John Chavis close to big-money deal

As good as he is, I don't think he's worth that much. And I don't think he's a better defensive coordinator than Kirby Smart.

Kirby Smart had more talent position by position than any DC in the nation to work with. Chavis turned a defense around where as Smart just kept it going. And many people believe Saban is the true DC/HC at bammer.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
And cost us that many more over time.
:p

I love how people hate the prevent. Yet EVERY DC in college and NFL use it. No one remembers that the over whelming majority of the time it works.
And you may wanna check and see just how many OT games UT lost while Chavis was here.

As good as he is, I don't think he's worth that much. And I don't think he's a better defensive coordinator than Kirby Smart.

John Chavis is twice the coordinator as Kirby Smart. 3/4's of what Kirby does is by having Nick Saban in his ear. John Chavis is the best D Coordinator in the SEC and quite possibly in all of college football. He deserves as much money as he can get. Chavis was a great coordinator for Tennessee, the problem is is that alot of Tennessee fans have a skewed view towards him simply because he was part of Fulmer's staff. As bad as the talent dropped off toward the end of the Fulmer era, Chavis always kept us in the game, and put a Quality D on the field that was competitive. He was loyal to the University all the way up until Lane Kiffin gave him the boot.

Reactions: 1 person
Chavis is a good DC. With that said...

Why is a thread about LSU's DC salary deal in the UT Football forum?

He's gone. Let him go.

I'm glad for the Chief. He landed in the perfect spot, where he can recruit in his office and get away with it. Hoping for continued success for him, especially against the Gumps and the Barn.

Hard to argue that he's one of the best in college football. Seems like a no brainer to me. The real conversation we should be having is how this just increases the arms race to keep high quality coordinators (something we already have trouble doing). I'm not sure this is good for us or college football in general. We already pay these coaches and assistants WAY too much, simply because we have to (because someone else will). Other than that, it's hard to be mad. Dude deserves to get paid. His defense is legit awesome. Whether it's him or the players or both doesn't matter...he gets the credit. If we win 10 games this year (unrealistically big IF), Dooley is going to get a raise (even though it would be Bray and those WRs getting the job done).

Like someone else posted, LSU didn't lose because of defense.

And those who wanna say he's only doing a good job because all the talent only need check the LSU D the year before he got there. The year before he got there they were loaded with talent and were not that good. LSU fans love him because they saw first hand the turn around.

Holybama! I agree with beef!

Could've sworn I was sober....

I love how people hate the prevent. Yet EVERY DC in college and NFL use it. No one remembers that the over whelming majority of the time it works.
And you may wanna check and see just how many OT games UT lost while Chavis was here.
In most of those cases, not using a 'prevent def.' would have kept us from having to go into overtime. He doesnt use that same method as much now as he did when he was here. And look how well his "D" is now versus then and how many OT games have they been in since he has been there.
Whats your point?

Last edited:

its ok to run the prevent until the other team gets to mid field. Then as the team gets closer to the goal line you start tightening up the coverage. I would love to have JC back but that doest change the fact that his soft coverage was alot like tag football.

talent. I'll be very interested to see what LSU is doing in 3-5 years.

"It's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's."

...doesn't mean he's a bad coach though. He's not the most tenured (overall) DC in the SEC because he's bad at his job.

You guys are right. Chavis inst any good and all the other coaches and his former players and most people who know football are wrong.

Last edited:
You guys are right. Chavis inst any good and all the other coaches and his former players and most people who know football are wrong.

I think if we could go back and change the results of a Florida game or two and the 2001 SECCG, peoples view of Chavis would be completely different.

I think if we could go back and change the results of a Florida game or two and the 2001 SECCG, peoples view of Chavis would be completely different.

Or 06 LSU or 2003 UGA (Hobnail Boot game, may have the year off) or 07 Bama.

I liked Chavis, I think he's a good DC and an even better DC when he has elite talent. I don't think he's a million dollar coordinator though.

I hated seeing third and long when he was here.

And a ga game.

I always blamed that one on an awful squib kick that handed UGA 20 yards of field position. The rest was just one of those crazy things that happens every once in awhile.

There were some Florida games in the 90s where, even though they had great offenses, I couldn't figure out what Chavis had done to prepare for the game.

why do you only deal in absolutes? You can think that he is a good coach and not think that he is worth 1.1 million. You can think that he is a good coach and hate his version of the prevent. what expert are you talking about? I havnt seen one say that his mustang package was good or bad. When did an expert say anything about the schemes or personell that he runs.

Beef, expert= coaches , and people that know football.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back