Jones Staff

does anyone know (or guess) what jones' budget is for assistant salaries?

I understand being loyal to coaches you've worked with, but jones is walking into a situation with a fan base that is dying to win and a program that has inherent recruiting disadvantages. I really hope that if the AD gives him the money to do so, that he hires a top notch staff that can recruit at an SEC level.

a quick look at Cinci's roster and you can see his current staff has a pipeline into Ohio, but that's pretty much it. hopefully he can maintain his relationships in Ohio/Western Pennsylvania and add coaches that can recruit the southeast.

time will tell, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be disappointed if he brought his staff from Cincinnati.

Mark Elder coached RBs. He has been at Cincy for 3 years and he was with CBJ at Cent. Mich. before that. He does have a history of coaching LBs...maybe he'll move back there to make room for Jay Graham.

Hmm, maybe I am wrong. The Cincinnati website shows the RB coaches name is Roy Manning and he is in his 1st year.

Go Get Trooper Taylor and Tee Martin.. Retain Sam Pittman and Jay Graham..

IMO, Jones could gain a lot of favor if he were to announce that he is using Fulmer or Majors as a staff consultant to help him bring in best assistants with hearts for UT. Jones isn't a homerun HC hire, but he can still have a homerun staff.

Kiffin came in a relative question mark at HC, but he hired a staff that was big on recruiting. The one thing Butch HAS to do, to keep from starting behind the 8 ball, is to bring in a staff that is not only a big name X's and O's guy (like Chavis), but one that is a HR hitter in recruiting (unlike Chavis). Randy Shannon or Kevin Steele.

Get as many position coaches from the NFL ranks as you can.

I have never heard of any of these guys he has ties too. I hope I am wrong, but I dont feel good about this at all.

Kiffin came in a relative question mark at HC, but he hired a staff that was big on recruiting. The one thing Butch HAS to do, to keep from starting behind the 8 ball, is to bring in a staff that is not only a big name X's and O's guy (like Chavis), but one that is a HR hitter in recruiting (unlike Chavis). Randy Shannon or Kevin Steele.

Get as many position coaches from the NFL ranks as you can.

Agreed. Steele, Zook, Shannon, Tee, etc. would all be good places to start.

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly Jones should keep Chaney/Graham/Pittman/Hinshaw but move Hinshaw back to QB coach. Bring in Tee Martin at WR and there is your Offensive staff. It's best for continuity and recruiting. Keeping a bunch of Pro Style guys to coach a spread/whatever Butch Jones runs will not work. If he keeps the staff he runs a Pro Style.

Bring in Randy Shannon as DC and let Shannon choose the best guys for his 4-3. I doubt Shannon takes a lateral move from TCU to come here.

I like Chaney, but has he coached in a true spread offense like the one that Jones' runs? Jones' offense is about spreading the field sideline to sideline and going vertical with 4 WRs.

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano says Cincinnati runs a 'true' spread offense | NJ.com

Worley has spread experience. Bray does not. If Bray stays, spring ball just got more interesting

Jones's has always been a 4-3 defense guy with man/press coverage. His defensive hires will reflect that philosophy.

Honestly Jones should keep Chaney/Graham/Pittman/Hinshaw but move Hinshaw back to QB coach. Bring in Tee Martin at WR and there is your Offensive staff. It's best for continuity and recruiting. Keeping a bunch of Pro Style guys to coach a spread/whatever Butch Jones runs will not work. If he keeps the staff he runs a Pro Style.

Bring in Randy Shannon as DC and let Shannon choose the best guys for his 4-3. I doubt Shannon takes a lateral move from TCU to come here.

Chaney is donezo. He can't run a spread offense

Jones is known to be very loyal to his staff.

I would doubt that many of the current staff will be retained.

Certainly no one on the defensive side will be.

Go Get Trooper Taylor and Tee Martin.. Retain Sam Pittman and Jay Graham..

Please tell me your joking about Trooper. I don't want his towel waving self anywhere near this program again. He is one of the main reasons the NCAA is looking at auburn again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Besides him being a former player, why do we NEED TM on this staff? Does he have outstanding coaching or recruiting abilities that make him stand head and shoulders above others?

Chaney is donezo. He can't run a spread offense

You do realize Chaney has been credited by some as one of the masterminds behind the invention of the spread offense. Urban Meyer even visited Purdue when Chaney was running it over there to gain knowledge on the spread offense he ran there.

Hopefully he'll hire an all-star staff with the money we're not paying him. I dont just want whatever he had at Cinci... I want the best!

And frankly, its the smart thing for a coach to do. He basically manages an office and hires a staff. Surround yourself with winners and everyone loves you... hire Sal Sunseri and you get fired...

Besides him being a former player, why do we NEED TM on this staff? Does he have outstanding coaching or recruiting abilities that make him stand head and shoulders above others?

TM is more than just a sexy name because he played here. He received national recognition for recruiting well at Kentucky and now has added to his resume at USC being elite there

VN Store

Back