Jones thought the O...

Jones talked himself into a box by saying how much they needed to play JG and get him involved in the offense prior to the UMass game. Jones is his own worst enemy when he opens his mouth.

He played himself and the team into a real bind by all of QB competition talk and promising to get both QB's playing time.

This all day long.

Jones just isn't anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is and it's becoming a consistent theme with him that he has trouble handling star players.

Reactions: 1 person
... just needed a spark.

That's what he said when asked why he put JG in and basically wasted three possessions and put the game even more in jeopardy. So what was it that made him think that? The previous possession ended up with a FG. At that point, UT had scored on 3 of its last 4 possessions. QD was finding a little rhythm in the passing game as UMass loaded up to stop the run. Jones insisted on running in spite of the fact that UT was getting no push against a loaded box.

The final straw appeared to be the attempt by Dormady to draw an INT by throwing short to Chandler. Maybe Jones was hacked off that he didn't run for the 1st down. He might have made it but he was being pursued by someone from behind.

My point is that if a change was going to be made... why change the one thing that was working and put in a guy not as good at that but perhaps better at what WAS NOT WORKING? Did Jones think that UMass would load the box less against a QB more likely to run and less accomplished in throwing the ball?

Among all of the other things... I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it possible he just reacted emotionally because Dormady didn't run for that first down? He said in his post-game that it was an accumulation of things that led to the decision. But watching back over the video... it was the stubborn playcalling that appeared to stifle UT's O. They kept running on first down and putting the O behind the sticks. When they let Dormady start throwing the short routes, they started moving the ball.

He took the advice of the LoM here on Volnation and played "the better QB on the sidelines". Guess CBJ was right all along. Yet y'all blast him for doing exactly what y'all been asking for. Lol

I mostly like Jones but he's a terrible game-day coach. He makes bad decisions all the time. He should have gone out and hired the best offensive coordinator he could find and get the HELL out of the way. In this game you are only as good as your coordinators.

Jones said last week that JG would play. That's why he put him in. He knows that if he doesn't give the kid some snaps after saying he will play that he will lose him. Who knows that may be the last we ever see of JG in a TN uniform. He obviously isn't happy on sideline. And after those series how do you get him back in an SEC game?

... just needed a spark.

That's what he said when asked why he put JG in and basically wasted three possessions and put the game even more in jeopardy. So what was it that made him think that? The previous possession ended up with a FG. At that point, UT had scored on 3 of its last 4 possessions. QD was finding a little rhythm in the passing game as UMass loaded up to stop the run. Jones insisted on running in spite of the fact that UT was getting no push against a loaded box.

The final straw appeared to be the attempt by Dormady to draw an INT by throwing short to Chandler. Maybe Jones was hacked off that he didn't run for the 1st down. He might have made it but he was being pursued by someone from behind.

My point is that if a change was going to be made... why change the one thing that was working and put in a guy not as good at that but perhaps better at what WAS NOT WORKING? Did Jones think that UMass would load the box less against a QB more likely to run and less accomplished in throwing the ball?

Among all of the other things... I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it possible he just reacted emotionally because Dormady didn't run for that first down? He said in his post-game that it was an accumulation of things that led to the decision. But watching back over the video... it was the stubborn playcalling that appeared to stifle UT's O. They kept running on first down and putting the O behind the sticks. When they let Dormady start throwing the short routes, they started moving the ball.

Its pretty clear now that we have 2 QB's that are not ready for prime time. A big part of that, IMO, is the fact that this offense is easily defended, even U Mass can defend it well. Without the deception its hard to execute this offense. The opposing coaches are basically calling our plays for us.

Sheriron actually had the it factor, would have loved to have seen the young man playing in orange this season. Leadership would have been unquestioned.

Here's the results of the "it factor" in JUCO ball. Not that impressive if you ask me.

http://www.cccaastats.org/sports/fball/2017-18/players/sherironjoness1d9?view=profile

People need to quit pining for those that are no longer here and those that are sitting on the bench. Supporting the one that has been given the reins so that he can gain some confidence he isn't about to be pulled after every little mistake might go a long way to help his confidence and development. Receivers catching the ball, o-line that actually protects him and plays that fit his skill set better would also go a long way to helping him.

Freshmen play at QB and have success in systems like UT's. RS FR definitely do. He's at least a little behind the curve. Jones treated P Wms and Hurd like prima donnas IMO. Every time he does it... he gets burned. His best bet is to just coach the kid straight up and let the chips fall where they may.

UT has two commits and an outside shot at the #1 ranked DT QB in 2018. Some have said the other QB has the "it" factor... For all the handwringing, UT may be recruiting over JG as we speak.

More to it than meets the eye for sure. I'm not fueling any rumors. JG's sideline demeanor isn't something one wants to see in a back up QB. Lack of enthusiasm for sure. Can't let it become infectious.

Another thing. After reading more posts, I agree that CBJ either told him he could play or CBJ is afraid he'll quit the team. Logically, no other reason to put him in a close game.

Last edited:
Its pretty clear now that we have 2 QB's that are not ready for prime time. A big part of that, IMO, is the fact that this offense is easily defended, even U Mass can defend it well. Without the deception its hard to execute this offense. The opposing coaches are basically calling our plays for us.

No play action at all. CLS ain't got it and CBJ best be realizing it.

If he should be worried about losing to umass, then yes, it was a bad call. If he's worried about getting the offense rolling, then changing it up (even if it wastes possessions, which you can only say in hindsight) might be something reasonable to try, especially considering we need to get more snaps for younger players in non-SEC games.

The problem wasn't QD, but we needed to do something because the O-line wasn't getting to the linebackers. John Kelly was left to fend for himself, and barely got to 100. After a strong showing against Florida, the O-line was not good run blocking against umass. Maybe they were busy studying UGA's defense all week?

wait i don't get it... So he gives JG a shot and he's a bad coach because of it?
You don't just "get your shot" in live game play. For 8 months, those two guys competed for the starting job. Dormady won. By the account of LWSVOL... one of the genuine long term "insiders" on this board... that competition was never as close as the media reports.

And you don't give a player who hasn't earned it in practice "their shot" when the game is still in question with the other guy doing his job and leading the team to points.

Did you ever play? Did you ever start? Did your coach give someone a "shot" to take your position in live games after you beat him out in practice?

If you haven't played, how would you feel about your boss giving someone "a shot" at taking your job when you had proven you were more qualified?

He doesn't give JG a shot and he's a bad, conservative coach for refusing to give him a chance?
No. He gave JG a chance. Same chance Dormady got for 8 months. There's nothing "bad" about that.

Now if he just wants to play JG and is looking for a reason to do it... then he just needs to get some gumption and do it. It might and probably will cost him his job if UT loses more games because of that decision... but make a decision if you believe in it.

The time to make JG the QB was after the spring game. If it were going to be JG and he was trailing QD as much as he was in understanding and running the O then you don't split reps for even one more day. You focus on getting him ready to play. He should have gotten every 1st team rep through August. Judging by how he's played... that is the ONLY way he might have been ready to go.

You know you can't have this both ways, Volnation.

Yeah. Volnation can because there are two sides to this issue. The rational one... and the one where people disagree with me... :):loco:

I know...big assumptions on both, but this offense, as it stands now, must have a runner at QB.

No it doesn't. It needs an OL that can keep a good pocket and receivers that consistently do their jobs.

Look around college football. Most teams now run some version of the west coast spread. Some do it with a running QB. Some do it with a passing QB. There are programs that succeed with both.

UT is one OG away from having an OL that can hold up and open holes for the RB's. They need the WR's to grow up and how quickly they do will probably be the determining factor on how good the O becomes and how soon.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but the one I saw was different.QD is no threat to run and his passing is average at best. Throws off his back leg and too often when receiver is not open. I was hoping he would give JG another shot and he did. You same guys would be complaining either way it went. Butch did exactly right by trying JG.

No. It was stupid. That one stupid decision did nothing to improve JG's confidence. He isn't close to being ready to run this offense. It also undermined Dormady's confidence if not in himself... in his HC. He gets hot, starts leading the team to points in spite of no consistent running game... and the coach needs a "spark" from a different QB?

QD is a limited threat to run but isn't as slow as some of you pretend. But they really DON'T need him to run. He has made and missed some throws off his back foot. On those he's missed, I would like you to cite one where he didn't have a collapsing pocket. Average at best? If Palmer catches a perfectly thrown back shoulder pass vs UF... we're not in melt down mode right now. If Palmer completes a slant route... we're not having this argument.

Jones said for at least the 2nd time today that MANY of the things being blamed on Dormady were incorrect routes and missed assignments by the WR's. But if you knew enough about the game to watch for signs of that... you wouldn't say the stuff you said above.

Jones said last week that JG would play. That's why he put him in. He knows that if he doesn't give the kid some snaps after saying he will play that he will lose him. Who knows that may be the last we ever see of JG in a TN uniform. He obviously isn't happy on sideline. And after those series how do you get him back in an SEC game?

You don't promise guys they'll play. You don't coach to keep a kid from getting upset even to the point of leaving. You play someone because they've earned it and it helps the team.

Three drives that netted 10 yards on 11 plays... which effectively killed some mojo QD was building... didn't help the team.

Reactions: 1 person

Jones has now repeated that missed assignments and incorrect routes are hurting QD. You don't replace the guy who is doing it right... you fix the guys who are doing it wrong.

JG has been hurt by the same thing but much less. He isn't as advanced in running the O.

If he should be worried about losing to umass, then yes, it was a bad call. If he's worried about getting the offense rolling, then changing it up (even if it wastes possessions, which you can only say in hindsight) might be something reasonable to try, especially considering we need to get more snaps for younger players in non-SEC games.

The problem wasn't QD, but we needed to do something because the O-line wasn't getting to the linebackers. John Kelly was left to fend for himself, and barely got to 100. After a strong showing against Florida, the O-line was not good run blocking against umass. Maybe they were busy studying UGA's defense all week?

They'd already found the thing they needed to do. They needed to run the short passing game and mix in some long throws to make UMass back off the run blitzes. They scored the last 2 drives of the 1st half by doing just that. JG wasn't the solution to ANY problem they had... not just those relating to QD. Maybe Jones hoped he would add another element to the run game but he had three or 4 runs and UMass had no problem catching and tackling him.

I HOPE Jones has finally learned his lesson.

Screwing with the heads of QB's hasn't been his M.O. that I can tell.... but he's doing it now.

I believe the clap is a ready signal then the center snaps when ready. It is a silent count in the sense that the opponent doesn't have a count to go on. I played one season we went silent more than 50% one the time. It was very effective.

Yep, I totally get that but we always snap it immediately after the clap. Watch in the next game and see if there is ever a delay, I certainly haven't noticed one.

VN Store

Back