Joe Milton’s future

At this very moment if Hooker went down and Milton wasn't there we're looking at McDermott? Smith? and I'm sure there's another one?

IF we had a lead and Hooker got injured, I'd trust Milton's experience to execute enough handoffs, dumps, etc to maintain a lead. The other guys have zero or next to zero real game experience in any form.

That's not an endorsement of Milton (and I WAS a believer in him) but just a measure of what else we have besides Milton and Hooker.
Shuler will be #3 QB.

Why are so many people in such a hurry to pass judgment on Milton? It's not like he is taking practice reps from anyone - Maurer is gone, Bailey is gone, Jackson isn't here yet and likely will need a year to develop. I don't see the harm in letting Milton continue to improve. I have been disappointed in what he has shown so far, but I will like him a lot better if Hendon goes down and the option is an untested freshman or a walk-on.

And, as far as very good athletes making boneheaded plays in critical situations, the list covers the whole alphabet, or at least B(uckner) to W(eber). It does not mean they never did nor ever will contribute anything positive.
Anonymous posters on internet forums get emotionally invested in one starter over another, and the problem is amplified as a need to get e-cred for being right when they called college athletes irredeemable garbage.

Anonymous posters on internet forums get emotionally invested in one starter over another, and the problem is amplified as a need to get e-cred for being right when they called college athletes irredeemable garbage.
Ding, ding, ding…winner, winner, chicken dinner

Why are so many people in such a hurry to pass judgment on Milton? It's not like he is taking practice reps from anyone - Maurer is gone, Bailey is gone, Jackson isn't here yet and likely will need a year to develop. I don't see the harm in letting Milton continue to improve. I have been disappointed in what he has shown so far, but I will like him a lot better if Hendon goes down and the option is an untested freshman or a walk-on.

And, as far as very good athletes making boneheaded plays in critical situations, the list covers the whole alphabet, or at least B(uckner) to W(eber). It does not mean they never did nor ever will contribute anything positive.

My best guess is that some of these guys don't believe their doctors know what they are doing either and quit taking their anxiety drugs. Some have drifted into an athletic based Napolean complex. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, "I hope I am wrong." Can't forget the universal disclaimer.

Heupel should be bringing in talent that will start ahead of Milton next year if HH goes down. If he’s not he’s derelict in recruiting. How is it we have schools all around us playing freshman at all positions on the field effectively including QB but when it comes to UT, it can’t happen they always seem to need a year? If Heupel doesn’t bring someone in that becomes #2 QB on day 1, he ain’t doing it right.

Heupel should be bringing in talent that will start ahead of Milton next year if HH goes down. If he’s not he’s derelict in recruiting. How is it we have schools all around us playing freshman at all positions on the field effectively including QB but when it comes to UT, it can’t happen they always seem to need a year? If Heupel doesn’t bring someone in that becomes #2 QB on day 1, he ain’t doing it right.
If Salter wasnt such an idiot he would be # 2

Frankly I feel good about Milton as a backup. A little more accuracy and he could be the next Steve McNair. He's got a good attitude and stepped in credibly a few times when Hooker went out. As far as I am concerned he is a Vol and I trust him a lot more than JG.

Reactions: A.J.
Frankly I feel good about Milton as a backup. A little more accuracy and he could be the next Steve McNair. He's got a good attitude and stepped in credibly a few times when Hooker went out. As far as I am concerned he is a Vol and I trust him a lot more than JG.

I saw how he played completely opposite from you. He needs a lot more accuracy, and looked terrible when Hooker was out. I don't really view him any better or worse than JG. They both should be playing for UAB or Bowling Green.

Reactions: 508mikey

Obviously is physically gifted and has only been in a verifiable good coaching system for way less than a year. He now has some valuable game experience and lots of film to study. Staff should know pretty quick if he can add the intangibles necessary to be productive in our system. If not, I am sure he will be on his way. The reward side of his risk/reward is very high and I am sure why he started earlier this year. Lights do not always come on and he may simply not be wired the way a good QB has to be, but have not seen any character issues with him.

VN Store

Back