Joe Milton question

Considering how well he played in the Orange bowl... I think we are in good hands.

This is where my head is about Joe as well. I was not a fan until he proved it on the field. That Clemson team we beat were no pushovers. They were not national champ material but they were a very good football team. Now can Joe maintain the consistency of a winner? I think he's older and wiser and he should. He's now one and done at UT either way, he may as well go out with a great season behind him.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think Milton will have a good year passing. The question I have is when the play breaks down will he be a willing runner and pick up first downs like Hooker did.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
So I love our coach and team and I think Milton has got his throwing fixed. The question I have is does he have the game winning instinct now or is he still going to run out of bounds. Thoughts?
Give it a rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
This topic is not going to be resolved any time soon. It even spilled over to the baseball forum. Plenty of blood spots on the wall......

If you still have doubts, go back and watch the Clemson bowl game. Go back and rewatch the TD to Bru in the back of the endzone. Check out the timing and the tight window on that play.

Hopefully at least we can agree NOT to compare his interception totals against Hooker’s. Unbelievable any D1 QB had only like 5 (I think that’s correct) IN TWO seasons. What HH did here was NOT the norm. I fully expect JM to have more than 2-3 interceptions this year…and that’s perfectly acceptable…unless of course we’re talking double digits..which I don’t expect either. JMO

Reactions: DuckInAPen
thats video evidence he did his best and was clearly pushed out of bounds
Not sure what you watched. But he slowed up in bounds next to the sideline, gave himself up without even putting the ball near the end zone for a chance. And for the record, I hope the man shows out this year and is at least in consideration for the Heistman.

His main problem has been a lack of touch on the ball. But he improved last year, and he has the best QB coaches in the business. They will put him in situations that emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. I am confident he will ball out this year, and we will have a terrific season.

Not sure what you watched. But he slowed up in bounds next to the sideline, gave himself up without even putting the ball near the end zone for a chance. And for the record, I hope the man shows out this year and is at least in consideration for the Heistman.
Sometimes how you feel and what happened dont match. This is Joe Milton a college QB not Derrick Henry NFL beast rb. They both have different agendas. Joe made a good college QB effort

Last edited:

He was way past the LOS when knocked OOB. TOSSING was not an option at the 8. Being forced out of the pocket QUICKLY by a 3 man rush was the problem. He IN FACT did slow down just before the LOS, but throwing a blind prayer is not a badge of courage but giving up more than looking for path to the end zone. Lots less contact.

Reactions: pimo1
Let us just make it perfectly clear. At that point, in Joe Miltons career that play happened, he was getting an NFL shot whether it was drafted or as an UDFA people dont skip on that. He didnt have a NIL bag and afaik aint got one yet. That play was a smart business decision and even as a true Vol fan, I get it. Does him spinning inside and maybe getting that extra change anything in the big picture? We win that game, what next? An SECCG? Pretty sure we didn't have that math on our side. But f it lets call it that..we go the and get lambasted by bama? Because that's what our team was equipped for at that point.

Joe put everything on the field he should have that play like he always does. This guy sat behind Hendon last season when he could have easily transfered and started elsewhere. He is our starting QB and a certified VFL...I am sick and tired of the Milton disrespect. Get on board or F off. Win or lose im riding with this cat and i believe in this team and his leadership. He has earned it.

Last edited:
If Tillman timed his Jump alittle better we win that game. Go back and look at Joe's throw to the endzone. PERFECT. Just timed wrong by Tillman. Scraped his fingertips.
what would everyone had of thought if that would have happened. It’s crazy that just a few seconds and decisions will follow you till you’re gone.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
So I love our coach and team and I think Milton has got his throwing fixed. The question I have is does he have the game winning instinct now or is he still going to run out of bounds. Thoughts?
Thoughts?
I think the last part of your 'question' is idiotic.

I suggest you watch the Orange Bowl

Fine isn't good enough... Come on man you know that we expect perfection from all of these young men. They are not allowed to make a mistake. If they do they can not get on volnation until the next week.
I will expect a lot more from them when they start making NFL money in college though. Nico better be the best to ever walk on Shields-Watkins.

Hendon made great instant decisions. He has excellent situation awareness. Joe is not close. Check the Clemson tape, 7 punts. Three or 4 blown possessions due to Joe's hesitancy. Joe has other attributes but expect Vol offense to be more inconsistent.

Honestly, I think the season could go a number of different ways for Milton. And I don’t think anyone knows what truly will happen when the bullets start flying.

But, he will have an entire spring and fall as the #1 going into this season. And we will see how well he has developed under Heupel’s coaching.

Honestly, I think the season could go a number of different ways for Milton. And I don’t think anyone knows what truly will happen when the bullets start flying.

But, he will have an entire spring and fall as the #1 going into this season. And we will see how well he has developed under Heupel’s coaching.
If anybody can improve Joe's decision making, it's Josh Heupel.. I believe that.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back