Joe Milton at Senior Bowl

Doesn't appear the post worked, even the people on the Senior Bowl said Joe was unimpressive in the week long workouts with bad decisions and inaccurate throws. Anyone with a functioning brain and knows anything about football could not say Joe is a good qb. I think Joe is a very good person, likeable, and stayed out of trouble, but that doesn't make him a good qb. All year, those who were saying Joe was not that bad, that it was the wr, and the ol. Well he was playing with the best in the Senior bowl and still made bad decisions. Joe was bad as a qb period. But I do wish Joe the best in his life, and hopefully he gets drafted and does well in the NFL

There’s literally visual evidence on WELL over a dozen plays throughout this season that prove he didn’t get a ton of help from his WRs or OL. I never said there wasn’t evidence of him needing to work on multiple things, there is. But he gets blindsided in the Bama game to start the 2nd half bc an OL couldn’t do his job lol he threw an errant duck for an INT in the Florida game bc he got drilled by a defender as he threw (again, OL/blitz pickup not doing their job). There’s also evidence here on this very message board of people b*tching about multiple TD drops by our WRs in various games.

& if the senior bowl is “the best of the best”.. then how do you explain Milton being there? 🤔 & I’m in no way arguing he IS the best of the best, but by your logic he wouldn’t be there since he’s “a bad qb”… I also hope you aren’t using that interception from the senior bowl as any kind of proof, seeing as how the WR literally quit running on the play as he threw it lol

There’s literally visual evidence on WELL over a dozen plays throughout this season that prove he didn’t get a ton of help from his WRs or OL. I never said there wasn’t evidence of him needing to work on multiple things, there is. But he gets blindsided in the Bama game to start the 2nd half bc an OL couldn’t do his job lol he threw an errant duck for an INT in the Florida game bc he got drilled by a defender as he threw (again, OL/blitz pickup not doing their job). There’s also evidence here on this very message board of people b*tching about multiple TD drops by our WRs in various games.

& if the senior bowl is “the best of the best”.. then how do you explain Milton being there? 🤔 & I’m in no way arguing he IS the best of the best, but by your logic he wouldn’t be there since he’s “a bad qb”… I also hope you aren’t using that interception from the senior bowl as any kind of proof, seeing as how the WR literally quit running on the play as he threw it lol
Joe was there because there are enough people such as you who thinks he is good enough. I am just offering my opinion as well as obviously the opinion of many others that he is not a good qb. He is very weak on downfield passing, and across the middle. He stunk it up at the senior bowl. Bad decisions, could have run for a first down on at least two occasions but decided to throw an int. instead on one of them. I have heard it all from the Joe defenders it is always someone elses fault, the wr, ok the ol, You have your opinion, I have mine nothing to get upset about. You are acting like a child. Your opinion is just as good as mine, and mine is just as good as yours. And I do agree we had too many drops from wr. And I am using both of the int. in the senior bowl because they happened and both were bad decisions if you re look at the game film.

So Milton was 45th in yards per completion in 2023 per NCAA at an average of 12.28. That’s better than Spencer Ratter. 45 out of 106 QBs is not bad.
“While Milton’s physical traits are apparent,” Reid wrote, “he still struggles with deep accuracy. He completed 28.6% of his passes of 20-plus air yards (103rd in the FBS). Touch on vertical throws remains a concern despite the arm strength. He has to learn to layer the ball to his desired spots.”

Joe was there because there are enough people such as you who thinks he is good enough. I am just offering my opinion as well as obviously the opinion of many others that he is not a good qb. He is very weak on downfield passing, and across the middle. He stunk it up at the senior bowl. Bad decisions, could have run for a first down on at least two occasions but decided to throw an int. instead on one of them. I have heard it all from the Joe defenders it is always someone elses fault, the wr, ok the ol, You have your opinion, I have mine nothing to get upset about. You are acting like a child. Your opinion is just as good as mine, and mine is just as good as yours. And I do agree we had too many drops from wr. And I am using both of the int. in the senior bowl because they happened and both were bad decisions if you re look at the game film.
I stated within the very response you quoted that there’s just as much evidence of him also needing to work on things. But the basis of my stance is to get you to understand that the body of work you’re basing your opinion off of, would be much different if DPI calls were made by refs on certain plays & if the dozen or more drops were actually catches.

Best I remember Milton averaged 7.9 per completion and I believe that includes YAC? Many completions were 1-3 yards turned into 5 to 10 yards after the catch..

If he could ever dial in his longer throws he could be really good. Hopefully he gets a NFL chance and they can get his light to come on.

. I stated within the very response you quoted that there’s just as much evidence of him also needing to work on things. But the basis of my stance is to get you to understand that the body of work you’re basing your opinion off of, would be much different if DPI calls were made by refs on certain plays & if the dozen or more drops were actually catches.
lol. no feelings hurt, takes much more than that to hurt my feelings. Just enjoy conversation with different people even when we disagree. I again do think Joe is a really good person and wish him the best. We just differ on our opinion of the play of Joe. I still can't find the stat sheet I have seen that shows his completions to different parts of the field. I did see some that showed his downfield completion rate. But I want more official stats.

lol. no feelings hurt, takes much more than that to hurt my feelings. Just enjoy conversation with different people even when we disagree. I again do think Joe is a really good person and wish him the best. We just differ on our opinion of the play of Joe. I still can't find the stat sheet I have seen that shows his completions to different parts of the field. I did see some that showed his downfield completion rate. But I want more official stats.
I don’t base my opinion solely off of downfield completion % bc it doesn’t take into account inexcusable drops or inexcusable no-calls. I prefer to distribute the blame of a bad play situationally. It’s not fair to use the resulting completion % against one single player, it simply doesn’t take into consideration others doing, or not doing, their jobs. It’s plenty fair to place blame on Milton when he does inexcusable things, and I’ve maintained that he has his issues to work on. But it only seems logical to me to place blame on all of the misfiring aspects of a play when it fails. Let’s say Milton is 2/6 for 26 yards in a given game at the end of Q1 & his 4 “incompletions” are: a throwaway bc of OL breakdown, 2 downfield drops by the WRs, & then leading the WR by a yard or two too many.. what’s typically our fans’ takeaway? That he has a trash completion % & is wholly inaccurate? Or that we pulled an Amber Heard & collectively shat the bed as an offense?

Stats don’t always paint the full picture.. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don’t base my opinion solely off of downfield completion % bc it doesn’t take into account inexcusable drops or inexcusable no-calls. I prefer to distribute the blame of a bad play situationally. It’s not fair to use the resulting completion % against one single player, it simply doesn’t take into consideration others doing, or not doing, their jobs. It’s plenty fair to place blame on Milton when he does inexcusable things, and I’ve maintained that he has his issues to work on. But it only seems logical to me to place blame on all of the misfiring aspects of a play when it fails. Let’s say Milton is 2/6 for 26 yards in a given game at the end of Q1 & his 4 “incompletions” are: a throwaway bc of OL breakdown, 2 downfield drops by the WRs, & then leading the WR by a yard or two too many.. what’s typically our fans’ takeaway? That he has a trash completion % & is wholly inaccurate? Or that we pulled an Amber Heard & collectively shat the bed as an offense?

Stats don’t always paint the full picture.. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I think we will see this coming year, if our offensive scheme changes with Nico, or if it stays the same. I feel like we will have much more downfield passing with Nico, and also the middle of the field. If I am wrong and its the same offensive scheme then Milton was never the problem. And I tend to agree with you to a point, I have just been concerned this year with very little downfield attempts compared to 2022

Reactions: murfvol1
I always thought a QB shouldn't be penalized for dropped catchable balls. If that's the case then a WR that has say 120 receiving yards in a game but also has 20 yards in dropped catchable balls then the stats should read 120-20 for a net of 100.

The same can be said for the QB...He throws a 4 yard pass but the receiver takes it for 70....the the QB should not get credit for 70 yards when it was a 4 yard completion.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgrish
I think we will see this coming year, if our offensive scheme changes with Nico, or if it stays the same. I feel like we will have much more downfield passing with Nico, and also the middle of the field. If I am wrong and its the same offensive scheme then Milton was never the problem. And I tend to agree with you to a point, I have just been concerned this year with very little downfield attempts compared to 2022
It’s a different qb with a different skillset, so yeah I’m sure the play calling will change slightly with what we dial up.. but our scheme won’t change at all lol when it comes to play calling, you also have to take into consideration the confidence our coaches have in WRs getting open enough to risk it, not just their confidence in the QB. I vividly remember a number of times Milton was dancing in the backfield & it being due to nobody being able to get open. There were also times it was due to his inability to read certain defensive schemes/set up, but like @Tnphil alluded to above - the QB is almost always the focal point of a play’s result. It would be nice to see the kind of breakdown he mentioned, I’ve wanted that for years

We won 8 games this year in the regular season......Joe wasnt great, but he wasnt absolutely awful either. Again, none of us here know if Nico was ready. If you have faith in CJH, then probably should go with HIS opinion as he has millions of reasons to get it right.

Im amazed the coaches dont check with some of the fans more often. Can you imagine how many NCs we could have had over the years if only these watercooler coaches were involved?

Crazy thing is with expanded practice squad rosters etc…he will collect some type of NFL paycheck for at least 5 years. Probably get a pension out of it as well.
I don’t think so. If he sticks around on a practice squad he’ll be in the league 2 years max. Teams keep shuffling in younger guys every year or two, especially P Squad QB’s, or “camp arms” as they’re called in the league.

I don’t think so. If he sticks around on a practice squad he’ll be in the league 2 years max. Teams keep shuffling in younger guys every year or two, especially P Squad QB’s, or “camp arms” as they’re called in the league.
Quite possible but stranger things have happened…Tyler Bray stuck on practice squads forever and Nathan Peterman keeps making teams as well. Nothing would surprise me either way when it comes to Joe.

It didn’t work bc you’re dense as f*** lol

The senior bowl has never been about the best of the best. They try to get players with draft potential who have no more eligibility as a showcase for players who may be overlooked or undervalued. They get a chance to practice with NFL staffs and show what they can do. Milton has potential if nothing else, but he apparently wet the bed at the Senior Bowl.

Quite possible but stranger things have happened…Tyler Bray stuck on practice squads forever and Nathan Peterman keeps making teams as well. Nothing would surprise me either way when it comes to Joe.
Bray was a 3 year starter in college, Peterman was drafted in the 5th round. I get what you’re saying though, it’s not a horrible point, I just don’t see it happening for Joe.

You can save this post though and if he’s still on a roster 5 years from now I’ll venmo you 10 bucks.

The senior bowl has never been about the best of the best. They try to get players with draft potential who have no more eligibility as a showcase for players who may be overlooked or undervalued. They get a chance to practice with NFL staffs and show what they can do. Milton has potential if nothing else, but he apparently wet the bed at the Senior Bowl.
Don’t lecture me lol I know exactly what the senior bowl is, the person I responded to claimed Joe was playing with “the best” players at the WR & OL positions by being in the senior bowl.

Regarding him “wetting the bed” in the game, I advise you to read an actual full write-up on it before you assume that from a tweet or two or VN lol yes, he had two picks but otherwise didn’t really play that bad; one of them the WR stopped running as Joe let go of the ball & the other WAS on Joe.

I have been one of Milton's critics all season, but the best advice someone could give him right now, would be to forgo the NFL and try to get signed on with the CFL or USFL.
He has the measurables, and it might eventually come together for him, but it will probably never happen when bouncing from NFL practice squads.

If he doesn't get drafted, that means teams in the NFL have no real investment in him and he could easily get lost in the shuffle and be totally out of football in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I hope he earned his degree. NFL, CFL, USFL, it doesnt matter - a QB that does not scramble will not work at the next level

I very seriously doubt he gets drafted. He's a one read QB. That doesn't work at all in the NFL, arm strength or not.

I don't know how well Milton will do in the NFL. My guy says probably not well.

But as far as your comment, plenty of "1 read QBs" get drafted every year, and some even get drafted in the 1st every now and then "cough Justin Fields".... cough cough "Trey Lance".

Granted they were 21 even they were drafted and not 24.

But they are considered all stars, in order to be invited. I was wrong on the best of the best.

VN Store

Back