John Currie has a dilemma on his hands...

Seems odd to me that with many coaches at UT who are not performing up to a high standard, some zero in on Holly. Why? Are you giving the other coaches a pass for some reason? Just askin'?

At Tennesee WBB is the second most recognized sport on a national level next to FB. When you have won 8 NCs and had the coach who won the most games in BB you have established a major brand for your school. Other sports are not as prominent on a national level.

In the past, before women's varsity sports began at UT, the second most recognized sport was men's track and field. The Vols were SEC champs every year and one of the top teams in the country. They got a lot of national publicity...I still remember the dual meet with Villanova at Tom Black Track where 10,000 fans came to watch several former Olympians in action.

Meme was ready to work the entire summer on her game.
She had a summer coach lined up and was denied.
I don't fault Meme.
She wanted to get better.

as it is, she is exactly what she was last year...No off-season growth.
That is not her fault.

Let's end the suspense. I'm dying to know whose fault it is that Meme did not improve her game over the summer?

Reactions: 3 people
Holly can't make these girls hit the open shots, but damn, she is responsible for them knowing how to get open and to work as a cohesive unit on offense as well as defense...

The Louisville team had numerous breakaways for easy baskets...Jackson has no business trying to be the offense....

The LVs looked completely out of position too many times this season....And that is on coaching. This final comedy was a capsulation of this lousy season, and her lack of head coaching abilities..

She is a disaster of a head coach....

During the season, the LVs had some losses where they really got the shots they wanted and just missed wide open shot after wide open shot. You can blame Holly for not having a better quality shooting team, which says something a problem in player development, but it was not like you could specifically say, her coaching lost the game per se.

This game was different. The LVs lacked discipline on the offensive end. This was a game where only 1 of their main three players were playing at a high level but they were getting enough to compete (for three quarters) but their 4th quarter, under pressure was a disaster. Poor decision making, unforced TOs, the wrong players taking shots repeatedly, relying on too much one on one, stagnation, the list goes on and on. It was really ugly.

But, I continue to believe that Holly will be back next year but the ice under her has thinned because this team made an early exit. I had thought that she would have two years to get a final four result but if the team has a bad season next year (even with a young team), that could well be the end of the line.

If I was Holly, I would shake up the staff. She needs new voices around her.

UT used to be a powerhouse program in multiple sports. Now UT is average, at best, in the marquee sports and bottom-half SEC all-around. Hamilton wanted to compete in the facilities arms race more than on the field and Hart was focused on improving the bottom line rather than improving team performance. Bargain-basement hires led to unprecedented turnover, a lack of stability and the loss of our competitive edge. Currie can change this... or he can continue to talk about competing for championships while failing to take the steps to do so.

During the season, the LVs had some losses where they really got the shots they wanted and just missed wide open shot after wide open shot. You can blame Holly for not having a better quality shooting team, which says something a problem in player development, but it was not like you could specifically say, her coaching lost the game per se.

This game was different. The LVs lacked discipline on the offensive end. This was a game where only 1 of their main three players were playing at a high level but they were getting enough to compete (for three quarters) but their 4th quarter, under pressure was a disaster. Poor decision making, unforced TOs, the wrong players taking shots repeatedly, relying on too much one on one, stagnation, the list goes on and on. It was really ugly.

But, I continue to believe that Holly will be back next year but the ice under her has thinned because this team made an early exit. I had thought that she would have two years to get a final four result but if the team has a bad season next year (even with a young team), that could well be the end of the line.

If I was Holly, I would shake up the staff. She needs new voices around her.

Even though it's the players on the court taking and missing shots, the fact that it happens game after game, year after year is a reflection on the coaching. She has not taught them to execute, she has not made them mentally tougher, she has not provided leadership when things go awry. That lack of leadership and player development is 100% on the coaching.

She can get new voices around her and that's a start, but the core problem is she brings nothing to the table. Pat had her shortcomings as an Xs and Os coach, but she could light a fire under her players. Holly has the same offensive deficiencies but lacks any other intangibles that makes her worth the money.

Our offensive execution has been bad for more than a decade, people! Probably closer to 15 years. Goes way back into Summitt's reign--loved the woman, but she could not coach team offense and in that respect the game had passed her by. Warlick has that problem and much more--she's not a good coach in ANY way. We show improvement offensively for stretches--a quarter or two, maybe a game or two, but it's not consistent: we see the same problems--lack of discipline, poor passing fundamentals, no doubt a bad scheme, bad decisions. Jackson took six shots in this game--just 3 fewer than Russell! Our guard play, including DeShields, was terrible. Reynolds, Jackson, DeShields--all terrible offensively. Just no excuse for it. DeShields with 3 baskets?

We've seen a LONG pattern of underachievement with the program--underachievement by individual players (Reynolds, to name one example, and DeShields, too, to name two) and by our teams. And, most of all, underachievement by our coach. That is the problem.

MadTown suggests shaking up the staff: Good grief. That, respectfully, is a ridiculous idea. You've heard the term rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? We need a new and better ship captain. You don't bring in new assistants to work with a third-rate head coach. Utterly pointless.

Reactions: 5 people
The players shot 0-12. Is that Holly fault?
All-Americans do not need a coach to help them make a in-game shot. Just put the ball in the freaking hoop, how hard is that against a team that play piss poor defense. Who was responsible for Nared's shooting night?
Whether anyone wants Holly here or there, please lay the blame where it belong.
Did CPS get the blame for the Ball State loss? Hell no.
She blamed the players and rightly so.

The bright spots are Coop will be back next year and five stellar freshmen.
Pray Diamond and Cede return, and we will have our final four spot. I hate hearing grown folks crying over spilled milk,it's pitiful and shameful. I only hope most of you are on the side of the milk carton next season.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't fault Meme.

That is not her fault.

So what happened when she was "denied"? Play video games all summer? Eat bon-bons and read romance novels?

If she didn't work on her game (and I don't know that she didn't) - that's on her, not on the person that wouldn't hire you.

Reactions: 4 people
Our offensive execution has been bad for more than a decade, people! Probably closer to 15 years. Goes way back into Summitt's reign--loved the woman, but she could not coach team offense and in that respect the game had passed her by. Warlick has that problem and much more--she's not a good coach in ANY way. We show improvement offensively for stretches--a quarter or two, maybe a game or two, but it's not consistent: we see the same problems--lack of discipline, poor passing fundamentals, no doubt a bad scheme, bad decisions. Jackson took six shots in this game--just 3 fewer than Russell! Our guard play, including DeShields, was terrible. Reynolds, Jackson, DeShields--all terrible offensively. Just no excuse for it. DeShields with 3 baskets?

We've seen a LONG pattern of underachievement with the program--underachievement by individual players (Reynolds, to name one example, and DeShields, too, to name two) and by our teams. And, most of all, underachievement by our coach. That is the problem.

MadTown suggests shaking up the staff: Good grief. That, respectfully, is a ridiculous idea. You've heard the term rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? We need a new and better ship captain. You don't bring in new assistants to work with a third-rate head coach. Utterly pointless.

You keep saying this. So what's your solution? UTAD isn't going to buy out Holly's contract this year. You think staff changes are a ridiculous idea. So what's your solution?

...If I was Holly, I would shake up the staff. She needs new voices around her.

She's tried that twice now. Daedra Charles and Elzy were both let go. Although in Charles' case she had some odd title such as director of development or something.

I don't fault Meme.

That is not her fault.

That is such BS. There are balls and there are courts to practice on somewhere. Go do it until you get better. That is what makes you better, you don't have to have a special coach. You have to have the desire.

...MadTown suggests shaking up the staff: Good grief. That, respectfully, is a ridiculous idea. You've heard the term rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? We need a new and better ship captain. You don't bring in new assistants to work with a third-rate head coach. Utterly pointless.

You keep saying this. So what's your solution? UTAD isn't going to buy out Holly's contract this year. You think staff changes are a ridiculous idea. So what's your solution?

Armchair started a thread about Courtney Banghart, the Princeton coach, suggesting she would be a good hire.

So a better captain on the Titanic would have saved the ship. I would have rearranged the icebergs.lmbo

Armchair started a thread about Courtney Banghart, the Princeton coach, suggesting she would be a good hire.

But that requires firing the current HC, so it's a down-the-road solution. UTAD isn't going to pay a $1.3+ million buyout for a HC with a .736 record in a non-revenue sport-- especially when she has the #1 recruiting class on deck. Currie and Davenport have bigger problems to address first.

This will be my second, and final post, about the current coaching situation.

Holly will be back next year if she wants the job. She honestly deserves one more chance to get the program back to the strength it was, which is consistently contending for the SEC title and FF weekend. She should commit, along with her staff, to constructing an offense around the incoming freshmen and molding it to their talents. Pat and UT had a very well defined system they molded players into. That system is not working as well these days so it's time to change the approach. It is possible for a coach to learn new tricks and adapt. It is time Holly shows she can do that if possible.

The last two years have been incredibly disappointing and frustrating for fans, but it isn't too late for a course correction.

This will be my second, and final post, about the current coaching situation.

Holly will be back next year if she wants the job. She honestly deserves one more chance to get the program back to the strength it was, which is consistently contending for the SEC title and FF weekend. She should commit, along with her staff, to constructing an offense around the incoming freshmen and molding it to their talents. Pat and UT had a very well defined system they molded players into. That system is not working as well these days so it's time to change the approach. It is possible for a coach to learn new tricks and adapt. It is time Holly shows she can do that if possible.

The last two years have been incredibly disappointing and frustrating for fans, but it isn't too late for a course correction.

The bolded part is where I think she really fails as a coach. She is oblivious to her personnel. All she can do is scream, "Inside OUT!!!!" no matter who her inside player is.

She's a one-trick coaching pony and a 3rd rate Pat Summitt Tribute Act whose show has gotten stale and exposed for the coaching imposter that she is.

Reactions: 6 people
Holly Warlick probably needs to either win the SEC or get to the Final Four next year to save her job

If she doesn't, I doubt they will make a change. If you are talking about Football or Men's Basketball, even Baseball, then booster donations (or lack thereof) forces change. To most of those folk, it seems the Lady Vols is just another Title IX program they care little about. All that matters is the federal law is satisfied.

If they are winning, that's great, but if they lose? So what? They might have cared a little while Pat was around, but now that she is gone it just isn't a pressing concern.

If it was, a change would have already been made. Just the way I see it.

That is a scenario that Armchair just can not accept. Her or his starting premise that HOLLY MUST BE FIRED!.

The counter idea that the UTAD is not likely to fire her in the near future just does not register.

So, when someone says, given that "Holly is likely to the coach next year, what can be done to make things better? Armchair takes that as a "ridiculous" idea and an insult to all that is good and virtuous.

Reactions: 2 people
Guys, it's obvious we all care for the LVs...

Since it does appear Holly will stay as coach, I would like for her to go to Geno's open practices for coaches to attend...He allows any coach in America come and watch his practices as much as they want too...He is the best, learn from the best...

All of you realize Geno would have taken this class to a much better record then they finished with...Although we had limitations, especially at the guard position, a more competent coach would have got and demanded more from these players...

On a scale of 1-5 for the season
DeShields 4
Russell 3.5
Nared 4
Reynolds 2.5
Middleton 2
Jackson 1
Dunbar 1
Nunn 3

Holly 2

Reactions: 2 people

Since it does appear Holly will stay as coach, I would like for her to go to Geno's open practices for coaches to attend...He allows any coach in America come and watch his practices as much as they want too...He is the best, learn from the best...

All of you realize Geno would have taken this class to a much better record then they finished with...Although we had limitations, especially at the guard position, a more competent coach would have got and demanded more from these players...

DeShields 4
Russell 3.5
Nared 4
Reynolds 2.5
Middleton 2
Jackson 1
Dunbar 1
Nunn 3

Holly 2

You forgot Harris 0, but after all she was a project. BS - She was only added last minute to make it look ok. If I were Harris and I wanted to play, I would transfer to a smaller school.

DeShields 4
Russell 3.5
Nared 4
Reynolds 2.5
Middleton 2
Jackson 1
Dunbar 1
Nunn 3

Holly 2

Nared was the most consistent player this season and deserves a higher rating than Deshields.

Deshields played to her potential only when she wanted to, as many of the talking heads have constantly pointed out.

VN Store

Back