Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok , I will be that guy. What was said in the thread about him being here for the Florida game? Just a troll post or was he here. It means nothing about him being our coach. He is close with Majors and he was being honored. I figure that would be why if true.

I could be wrong, but I believe a BSU guy kicked our tails Saturday night.. I think UF's OC came over from BSU if I a not mistaken...

You're correct. His name is Brent Pease. Last year was his first year as OC for BSU. He also been the OC at Kentucky and Baylor.

What was Sabans record in the Pros!! About to get run off in Miami.
Give me a break. Dont know if he could do it or not.
I DO know, the program gets INSTANT bump and the recruiting go through the roof.
If he put the right staff together.............could be any worse.
Saban did not work at Miami because he had no qb or real talent. Hard to change a Pro team in a year or two. His players hated the accountability and structure. You know, having to be on time and do **** right and such. Much more to do in Miami than practice. Remember that tackle from USC (not South Carolina) that he made cry in training camp. Winston Justice is his name. Funny how Sabans players make just fine in the NFL. Word is they are strong tough disciplined and understand the game well. Imagine that.

I keep hearing a Corona commercial on Sirius 91 where Gruden does say that Knoxville and its Sea of Orange is "his beach". Just saying. ;-)

I've gotten to know John's brother Jay as he's now the OC here in Cincy. Great guy by the way. People can say what they want but I actually have little doubt that John would take the Tennessee job if the timing (would have to be in the next year or two) and dollars were right. They'd definitely have to put up some big bucks to get the guy, but the long-term investment for someone with like him would be absolutely huge. And the University would bring in a ton of $$$ with a guy like that running the football program. Donations would go through the roof without a doubt. They'd make up that $7-8 mil or whatever they had to pay him overnight.

Reactions: 2 people
I still think this is a pipe dream but if Dooley does not show great improvement and they could get him I would begin making the 4 hour trip a lot more often on fall Saturdays, until then, give me HD and papajohns and I am fine.

I still think this is a pipe dream but if Dooley does not show great improvement and they could get him I would begin making the 4 hour trip a lot more often on fall Saturdays, until then, give me HD and papajohns and I am fine.

It would all be up to the AD. If they were willing to put up the $$$ (which they'd make up in no time as donations would go through the roof), they'd be able to get him.

Wasn't this thread posted months ago? Taken from a Louisville board? Maybe I'm crazy.

I was thinking the same thing, I remember reading this a few months ago. Another Gruden story, let it go fan because hes waiting on the right nfl job to open up not college.

gruden's had his pick from a bunch of nfl jobs but turned them down. He makes almost $4 million for working 1 day each week at espn---a dream job.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey, I'm back out here at the Mike Tyson - Tim McGee airport and guess who I just saw in the parking lot....

TampaBayBuccaneers2006TrainingCamp6JonGruden.jpg

I know his coaching record. What's wrong with it? How does it apply to his ability to coach in college?

what's his college coaching record then?

when was the last time he coached college ball?

if he would be so good at recruiting, name just one player he recruited when he was in the college ranks

Why, exactly, do many people on here pine for Gruden? Is it just because you actually know his name and that he was affiliated with the UT program?

He's never been a head coach in college. He was a grad assistant here, but likely never had to shoulder a great burden on the recruiting trail. People underestimate how much time and manpower it takes to really be an excellent recruiter, and he's never dealt with it on this level. What makes you think he has the ability to go into Alabama or Georgia to snatch elite players from Saban or Richt?

I'm not even convinced he's that good of a coach. He won the Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa Bay with Dungy's talent. Aside from that, he had a good year in Oakland that ended in the AFC championship game. The rest of his years were either mediocre (which isn't good enough) or flamed out early in the playoffs.

Seriously. Why is he the answer? Honest question. I don't have anything against him, but I see nothing that would automatically put him at the top of any wish list.

They are all amazed by his .500 W/L record in the NFL. Don't try to reason with them, they'll just post a picture of the Buc's Super Bowl ring. Even Sapp said, and this a direct quote, "Dungy baked the cake, Gruden just put icing on it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back