites are Dan Mullen and Brent Venables.

JMO, but Venables is just as primed to take over a program as Kirby Smart and I have to say, I'm beginning to think that the Saban coaching tree is starting to look like the Bellichek coaching tree...lots of candidates, not that impressive of results.

Thanks King and Orange. I for one appreciate someone taking the time to list some good candidates for the rest of us to look at. I for one am getting a lot out of the last few posts.:good!:

Edit: Wish I could find a transcript of the Gruden interview. It was pretty interesting. And yes, I know we aren't even close to being in the running to hiring him, but at least keep him on the dream list.
No problem. It just kills me when some people play the "well who would come here?" or "a coaching change would set us back ten years!" card. Because, truthfully, it is completely false. With the exception of Carroll, on my list, every single one would entertain an offer from UT right now.

I wish you could find that interview. I'd like to hear it.

All good. I had to do it all by memory so inevitably I'm sure I left some off....I have to admit, the other day when I did it, it was an impressive list.

I have to admit...my two favorites are Dan Mullen and Brent Venables.

JMO, but Venables is just as primed to take over a program as Kirby Smart and I have to say, I'm beginning to think that the Saban coaching tree is starting to look like the Bellichek coaching tree...lots of candidates, not that impressive of results.

Venables may very well be as ready as Smart for a HC job. Unfortunately for him, our entire AD and staff seems to have come from Bama, so I'd imagine Smart would get the nod over him.

I'm still waiting for Dan Mullen to do anything with that gimmick offense. Much like the relationship between Chaney and Joe Tiller, I think Mullen is proving that Urban Meyer ran that offense since Bowling Green.

Right now, I'm just wary of any offensive coaches. Defense wins in the SEC, we need to get back to that.

I agree about the Saban tree.

Venables may very well be as ready as Smart for a HC job. Unfortunately for him, our entire AD and staff seems to have come from Bama, so I'd imagine Smart would get the nod over him.

I'm still waiting for Dan Mullen to do anything with that gimmick offense. Much like the relationship between Chaney and Joe Tiller, I think Mullen is proving that Urban Meyer ran that offense since Bowling Green.

Right now, I'm just wary of any offensive coaches. Defense wins in the SEC, we need to get back to that.

I agree about the Saban tree.

Both parent's graduated from MSU, so I've watched Mississippi State as long as I have watched UT.

I'll say this...the improvement that was made, starting day 1, on offense was night and day.

Which reminds me of someone else I left off...

Manny Diaz.

When he was at State, their D was VERY good. He's at Texas now and, though I haven't kept up with him there, I'm sure he's still doing great.

He'll be a HC one day...

Both parent's graduated from MSU, so I've watched Mississippi State as long as I have watched UT.

I'll say this...the improvement that was made, starting day 1, on offense was night and day.

I was wondering if there was a MSU connection somewhere. :p

It is interesting to see the different approaches we made with our lists.It seems you want a big name, very proven name, homerun hire while most of my list is relatively young in there careers.

I could add Dantonio to the list of HR hires. But like all of the big names, it would take a LOT of money to get them here.

Also, I wish Greg Schiano were still somewhat available.

I was wondering if there was a MSU connection somewhere. :p

It is interesting to see the different approaches we made with our lists.It seems you want a big name, very proven name, homerun hire while most of my list is relatively young in there careers.

I could add Dantonio to the list of HR hires. But like all of the big names, it would take a LOT of money to get them here.

Also, I wish Greg Schiano were still somewhat available.

mmm...I think mine is a mixture of up-and-comers and well-established candidates.

Venables, Diaz, Wilcox, and Smart are all young, soon-to-be Head Coaches, while Mullen, Peterson, Patterson, Bielema, Mendenhall, & Whittingham are well established coaches.

One thing they all have in common though...winning.

Dooley's record is rough. There are mitigating circumstances that factor into his record here and at La Tech but the fact remains, he's lost more than he's won.

UT should hire a proven winner with a track record of improvements at their respective schools, should Dooley not be retained at the end of the season. I'm not hoping it happens just preparing for the worse, hoping for the best.

Reactions: 1 person
Trying to see if there is a link to it anywhere. Email in to the local call in show.

Was told it was on the website. I can't find it. Hyams said he would try and find it...

Last edited:
Out of all of those, it'd be safe to assume Smart would be the first call, and he wouldn't turn it down.

I think you're right.

I'm not unhappy with that but at the same time, I'd like to see some due diligence by the AD and vet any and all interested coaches.

If I'm Dave Hart I make Bob Stoops my first call just to hear him decline the offer.

True, that may very well be unrealistic but I'd like to swing for the fences at least once just to see how far I can hit it.

I think you're right.

I'm not unhappy with that but at the same time, I'd like to see some due diligence by the AD and vet any and all interested coaches.

If I'm Dave Hart I make Bob Stoops my first call just to hear him decline the offer.

True, that may very well be unrealistic but I'd like to swing for the fences at least once just to see how far I can hit it.

I agree. I'd hate for Smart to be announced the day after the job was open. At least spend some effort for a big boy.

I agree. I'd hate for Smart to be announced the day after the job was open. At least spend some effort for a big boy.

If that happens--and I don't think it will--then I will have lost all confidence in Dave Hart.

We are still the ninth winningest program in college football history...we should go after THE best coaches out there, regardless of their current circumstances.

Now, do I expect Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, and Urban Meyer to accept the positions? No, of course not...but you (hopefully) get my point.

VN Store

Back