Jones thought the O...

It was a odd time to put Guarantano in. Almost another F-you to the fanbase. This time he didn't yell it though. Dormandy had just went 7-7.

This. We just completed our best drive of the game and his first thought is to take out Dormady and put in JG because we needed a spark? He is a fraud. I know that's harsh but I am getting more and more frustrated with each passing game.

It is like wiping your :shaking2: before you :crap2: none of it makes any sense...especially when you are coaching for your job...well at least if you want to keep it.

I know...big assumptions on both, but this offense, as it stands now, must have a runner at QB. Frankly, I don't follow recruiting like I once did so I'm not that familiar with the prospects Martinez and Taylor. I believe GT is recruiting Taylor hard as a QB so that tells me he has the wheels. How's his arm? Could he be serviceable as a passer? Is he built well enough to stand up to the physicality he'd face in the sec?

On Martinez, how does he rate as a runner and a passer? Does he have the body to hold up in the sec? Given our staffs reluctance to play younger players until they've gotten more experience, I wonder if either has the mentality and makeup to push for time behind either Dormady or JG?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Just playing the what if game. Looking for UT to finally get a fit for this damned system.

I had no issues with coach giving JG a shot in that situation. Sure QD hadn't looked that bad, but our offense as a whole was stagnant. Once again though, JG didn't do anything to help his chances of earning more playing time. He flashed on a couple plays (pass to Johnson that was dropped was on the money), but overall he looks shaky. Also, even with limited action compared to Dormady, JG has taken a couple of hard shots from his blindside.

If JG wants the starting gig he needs to be more vocal and confident. Build some rapport with the o-line, and get on the same freaking page with snap counts and such. I could harp on QD about his mechanics and progressions, but I'll let that issue be. Here's to Dormady having a solid game against the Dawgs.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but the one I saw was different.QD is no threat to run and his passing is average at best. Throws off his back leg and too often when receiver is not open. I was hoping he would give JG another shot and he did. You same guys would be complaining either way it went. Butch did exactly right by trying JG.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but the one I saw was different.QD is no threat to run and his passing is average at best. Throws off his back leg and too often when receiver is not open. I was hoping he would give JG another shot and he did. You same guys would be complaining either way it went. Butch did exactly right by trying JG.

JG was able to muster 10 yards of offense on 2 3 and outs and one 5 and out against probably the worst team we've played in a decade. He was equally inept vs the second worst team we've played in a decade with Indy St. JG may be great one day, but he has a looooooong way to go.

Reactions: 2 people
Imagine what this offense would look like with a fullback and an oline that wasnt soft as marshmallow fluff.....

What happened to the fans calling for JG? Now Jones is an idiot for playing him. You guys cannot be satisfied no matter what

Well, if anything was accomplished by inserting JG... that should include shutting down the arguments of letting him play.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly what is happening.....and from what I have seen. Who cares if he transfers.

Kind of like Taj Boyd... or Nathan Peterman or Riley Ferguson (who was very immature).....

Oh and Worley running the spread option in front of Dobbs... Interesting that QD looks just as awkward as Worely did..... The reason being that neither are spread option QB's because they are no run threat. It goes against their natural tendencies.

Hmmmm..

Dormady highest qb rating in 4 games is a 73......

Now is JG ready, probably not but QD isnt going to win many games this year based upon 1/3 of a season.

QD has most to's in the SEC....

Wish we had Sheriron Jones, QD scarred to get hit...

It was a odd time to put Guarantano in. Almost another F-you to the fanbase. This time he didn't yell it though. Dormandy had just went 7-7.

My guess is he had already promised Guarantano he could play a few series. Right now he is trying to keep his backup QB happy so he doesn't transfer. Sad but that is the state of things these days. If kids don't start they don't battle it out and wait their turn. They transfer. Prima Dona society. Also if Guarantano transfers and Dormandy goes down who does he go to?

I would hope it is obvious to most people by now that Dormandy gives us the best chance to win. I don't doubt that Guarantano is more talented but right now the game is too fast for him. Little things like messing up the snap count, reads, and the offense looks even more out of sync when he is in.

Why we are where we are, (in my humble opinion).

Player development is lacking. There were plenty of guys that are GOOD that should have seen the field more last year - Bituli, Warrier, Taylor (on defense). Doug Mathews talked today about it.

On offense - QD got no meaningful snaps last year. Part of it was that Tennessee couldn't put anybody away last year. Still - Maybe QD should have seen the field at one point when a game was close. I put that on Jones. Some of his learning curve he's suffering through now maybe could have been avoided. He was in "take a knee" mode last year. Some of this years team needed more playing time last year.

So, yes JG stunk it up. The good news is, he was in when the game was still on the line. Did he make some mistakes? I can't remember him making any good plays. I think the young man has a lot of potential - and having him in there, even when he was stinking it up - It's a side of Jones that we haven't seen.

Of course CBJ is damned if you do, damned if you don't in light of this. Another thing it does - JG is a competitor and wanted in there SO BAD against Georgia Tech. I know what was going through his head on the sidelines was "QD is struggling, put me in, I'll lead this team". So now, he's bound to be a little more humble - the coaches can point to his body of work and he can't deny that he needs work. This isn't high school anymore, where he was a stud.

JG playing, even non productive as it seemed yesterday, will pay some dividends later. QD will do fine. I like the slant to Jenkins... that play worked!!

... just needed a spark.

That's what he said when asked why he put JG in and basically wasted three possessions and put the game even more in jeopardy. So what was it that made him think that? The previous possession ended up with a FG. At that point, UT had scored on 3 of its last 4 possessions. QD was finding a little rhythm in the passing game as UMass loaded up to stop the run. Jones insisted on running in spite of the fact that UT was getting no push against a loaded box.

The final straw appeared to be the attempt by Dormady to draw an INT by throwing short to Chandler. Maybe Jones was hacked off that he didn't run for the 1st down. He might have made it but he was being pursued by someone from behind.

My point is that if a change was going to be made... why change the one thing that was working and put in a guy not as good at that but perhaps better at what WAS NOT WORKING? Did Jones think that UMass would load the box less against a QB more likely to run and less accomplished in throwing the ball?

Among all of the other things... I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it possible he just reacted emotionally because Dormady didn't run for that first down? He said in his post-game that it was an accumulation of things that led to the decision. But watching back over the video... it was the stubborn playcalling that appeared to stifle UT's O. They kept running on first down and putting the O behind the sticks. When they let Dormady start throwing the short routes, they started moving the ball.

Nooooooo $hit! :blink:

... just needed a spark.

That's what he said when asked why he put JG in and basically wasted three possessions and put the game even more in jeopardy. So what was it that made him think that? The previous possession ended up with a FG. At that point, UT had scored on 3 of its last 4 possessions. QD was finding a little rhythm in the passing game as UMass loaded up to stop the run. Jones insisted on running in spite of the fact that UT was getting no push against a loaded box.

The final straw appeared to be the attempt by Dormady to draw an INT by throwing short to Chandler. Maybe Jones was hacked off that he didn't run for the 1st down. He might have made it but he was being pursued by someone from behind.

My point is that if a change was going to be made... why change the one thing that was working and put in a guy not as good at that but perhaps better at what WAS NOT WORKING? Did Jones think that UMass would load the box less against a QB more likely to run and less accomplished in throwing the ball?

Among all of the other things... I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it possible he just reacted emotionally because Dormady didn't run for that first down? He said in his post-game that it was an accumulation of things that led to the decision. But watching back over the video... it was the stubborn playcalling that appeared to stifle UT's O. They kept running on first down and putting the O behind the sticks. When they let Dormady start throwing the short routes, they started moving the ball.

I had assumed he told the team that at that time, JG would get 3 straight series, no matter what. Put a little pressure on him and see what happened.

If you need a spark you put the guy that's a dual threat in. All coaches have done that at some point. I didn't have a problem with it.

Kind of like Taj Boyd... or Nathan Peterman or Riley Ferguson (who was very immature).....

Oh and Worley running the spread option in front of Dobbs... Interesting that QD looks just as awkward as Worely did..... The reason being that neither are spread option QB's because they are no run threat. It goes against their natural tendencies.

Hmmmm..

I agree completely, I think butch's offense has the players thinking about little details in a 3 yard per play offense. Whoever is the best in practice is the starter. JG has not had time to get comfortable. If QD goes down against a quality defense and Jarrett has to play it will look like Peterman in the swamp!!

Maybe he thought, fine, the crowd is screaming Guarantano let's show the crowd why QD is the starter ;-)

I thought it was stupid too. QD wasn't playing bad and the a couple of the the recent drives were killed by penalties when we were moving the ball (i.e., offensive PI on Smith). This was a weird offensive game. Our O-line couldn't seem to make holes for JK. Also, I just don't understand why we don't try to get JK on the edge more. We run the same running plays over and over with little to no gain hoping JK will break something.

Another thing I don't get, we never do anything to try and draw the d off-sides. There was a 3rd and 5 in the second half that I guarantee you if we had a hard count instead of the hand clapping, we would have made the jump. I get clapping hands on the road, but at home?? Teams continually are timing the snaps on us, drives me crazy. That makes it hard on the O line.

I believe the clap is a ready signal then the center snaps when ready. It is a silent count in the sense that the opponent doesn't have a count to go on. I played one season we went silent more than 50% one the time. It was very effective.

He's proving more and more he can't handle the X's and O's of coaching.

Funny you should mention that. We've all heard the adage that "it's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmys and the Joes." Meaning: it's the talent you put on the field more than the scheming, play-calling, etc.

I believe what we are witnessing is just how wrong that is in our current situation.

We seem to have the Jimmys and the Joes but can't seem to figure out the X's and the O's.

To me, the central issue in year 5 is the inability to develop all the talent we recruit so they can execute the X''s and the O's.

Separate question: in spring and fall camp, do we actually play the game of football...as in daily scrimmages? I am not talking about a few snaps of "situational" or "complementary" football...I am talking about strapping up and playing at least a quarter of live-tackling, smash mouth football. Any insights from those who might know?

VN Store

Back