John Currie has a dilemma on his hands...

I am not optimistic at all with the new Chancellor and Athletic Director team making anything positive happen in sports .....hope that is wrong .The new Woman Chancellor seems to be imbued with equality ,diversity and political correctness to the exclusion of all other items.

Reactions: 1 person
I say if you keep her and she stays then she needs a total intervention and how that is done is she needs to get somebody like Becky Hammon in for a private coaching Clinic and every game in the past two years needs to be analyzed and she needs to learn how to coach..really coach...not this faking it until she makes it..stuff she has been doing...someone needs to really school her since all those years with Pat have gone out the window.

I say if you keep her and she stays then she needs a total intervention and how that is done is she needs to get somebody like Becky Hammon in for a private coaching Clinic and every game in the past two years needs to be analyzed and she needs to learn how to coach..really coach...not this faking it until she makes it..stuff she has been doing...someone needs to really school her since all those years with Pat have gone out the window.

It is hard to teach the old dog new tricks.... 35 years as a coach... what is she going to change now? and what she knew with Pat she still has... that is the problem... the game has advanced so much now.... the ladies are so much more athletic, and all problems are not solved by "defense, rebounding, hustle!"

It is hard to teach the old dog new tricks.... 35 years as a coach... what is she going to change now? and what she knew with Pat she still has... that is the problem... the game has advanced so much now.... the ladies are so much more athletic, and all problems are not solved by "defense, rebounding, hustle!"

Defense, rebounding (boxing out) and hustle (competitiveness) would have won us a lot more games.

Defense, rebounding (boxing out) and hustle (competitiveness) would have won us a lot more games.

Agreed totally NBB - especially the "hustle" on the frequent nights when the gals didn't seem to want to be there....

But without any form of effective offensive system... any hint of it.... Holly is being lefty way back at the starting line.... (OK, "get the ball in to Mercedes" doesn't count as an offensive scheme!)

Currie ran off the men's basketball coach from Kansas State in Frank Martin, who has taken South Carolina to their first ever Sweet Sixteen.

Currie would be the biggest fool in college athletics if he were to fire Holly Warlick, who has the Number One recruiting class in America coming in next season.

You can curse, make threats against UT, cry salty tears, and attack other people on this board, but Holly will be the Lady Vols coach for the next TWO (2) seasons.

who will further destroy the Vol program. You act like we haven't had talent in recent years. We had three players on this year's team who would have been coveted by every coach in the country--including Geno. And we didn't even finish in the top 25! With mostly the same group, we've lost 26 games in two years--a 7 and a 5 seed in the SEC tourney that we dominated for decades. Warlick has been a disaster--and if you can't see that, well, you should be following roller derby and not basketball.

Reactions: 4 people
Use of the word probably lets one know that you have no idea. Name 5 that you absolutely know that would leave what they're doing and come to UT.

Name five that I ABSOLUTELY know would come. What, do you think I'm a member of their families? Or their agent? How about this: a LOT of good coaches would come here and coach this team. Do you really doubt that?

Reactions: 2 people

Learn to be a coach in a week...Maybe two.

Having every player on the same page and focusing on the same goal is what was needed.

Learning what "buttons to push" to motivate these players to perform at the top of their game...That is what is needed.

This year,
last year,
&
next year.

Reactions: 3 people
Agreed totally NBB - especially the "hustle" on the frequent nights when the gals didn't seem to want to be there....

But without any form of effective offensive system... any hint of it.... Holly is being lefty way back at the starting line.... (OK, "get the ball in to Mercedes" doesn't count as an offensive scheme!)

I agree! Our offense is bad. I believe our offense will be bettter next year with Westbrook, BUT the coaches have to update our offense. But just think, we have 4 young women who WANT to be here and who HATE to lose. Players who don't want to hustle next season won't play.

She's been in the coaching business for 35 years.

When she was an assistant with USA Basketball that won a Gold Medal I was encouraged that Holly was willing to learn from another coach.

What I didn't expect was that she shown nothing of the sort when she got back with the Lady Vols.

I hope folks in Tennessee are keeping an eye on what Holly is doing to become a better coach by learning new offenses/defenses etc., this off season/summer. Will she be riding around on her Harley or getting to work to become a better coach? She can't do both. IT's one or the other.

Is and will Holly improve her coaching or will she just coast along the highway (literally) on her Harley?:eek:k:

Holly on her Harley. Holly on her Harley. Try & say that 5 times real fast...:wacko:

Last edited:
I agree! Our offense is bad. I believe our offense will be bettter next year with Westbrook, BUT the coaches have to update our offense. But just think, we have 4 young women who WANT to be here and who HATE to lose. Players who don't want to hustle next season won't play.

Well i hope the coaches are capable.... McD's analyst today said Holly was a GREAT coach, so maybe so!

Well i hope the coaches are capable.... McD's analyst today said Holly was a GREAT coach, so maybe so!

Next season will likely determine the direction of the program. I would still like to see some personnel updates (maybe bring in an offensive whiz like USC did with the former Vandy coach Balcomb).

Next season will likely determine the direction of the program. I would still like to see some personnel updates (maybe bring in an offensive whiz like USC did with the former Vandy coach Balcomb).

The question isn't whether you can bring someone in. The question is whether that person will be given the freedom to implement an offensive and not be micromanaged by the head coach. Listening to Coach J it sounds like we have an insecure coach constantly looking over her shoulder.

Exactly she needs a fresh approach on how to watch trends in the game..in game analysis.etc..

Wow. In the first couple responses already there is a wide range of thoughts. Fire. Keep. So, yeah, it's definitely a dilemma....just the whole VFL makes it harder for me, and maybe Currie as a UT background guy.[/QUOTE

I do not see Currie coming in and immediately firing Holly. If anything her saving grace will be the return of Russell and the upperclassmen returning next year, the recruiting class coming in and the 2018 class of 5 stars listing Tennessee as a possible. Holly also has two verbals from 4 stars. Yes, she has underachieved, especially with the talent she had this year, however, on paper we are on the up swing. Holly gets another year to show what she can do with this team. If she under achieves, I think she gets fired.

The question isn't whether you can bring someone in. The question is whether that person will be given the freedom to implement an offensive and not be micromanaged by the head coach. Listening to Coach J it sounds like we have an insecure coach constantly looking over her shoulder.

You lost me at "listening to Coach J"

I do not see Currie coming in and immediately firing Holly. If anything her saving grace will be the return of Russell and the upperclassmen returning next year, the recruiting class coming in and the 2018 class of 5 stars listing Tennessee as a possible. Holly also has two verbals from 4 stars. Yes, she has underachieved, especially with the talent she had this year, however, on paper we are on the up swing. Holly gets another year to show what she can do with this team. If she under achieves, I think she gets fired.

Unless the team just straight out quits on her next year, it's more likely that they just ride out the last year of her contract... only 2 years left at this point.

Unless the team just straight out quits on her next year, it's more likely that they just ride out the last year of her contract... only 2 years left at this point.

But what about recruiting? If her contract is not renewed, with only a year left, that is pretty much saying she won't be back. How do you recruit when the unknown is the coach(es)?

For my money, bringing in someone to perform under you is not a recipe for success///

and as far as judging performance and making decision on basis of next season..... she has been given far too much time to perform (it is important to say..... given the bevvy of talent she has had)

JMHO

I think the players will be more focused & dialed in this year because they are now competing for playing time. They can easily be bench this year for playing lazy or inconsistent because the roster is stacked.

I think that will depend upon if Holly tanks and how bad she tanks with the talent she has. I also think it depends upon coaching availability. There are so many variables when you replace coaches. How do you stop top talent from jumping ship? How do you get a name coach and staff, with a history of winning, that keep the 2018 recruits intact? I believe in the right hands this program has consistent final four star power. I read how our incoming recruits are excited about putting the Lady Vols back in play as one of the top WBB programs. If that is truly their vision the program cannot allow a bad coach to stay at the helm as the Lady Vols endure two years of underperforming.

Its not about insecurities. Holly doesn't walk the walk of a timid woman. But, true indeed, it will take a strong-willed person to get this done.

VN Store

Back